GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I tried Dream Theater again, and spelt er right this time, I think. Well, the first song had me thinkin that maybe there is somethin in these guys but I was done somewhere in the middle of the 2nd or 3rd song. An improvement from these clowns but Scorpions walk this by virtue of me actually enjoyin their music.

7th Son vs Back In Black. So I read SRFCs comment, "tough shit DC" and I thought, "aye, exactly." But then at 7am this mornin I put Back In Black on in the car, beautiful sunny mornin, wonderin why I didnt have sunglasses in the car. And I thought of bearfans comment. And I agreed. I had assumed Maiden would walk this one but I soon realised that my ying is bigger than my yang. Or somethin. I love 7th Son, the outro of the title track is enough to beat many albums on its own but this round brought me down to brass tacks. What do I crave more, where does my passion burn brightest? Is it phenomenal, intense, moody metal or is it fabulous fun time rock n roll? The answer was the latter. The Craic, as I would call it. If I could only have only one of these albums for life, would it be teeth gritted, bone deep metal spirituality, or would it be soul infused, craic fueled party time? ACDC.

Iced Earth vs Accept; see above but with less passion. Accept. Actually, thats not fair. Accept deserve more credit here. Balls To The Wall, Lovechild, Losers and Winners, thats enough to trounce Iced Earths entire discography, for me. I love Udo.

I love Dio. I very much dislike Slayer. Ronald.

This could be the round.. from now on, all albums by thrash, death, black, well all heavier than "normal" metal bands will lose, perhaps with a couple of exceptions.

Scorpions squeaks past Dream Theater to earn a matchup against Slayer.
Iron Maiden thumps AC/DC to eliminate them. It's more Maiden on Maiden violence as they'll match up against the self titled.
Accept gets by Iced Earth. It's another match with Slayer.
Dio breaks the pattern by defeating Slayer. He'll match up with another Sabbath vocalist when he takes on Ozzy.

Megadeth_-_Peace_Sells..._But_Who%27s_Buying-.jpg

Megadeth - Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 8, Loudwire 9, Metal Rules 25, DigitalDreamDoor 23, Metal Kingdom 17
Maidenfans Nominators: @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @matic22, @srfc, @Whooten
League 1 - Match 1vs.
Countdown_album_cover.jpg

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 33, Metal Rules 50, Metalstorm 95
Maidenfans Nominators: @MrKnickerbocker, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes 20-12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 38, Loudwire 35, Metal Rules 6, Metalstorm 4, DigitalDreamDoor 11, Metal Kingdom 12
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @Dityn DJ James, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @LooseCannon, @matic22, @Midnight, @Saapanael, @srfc, @The Dissident, @The Flash
League 1 - Match 2vs.
Machine_Head_album_cover.jpg

Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 62, Metalstorm 12
Maidenfans Nominators: @matic22, @Poto, @srfc, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Soundgarden - Superunknown 20-13.

Mot%C3%B6rhead_-_Ace_of_Spades_%281980%29.jpg

Motörhead - Ace of Spades (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 12, Metal Rules 37, Metalstorm 36, DigitalDreamDoor 10, Metal Kingdom 53
Maidenfans Nominators: @Dityn DJ James
League 1 - Match 3vs.
Bruce_Dickinson_-_Accident_of_Birth_Extended.jpg

Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth (1997)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 61, Metalstorm 89
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Kalata, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @Mosh
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side 20-13.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg

Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 2, Loudwire 2, Metal Rules 1, DigitalDreamDoor 2, Metal Kingdom 45
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Cornfed Hick, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @matic22, @Midnight, @MrKnickerbocker, @phantomoftheicarus, @Poto, @srfc, @The Flash, @Travis The Dragon, @Whooten, @Yax
League 1 - Match 4vs.
Moving_Pictures.jpg

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Forostar, @Jer, @mckindog, @Midnight
Previous Rounds:
League 5: Defeated Rush - A Farewell to Kings 22-4.
League 4: Defeated Carcass - Heartwork 19-9.
League 3: Defeated Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King 20-10.
League 2: Defeated Death - Human 19-15.

Peace Sells. The guitar work is fire and the best songs on it eclipse nearly everything on Countdown. It’s a bit inconsistent but it’s what it is.

For the first time in the history of the GMAC... I’m voting Iron Maiden.

And let’s take out Motörhead with a slug to the head. Accident of Birth is a far better record than Ace of Spades, and that’s an understatement. The latter is a snoozefest.

I kinda wanna vote Rush just because I can, but Master of Puppets is a heavy contender for my top 10 favorite albums overall. So what can I say?

Easy votes for Countdown, Powerslave, and Accident of Birth.

Not so easy vote for Master, which is ultimately better and more in the style of this game than the (also excellent) Moving Pictures.

Of the two Megadeth albums the first one is the most rewarding. Peace Sells as we count down to the other album's extinction.

Deep Purple are great, Machine Head is great. Tell me why it had to be up against Powerslave? Maiden.

Motörhead is good fun, but Accident of Birth is more to my tastes and Bruce takes this.

Rush can move their pictures out of the way, cannot stop the battery. Metallica.

Peace Sells.. But Who's Buying? - It was a close run contest between this and Rust in Peace as to which one I was going to nominate from 'deth, and I chose this one, ultimately due to it featuring the All-Time Greatest Riff®
Only slightly let down by the silliness of I Ain't Superstitious, the rest are perfect

Countdown to Extinction - opinion given before

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? with the win, which you should have been able to work out when I named it among 2 albums that I was considering nominating and the other one wasn't CTE.

Iron Maiden - Classic Maiden from smack bang in the middle of their run of 80's classics. Probably the strongest bunch of Maiden big hitters on the one album with Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Deep Purple - opinion given before

Iron Maiden with the win

Motorhead - Not a huge fan of the classic line up, as I've mentioned many times, and don't think this is their best release, Overkill has more good tracks, this is an album really propelled by the success of the hit single.

Bruce Dickinson - opinion given before

Bruce Dickinson with the win

Metallica - Unlike 'deth, there was no doubt about which Metallica album was going to get the nomination. Again a flawless record, there's two tracks that I think are a bit weaker than the others in Leper Messiah and The Thing That Shouldn't Be and I reckon a lot of people reading this are now considering going and getting their pitcforks and torches. The title track is the best they ever done and we're not talking about a band who have nothing else in their locker here. Battery, Sanitarium, Disposable Heroes, Orion and Damage Inc. is some line up of yet to be mentioned tracks.

Rush - it had a good run.

Metallica
with the win

Back