GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

cf880865-6cc5-40d4-a46d-2fcc61c232b7-jpeg.14286
I’m not a monster, I’m just ahead of the curve.

Last edited:
Oof, another rough one. Accident Of Birth is a great album that I would happily listen to over and over again, but Master Of Puppets is transcendent. The power, the epicness, the brutality of the thrash riffage contrasted with beautiful gentle sections make up a true metal masterpiece. Sorry, Dieser Kiddie’s MooseCalatianaman — I feel like a traitor, but I’ve gotta keep it real and go for Diesjer MrPhanterFTBornfeddie’s Hicktravis The Droopotaxianaflashmidsrfmaticman33‘s nominee here. Winner: Metallica
Huh, didn't you run a Bruce or Adrian website for years? Massive betrayal!
= = = = = = =

Accident of Birth is a very melodic and well sounding album. I realize many people (including Bruce himself) prefer The Chemical Wedding and that album has some of my favourite tracks (e.g. King In Crimson) but as a whole album I find AOB more enthralling to listen to. It has quite some nice moody moments as well. Man of Sorrows (a fantastic song, every second of it!, the chord progressions are right up my alley when it comes to taste I guess), the title track, Taking the Queen, Starchildren, Darkside, Omega.... The mood, the melodies, the harmonies, the groove (Starchildren!), it's all there. I'd also say the album has a lot of variation (and perhaps even originality). There's a full on acoustic song and the album contains different rhythms. It doesn't have monotone segments. On most AOB songs there's a lot of musical depth. Highly enjoyable AOB tracks:
1. Starchildren
2. Taking the Queen
3. Accident of Birth
4. Darkside of Aquarius
5. Man of Sorrows
6. Omega

vs

Master of Puppets. Great title track, overrated album.

Last edited:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell, Master of Reality, Paranoid
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding
Dio - Holy Diver
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. II
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death, Brave New World, Powerslave, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time
Judas Priest - British Steel, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller, Sad Wings of Destiny, Screaming For Vengeance, Sin After Sin, Stained Class
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, Rust in Peace
Metallica - Master of Puppets, Metallica, Ride the Lightning
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
Slayer - Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss

What are your thoughts on the top 32? Anything terribly surprising? Who are your favourites?

I wouldn't have anything by Dream Theatre, Helloween or Opeth anywhere near as high as the top 32 (probably not anywhere in my personal top 320!). Scorpions that high is a bit of a surprise too.

Priest having more than Maiden is an atrocity. The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind not there absolutely beggars belief. Bruce having two there is Maiden bias, although they would absolutely be in my personal top 32. Maiden haven't exactly brought a knife to a gunfight but they haven't brought some of their big guns.

Who the fuck knocked Rising out?

Last edited:
Megadeth v Iron Maiden - There's nothing on Peace Sells within an asses roar of Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave or Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Weakest track from Maiden, Losfer Words smashes I Ain't Superstitious.

Iron Maiden with the win

Bruce Dickinson v Metallica - Again Accident of Birth is a real good record but has nothing in the ball park of Master of Puppets, Orion, Battery, Sanitarium or Damage Inc.

Metallica with the win

I wouldn't have anything by Dream Theatre, Helloween or Opeth anywhere near as high as the top 32 (probably not anywhere in my personal top 320!).
:oops: Helloween should be in your 300. Their music is not that alien if you're into awesome tunes with awesome melodies and guitars

Priest having more than Maiden is an atrocity
Welcome to your updated insight into Priest greatness.

Bruce having two there is Maiden bias, although they would absolutely be in my personal top 32.
Eh? Where are we here? What is in your top 32? What's the problem?

Last edited:
Powerslave - no contest here... (ROTAM alone beats whole albums).

Accident Of Birth - the best solo album of Bruce imo. I'm not a big fan of Master Of Puppets.

I feel bad about voting against AOB. I really love the album, it´s Top 3 Bruce solo and it would beat alot of the other remaining albums easily but Puppets is the better album here.

Welcome to your updated insight into Priest greatness.

Eh? Where are we here? What is in your top 32? What's the problem?

RE: Priest, I like all those albums but Sad Wings, Painkiller and British Steel are more than enough for the top 32, I'd absolutely have the rest in my top 100 though. The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind not being there is outrageous both miles ahead of even Sad Wings.

RE: Bruce, not a problem more an observation. They are niche albums that passed the rest of the world by, even passed a significant amount of Maiden fans by, considering their sales figures compared to even the Balze!!11 albums. So on the one hand it's good to see that we recognise their greatness, is there a bit of over compensation going on? Also, neither of those anywhere near as good as The Number of the Beast or Piece of Mind.

Blame the majority of the Maidenfans voters for kicking out these Maiden albums. They favoured other stuff and this is what they have caused.

The Bruce albums have always been very popular here on this forum.

RE: Priest, I like all those albums but Sad Wings, Painkiller and British Steel are more than enough for the top 32, I'd absolutely have the rest in my top 100 though.
These are low positions for all those superb albums. Pardon me but imo you do not understand the importance, impact and popularity of Judas Priest.

Of course I'm half serious. If you didn't like these albums that much, that's fine of course. I'm glad these albums were huge in my metal upbringing, which started much later than yours. You lived the Priest years, didn't you? What they did in the seventies was more metal than anyone else. Even more than Sabbath. Sabbath invented metal, Priest was the ultimate essence of metal, the whole package.

Last edited:
These are low positions for all those superb albums. Pardon me but imo you do not understand the importance, impact and popularity of Judas Priest.

Of course I'm half serious. If you didn't like these albums that much, that's fine of course. I'm glad these albums were huge in my metal upbringing, which started much later than yours. You lived the Priest years, didn't you? What they did in the seventies was more metal than anyone else. Even more than Sabbath. Sabbath invented metal, Priest was the ultimate essence of metal, the whole package.

No I reckon we are probably around the same age, I remember a discussion before about A Real Live One that suggested we were bought very much in our early days of Metal when that album came out.

I do love all those Priest albums, and I think the forum has done a much better job at picking out the best Priest than it has Maiden. If you asked me to name the best 7 Priest albums they are the 7 I would pick, definitely. But I think one band having almost 1/4 of the top 32 is too much, even for Maiden.

I might comment on the top 32 later, now just regarding the two pairings at hand:

Powerslave is my favourite 80's Maiden record, the only one, in fact, that I rank as high as the reunion stuff or TXF. A long time ago, I used to think the middle part drags and that people overrate it because of the beginning and the ending, but no, over time I've grown accustomed even to the deeper cuts (I still have my reservations about Back in the Village, though) and I found out I tend to play these even separately (and recently even more often that the "hits" off this album). Especially The Duellists, I'd say.
And the title track, with the absolutely sublime instrumental part (ohmigosh, the harmonies) and ROTAM (which is praised absolutely correctly) make it win, win, win. And 2 minutes deserves much more to be the "overplayed radio hit" than NOTB, Hills or even Trooper. A much more subtle, intriguing, cool song.

I love Peace Sells, but this is no real contest. My favourites being especially the title track and My Last Words (man, such a great ending to the album), I'll be sad to see this one go (especially when we have half of the fucking Priest discography in here), but PS kicks its ass mercilessly.

---

Hmm... Accident of Birth is the best Dickinson album, no contest. Colourful and diverse (you get stuff like Welcome to the Pit next to Arc of Space), sometimes epic (Aquarius), catchy, energetic, goal-oriented (even Wedding would become a much more monotone, sometimes rehashing (Book of Thel) attempt at "streamlining", I guess? Also with much more dudebroing). And I would vote for it against many lesser albums, although I really, really dislike BD and pretty much everything about him. I have in fact supported him repeatedly in this cup.

And the second half of Puppets does feel like a slog at times. You get the constipated Leper Messiah, Orion feels really overlong, Damage has a minute of pointless intro, even Disposable Heroes feel a tad redundant after the whole Side A. And even on that one - heck, the slow section of the title track feels really tacked on. Like a glued-together mug. But it's moving and powerful and feels great nonetheless.

And Battery is the reason why metal was invented. And Lars at his worst (Napster? The Some Kind of Monster whining?) was still less obnoxious than Bruce at his best. Tullica it is.

(*spoiler) - that second to last sentence was at least 50 % tongue in cheek.

And so we make it to the finals.

The Round of 32 will be run with two matches at a time, two days each.

After everything, here are the bands who made it to the finals!

Dio - Holy Diver
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death, Brave New World, Powerslave, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time
Judas Priest - British Steel, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller, Sad Wings of Destiny, Screaming For Vengeance, Sin After Sin, Stained Class
Opeth - Blackwater Park

What are your thoughts on the top 32? Anything terribly surprising? Who are your favourites?
Painkiller, Rust In Piece, some Maiden - those are my favourites.

No I reckon we are probably around the same age, I remember a discussion before about A Real Live One that suggested we were bought very much in our early days of Metal when that album came out.

I do love all those Priest albums, and I think the forum has done a much better job at picking out the best Priest than it has Maiden. If you asked me to name the best 7 Priest albums they are the 7 I would pick, definitely. But I think one band having almost 1/4 of the top 32 is too much, even for Maiden.
Well, these were "One on one" battles.
Hard to beat albums in all those rounds.
I fear a lot may go out soon now. With all that love for American metal out here.

I thought you were older or at least started way earlier with liking metal. Just an idea I had when reading all your posts about old school metal and rock bands.

I might comment on the top 32 later, now just regarding the two pairings at hand:

Powerslave is my favourite 80's Maiden record, the only one, in fact, that I rank as high as the reunion stuff or TXF. A long time ago, I used to think the middle part drags and that people overrate it because of the beginning and the ending, but no, over time I've grown accustomed even to the deeper cuts (I still have my reservations about Back in the Village, though) and I found out I tend to play these even separately (and recently even more often that the "hits" off this album). Especially The Duellists, I'd say.
And the title track, with the absolutely sublime instrumental part (ohmigosh, the harmonies) and ROTAM (which is praised absolutely correctly) make it win, win, win. And 2 minutes deserves much more to be the "overplayed radio hit" than NOTB, Hills or even Trooper. A much more subtle, intriguing, cool song.

I love Peace Sells, but this is no real contest. My favourites being especially the title track and My Last Words (man, such a great ending to the album), I'll be sad to see this one go (especially when we have half of the fucking Priest discography in here), but PS kicks its ass mercilessly.

---

Hmm... Accident of Birth is the best Dickinson album, no contest. Colourful and diverse (you get stuff like Welcome to the Pit next to Arc of Space), sometimes epic (Aquarius), catchy, energetic, goal-oriented (even Wedding would become a much more monotone, sometimes rehashing (Book of Thel) attempt at "streamlining", I guess? Also with much more dudebroing). And I would vote for it against many lesser albums, although I really, really dislike BD and pretty much everything about him. I have in fact supported him repeatedly in this cup.

And the second half of Puppets does feel like a slog at times. You get the constipated Leper Messiah, Orion feels really overlong, Damage has a minute of pointless intro, even Disposable Heroes feel a tad redundant after the whole Side A. And even on that one - heck, the slow section of the title track feels really tacked on. Like a glued-together mug. But it's moving and powerful and feels great nonetheless.

And Battery is the reason why metal was invented. And Lars at his worst (Napster? The Some Kind of Monster whining?) was still less obnoxious than Bruce at his best. Tullica it is.

(*spoiler) - that second to last sentence was at least 50 % tongue in cheek.
So the Bruce album lost because of the person Bruce Dickinson. The musical commentary on his album came out much better than Metallica's. Look at your exact problems with the Master album. That's it exactly. Some good songs, some overlong, dull stuff. And still it wins. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Just an idea I had when reading all your posts about old school metal and rock bands.

Yeah a lot of what I like is from before my time, I fell out of love with contemporary metal in the nu-metal era, and as a replacement got into a lot of 70s bands, classic rock and even re-evaluated hair metal which I had previously laughed at.

Powerslave. We're talking here of a brilliant Maiden album. To me there are no fillers, every song is awesome here. It's the best sounding album I have. Martin Birch did a brilliant work here. Love Peace sells and it's in my top 5 thrash albums list. But Powerslave is a masterpiece.
Accident of Birth because a new and modern kind of Metal borned with this album. Don't burn me like a witch. I love Master of Puppets, Battery, the title song, Sanitarium, Lepper Messiah and Orion. It's a classic of course and the best one of Metallica but I enjoying more listening Accident of Birth, Bruce's powerful voice, riffs and those guitar solos, the creativity. Only the album cover sucks.

And so we make it to the finals.

The Round of 32 will be run with two matches at a time, two days each.

After everything, here are the bands who made it to the finals!

Dio - Holy Diver
Opeth - Blackwater Park

My favorites are: all of the Maiden albums, DOTF & Painkiller (I personally would swap any of the 70's albums of Priest with Firepower), Accident Of Birth, Keeper Of The Seven Keys: Part II and Holy Diver. | Rainbow's Rising deserves its place in the finals too.

The surprises IMO are: Opeth and Slayer - I definitely will not add them in my list (Megadeth and Dream Theater too).

There are going to be some tough choices from now on.

Back