GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Helloween is all over the place on Keeper pt. 1, struggling to string riffs together. Keeper pt. 2 is more developed.
:facepalm:

First of all, this is not a battle between Keepers 1 and 2.
And please do not try to make your reasons look like they're objective. Struggling to string riffs together? All over the place? In your head perhaps.
Keepers 1 does not contain weaker songs a la Rise and Fall.

:facepalm:

First of all, this is not a battle between Keepers 1 and 2.
And please do not try to make your reasons look like they're objective. Struggling to string riffs together? All over the place? In your head perhaps.
Keepers 1 does not contain weaker songs a la Rise and Fall.
That assessment is just as subjective and you are presenting it as a fact as well.
Personally, I love Rise and Fall.

Helloween (A 'fresh air' album and one of the greatest in history of Metal. Epic songs, new sound, amazing singer…meanwhile the Black album is a lack of essence what Metallica were. It has a couple of good songs in the Side A)
Priest (Another classic Metal album of all time, what can I say…I dore Crimson Idol but Screaming wins this time)
Theater (I don't like any of both bands, but I had to vote for one of them)
Priest (Another peak in Priest History, new sound, faster, raw and a bunch of great songs as always)

Last edited:
One can like a riff more than another riff, one can like a song more than another song. One can like another album more than another (yes, that is the essence). Those are opinions. It's taste. But the rest in that statement certainly urged me to react. Sorry if that sounded a little direct. Here another attempt:

Maybe we're having a language problem here but how on earth can we hear that the riffs on Keepers 1 (and not 2??) are "all over the place"? "Struggling to string riffs together"? I fail to see how that objectively can be true, nor do I see how that is correct judgement (or opinion, but in this case that term sounds odd). Maybe I'm wrong, but then it'd be nice to know what is so more all over the place than on 2. I'm a Helloween fan so I'm interested in this.

Besides being a way longer album, Keepers 2 was produced differently. It sounds a little different. It has a mix the band (or at least the majority of them) was more satisfied about, I believe. But the way they spread and connected riffs? That was not essentially different, or at least not more over the top on 1 than on 2.

EDIT:
Both albums (or all songs) were written in the same period. The band wanted to release it as a double album. So the songwriting cannot have evolved much. Maybe the playing?

Last edited:
Ok...

Other than a handful of tracks I really dislike the black album. Keeper Pt 2 is good (not as good as the previous two) so this one's simple: Helloween.

Screaming For Vengeance is an excellent record but so is The Crimson Idol. It's a virtual tie but since there's so much Priest still in the game I'll go with WASP.

Pull Me Under, Take The Time, Metropolis versus MacFarlane metal? Yeah right... Dream Theater.

And finally the toughest match here. Or not as tough since... Well look... if it was up to me we'd call it a day and give the GMA gold medal to Painkiller straight away. IMO it's the most iconic, most representative of what the genres is and a near perfect metal album. But I'll give Death a charity vote since it's also a brutal album. And after it's gone I'll vote Painkiller against whatever crosses its way.

Well, uhm, have we really offended each other? Did we say bad things? I'll try to leave it alone, but this topic has had more heated debates than this.

I was trying to find out how this "opinion" (reasoning) works, and maybe it is very insightful and perhaps I can learn about new elements in these songs.

Well, uhm, have we really offended each other? Did we say bad things? I'll try to leave it alone, but this topic has had more heated debates than this.

I was trying to find how this "opinion" works, and maybe it is very insightful and perhaps I can learn about new elements in these songs.

This wasn't directed at your latest post, it was about the misunderstanding prior to that. I'm not censoring you Foro, I'm not asking you to leave anything alone or not do something, I'm not telling you off, I'm not telling you not to have a discussion or not to ask people about their opinions. I'm responding to your initial reaction to Saap and I'm giving you advice for what to do if you read similar posts in the future that may prompt you to write "And please do not try to make your reasons look like they're objective." - go by the assumption that it's an expression of opinion and people don't feel like writing "in my opinion" every time.

It's just advice aimed at making things a bit friendlier and easier here, you don't have to take it, there won't be any moderator response if you don't take it, you won't be censored, you won't be told off, you won't be told to not do something, it's just very simply an advice to make life a little easier. Take it or don't, it's up to you.

I admit that between

and Beauregard's constant shit-talking about Endless Sacrifice I would sometimes really like to know the criteria of what makes a good songwriting for these people. Musically educated people, at that.
I only shit talk the musically masturbatory part in the middle, which is only a minute or two if I recall correctly. It takes me out of the vibe of the song, and I don’t think it fits. The rest of the song is great, but still not my fave from that album.

Songwriting quality is subjective.

Back