GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Mostly because I would rather listen to NOTB’s fillers than those of the opponent. When BNW is weak, it’s some of Maiden’s weakest material.
Which BNW tracks do you consider to be “some of Maiden’s weakest”? There’s some filler, for sure, but I wouldn’t call a single song weak.

Meanwhile, I find Gangland and Invaders to be absolutely bottom of the barrel Maiden.

Dream Theatre - Average stuff, singer can't convey any real emotion which is the major draw back
Such an interestingly specific comment when voting for Ozzy...

Which BNW tracks do you consider to be “some of Maiden’s weakest”? There’s some filler, for sure, but I wouldn’t call a single song weak.

Meanwhile, I find Gangland and Invaders to be absolutely bottom of the barrel Maiden.

Such an interestingly specific comment when voting for Ozzy...
Ozzy is that crazy homeless guy spilling his guts on the corner while Labrie is the tedious professor who makes history sound like drying paint. No contest in the emotionally engaging category.

10: Beast, Hallowed, Brave
9 Damned, Prisoner, Wicker, Ghost, Blood
8 Hills, Invaders, Acacia, Dream, Planet, Thin Line
7 Gangland, Eclipse, Mercenary, Nomad
6 Fallen

Both Ozzy and LaBrie have unique voices that are arguably kinda bad. But for my money Ozzy is surprisingly well-adept at using his limited range. Like I’ve said before, his performance in Lita Ford’s “Close My Eyes Forever” really showcases his talents very well. But also solo Ozzy > Ozzy Sabbath.

I didn't like LaBrie much at first, even when I already loved DT, but I became accustomed to his voice over time. I think he's a really really good fit for most of DT's music.
If this tournament has shown me anything, it's that the singer's voice determines much of what we like on first impression. More often I find bands with a great instrumental section and unsatisfactory vocals than the opposite. Sympathy towards a certain singer is very personal, and even if technical capability can be measured to an extent, that's not the first thing that determines whether we like a singer or not. Dave Mustaine isn't an outstanding singer but his voice doesn't make Rust in Peace any less of a magnificent album. Dio had great control over his voice but I personally find him a bit boring, and so on.
If I had to pick a singer I have the most sympathy towards, it would probably be Rob Halford. That's not to say he's better than others, but the combination of his voice and presence are what I look for in a singer.

To be honest, it was a lazy jab at LaBrie, he isn't awful, the track in question was ok and I singled him out as it was getting to the 4 and a half minute mark in the song and I couldn't remember anything vocally that grabbed my attention completely in the previous 4 minutes which is usually de rigueur for a track in that style, i.e mid length not particularly instrumental driven. It's hard to write something critical, when the real truth is that there isn't anything particular bad or wrong with DT other than what they write doesn't click with me.

The Nomad is a real slog for me. The middle section redeems it a little, but I have cooled on even that over the years. It doesn’t help that they lifted it from another song, although I am not going to as much of a hard time about it as others have.

While it has a lot to offer in energy, I think Out of the Silent Planet is a really weak attempt at a classic Maiden rocker (especially noticeable considering there are so many other instant Maiden classics on the album). The guitars sound dull and lifeless, and it all feels really plodding. I don’t like the vocal overdubs in the chorus or the melody. Diving deep into this song for the still unreleased Wrathchildren cover really drove home that I do not like the song.

I find Invaders to be an enjoyable if forgettable NWOBHM rocker. It does what it needs to do and doesn’t lack in energy. Also great guitar playing. Gangland is definitely bottom of the barrel for 80s Maiden, but honestly I would still rather listen to that than either of the above mentioned BNW tracks

Length is also a factor. Invaders and Gangland are short songs, while OOTSP and The Nomad make up a pretty big chunk of the run time.

I would say that it's 'Experimental Prog rock' but they have been influenced many Metal bands and progressive Metal bands. These days I'm listening their discography

I would say that it's 'Experimental Prog rock' but they have been influenced many Metal bands and progressive Metal bands. These days I'm listening their discography

Yeah, I know they are technically not metal ... but if the crunch of Rush is enough for them to be present, I'd say the crunch of KC must be enough as well, that was my line of thought.

Great to see some appreciation (apart from The Flash, I think, who's a known fan) - any particular highlights? (album-wise, song-wise, exact-performance-wise?)

(Just last question before I stop digressing in this thread)

They’re certainly metal adjacent, heavier than a few bands that were featured here for sure. I’ve listened to the discography multiple times as well as many bootlegs, for metal fans I recommend Thrak, Red, Larks Tongues in Aspic, and the debut.

Yeah I would like that they take would take part of the match but I think they will loose. I know that many people here like DT or Tool but they didn't dig in the roots which these bands have been influenced.

As KC highlights I will say that Red and Islands are my favorites albums. Starless, the court of the Crimson King, Larks tongues in Aspic part II, Red, Islands, 21st century schizoid man, Epitaph, Discipline, In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Formentera Lady, The Devil's Triangle, Peace. There are a lot of songs that you could think that a Metal band would cover em.
I would say that they were pioneers in experiment with different sounds and create weird atmospheres.

The 70's were an explosion of so may fabulous bands…

But…If King Crimson were nominated for a grammy along with Metallica and finally wins OMG what would Lars say? :lol:

Last edited:
Surprised to see the trouncing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is getting. Not sure why, just surprised by the scale of the lead. I listened to both today (not for the first time) and I couldn't choose. Both leave a bad(ish) taste, both had class moments and both have songs that bore me. Like most Sabbath albums, truth be told. I suppose it wont matter but SBS will probably get my vote; the high points are much higher. Alrhough Heaven And Hell is likely my favourite from both.
BWN vs TNOTB is also interesting. I remember being 8 or so and listening to Beast and constantly rewinding the cassette every 20secs to listen again to a particular part. I loved that album so. But then BNW came out when I was 17, young and very pretty, and my first listen was outside on a sunny day on a shockingly loud and bassy ghetto blaster. I didnt think I could ever be happier. Listening to BNW again today cemented my opinion of recent years; great start, great finish, not so great middle, overall feels like a chore. Take out Dream and Nomad and you have a winner. Well, keep the Beckett bit of Nomad, its fabulous. So TNOTB may be a better listening experience because its shorter but then again, do the best songs off one trump the other? Someone will die, I have yet to decide who.

DT
Brucey - I think I would enjoy King Diamond if only they had different vocals
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - both albums sound great, I'm not too familiar with Sabbath but Ozzy Sabbath seems more my thing
The Number of the Beast

Question wasn’t directed at me but I’ll answer: Blood Brothers is one of Maiden’s more repetitive and boring tracks.

Both are great albums, and I nominated them both, but there is a clear right choice: Beast. I mean, come on, people. Especially now that Total Eclipse is officially back on the tracklist. And as much as I love BNW, I don’t think it has a single track that can rival Hallowed, NOTB, or 22 Acacia Avenue, which is the album’s most under-appreciated masterpiece.

Also, the notion that NOTB is more inconsistent or has more filler than BTW is truly bizarro.

Last edited:
Back