GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Can confirm, I don't think that GFR is the best band ever. "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)" is cool, though.

Nor is Iced Earth, but their good stuff does place them among my faves. A handful of their records border on trash, though, if that makes you feel any better.

The choice between DT and Dark Saga was really, really hard. I ultimately went with DT.

And I agree, Labrie and Barlow isn't a fair comparison. It's like comparing a basketball player to a baseball player.

Dark Saga is already one of Iced Earth’s most popular albums, so to say people are just voting for the band is unarguably false.

Dark Saga is already one of Iced Earth’s most popular albums, so to say people are just voting for the band is unarguably false.
Let's not confuse a discussion masking subjective opinions as objective assessments with facts. :p

It has the lowest sales from the four 1996-2004 albums, unlike all of their following albums it never even charted anywhere and it is arguably even in the lower count of reviews on Metal Archives (and rated much lower than the first three albums or even Dystopia or Incorruptible), so I'm not sure this is 100 % correct...

It has the lowest sales from the four 1996-2004 albums, unlike all of their following albums it never even charted anywhere and it is arguably even in the lower count of reviews on Metal Archives, so I'm not sure this is 100 % correct...
That is a very blunt way of measuring fanbase support.

You're saying that as if Animals was a bad song. Sure the lyrics are stupid and only there for shock value (as is the title), but seriously, it's a great heavy rocker, something Blackie Lawless excelled at writing back in the day. The immature shock-rock image of W.A.S.P. shouldn't fool anyone over the fact that they are an extremely good band with a sound that is as heavy as the eighties could get.
Thank you. One of W.A.S.P.'s greatest early hits. Hell of an opener and I love the speed metal edge to it.

Also, everyone calling Fever a filler track needs to get their ears cleaned. One of my all time favorites from Screamin'

Despite Bring Your Daughter... Being a number one single, I can still comfortably claim it isn't anywhere near Maiden's most popular songs. :D

Fair point. Still, I would like to see evidence of TDS's popularity, I guess.

Fair point. Still, I would like to see evidence of TDS's popularity, I guess.
Maybe this isn't exactly evidence, but "Dark Saga" is one of the band's favorite songs to pick as a concert opener, "The Hunter" is a setlist staple as well, and "A Question of Heaven" is widely regarded as one of the band's biggest fan favorites.

Dang, the first matchup is hard. Tallica offers a crisp heavy product while Keeper has a soft place in my heart from teenage years. At the same time, I can only listen to so much of Lars’ drumming and Helloween’s frantic riffing before I get tired of both.

Still, I want to applaud the two Keeper albums for how fun they are. Those endless guitar harmonies, wacky sound effects and Kiske’s vocal acrobatics are as endearing as they are cheesy.

As we come into the final stretch, Helloween is just one vote ahead of Metallica in their quest to end post-Cliff thrash in the GMAC. The other matchups are probably out of recovery range.

So it makes sense to vote for you know who unless you want to be turned into a pumpkin.
I still went with Metallica as they display more maturity and more well-crafted songs. Helloween is all over the place on Keeper pt. 1, struggling to string riffs together. Keeper pt. 2 is more developed.

Back