GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Sad that Metallica came back to beat Helloween, but honestly, not enough to use my held vote to change the outcome.
Judas Priest gets rid of W.A.S.P.
Dream Theater finishes off Iced Earth.
Judas Priest does the same to Death.

Round of 32 Matchups Set:
Metallica - Metallica vs. Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Dream Theater - Images and Words vs. Judas Priest - Painkiller

Priest vs Dream Theater will be interesting. Not in terms of music, obviously, but much true colours will be showed and thankfully one will lose.

Priest vs Dream Theater will be interesting. Not in terms of music, obviously, but much true colours will be showed and thankfully one will lose.
i don't even like painkiller that much, but it's way better than bore theater (apart from train of thought)

Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 1, Loudwire 1, Metal Rules 24, Metalstorm 2, DigitalDreamDoor 1, Metal Kingdom 13
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @matic22, @Midnight, @Yax
League 1 - Match 25vs.
Dream_Theater_-_Metropolis_Pt._2-_Scenes_from_a_Memory.jpg

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 3
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard, @Collin, @KidInTheDark666, @Midnight, @Saapanael, @The Dissident, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Running Wild - Death or Glory 21-14.
League 2: Defeated Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas 22-10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abigail_%28King_Diamond_album%29.jpg

King Diamond - Abigail (1987)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 41, Metal Rules 52, Metalstorm 20, DigitalDreamDoor 79
Maidenfans Nominators: @Diesel 11, @Whooten
League 1 - Match 26vs.
The_Chemical_Wedding.jpg

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Collin, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @Kalata, @karljant, @LooseCannon, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Poto, @The Flash, @Yax
League 3: Defeated Gamma Ray - Land of the Free 28-7.
League 2: Defeated Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 24-9.

Black_Sabbath_Heaven_and_Hell.jpg

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 37, Loudwire 23, Metal Rules 43, Metalstorm 11, DigitalDreamDoor 58, Metal Kingdom 24
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @LooseCannon, @matic22, @mckindog, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Poto, @The Dissident, @Yax
League 1 - Match 27vs.
Black_Sabbath_SbS.jpg

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 36, Metalstorm 39, DigitalDreamDoor 39
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @karljant, @Mosh, @srfc
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Judas Priest - Firepower 18-15.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
IronMaiden_NumberOfBeast.jpg

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (1982)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 4, Loudwire 3, Metal Rules 2, Metalstorm 3, DigitalDreamDoor 3, Metal Kingdom 10
Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard, @Cornfed Hick, @Kalata, @matic22, @phantomoftheicarus, @Poto, @srfc, @The Dissident, @Yax
League 1 - Match 28vs.
Iron_Maiden_-_Brave_New_World.jpg

Iron Maiden - Brave New World (2000)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 60
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @FTB, @Kalata, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @matic22, @Midnight, @MrKnickerbocker, @phantomoftheicarus, @srfc, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Symphony X - V: New Mythology Suite 26-9.
League 2: Defeated Sepultura - Beneath the Remains 28-5.

Fuckin' god fuckin' damn fuckin' shit fuckin' ass fuckin' hell fuckin' Christ fuckin' Jesus fuckin' lord fuckin' Scheiße.

Genuinely difficult first match, but the anti-Dream Theater coalition must live on, I suppose. And Paranoid is a really strong album so I feel modestly good voting for it. Actually, no. Fuck it. I'm going to vote for Dream Theater because the winner of this round is going up against my favorite album ever. I've gotta be strategic at this stage. And I think that Dream Theater will be easier to beat that fucking Black Sabbath.

Okay. Abigail deserved so much better. It is a truly brilliantly mapped-out concept album with the right amount of campy horror to make it a true classic. Songs like "The Family Ghost", the title track, and that excellent finale "Black Horsemen" are monsters. But there's no way I'm voting against The Chemical Wedding, an album where every. single. second. is utter perfection. Again, it's my pick to win the entire battle, so I'm not going to give out pity points when it's the rival. But fuck me, this one stings.

Black Sabbath versus Black Sabbath. Well I'm obviously going to go with Black Sabbath. With Dio.

Iron Maiden versus Iron Maiden. Look, The Number of the Beast is great and all, but it's not among their most consistent records; there are little dips in quality that jumble the experience (even though the highlights are metal classics for a reason). On the contrary, Brave New World is one of Maiden's most consistent albums. Not a bad song in the batch and one of my favorite of their records.

Back