GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Just to be clear: IIRC, Loosey was particularly vocal about him not wanting for this to have any rules whatsoever and that we can vote according to how much we like or dislike the cover (yay, I can vote against Holy Diver!) or according to the position of the stars or whatever, just as long as we vote.

Yes, I have been frustrated with people not being able/willing to explain their preferences, but that's just me.

However, even voting for something because that makes certain other members of the forum burst a vessel is therefore a valid approach. You all didn't hear this from me, though... :innocent::ninja:

EDIT: Also, guys, tactics. Even without the aforementioned, it was always one of the aspects of any game here to use tactics. For example, voting for something, because it has lesser of a chance standing against another future album I like more has been used many times over.
I don't do it (mainly because I'm too lazy to check out how the plan of the game goes), but how is this not legit?

Reactions: Yax
Nice input! Yes, you can prefer an album to another by any reason. That's the beauty of the term "favorite". I think Puppets is the better album, by far, but even if I didn't, I could prefer it as a body of work purely on the basis of cultural impact. This fact negates any and every objection to a vote.

Last edited:
Kids, I will turn this car around...

Voted for Powerslave and Master because they are awesome.

Also, I think Bruce’s solo stuff is significantly overrated by this forum. Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are quite good, but not top-tier, genius-level classics.

I could prefer it as a body of work purely on the basis of cultural impact. This fact negates any and every objection to a vote.

Purely? Well, I remain of the opinion that such intentions do not fit the purpose of this game. Imagine more people would have outside factors to erase (that is what purely does) their own preferences. That's like drinking coffee because one likes it the most and then say they rather drink tea (rate tea over coffee) because it had more cultural impact. This is not a "what had the biggest cultural impact on mankind" poll. We have own minds, own tastes!

I am glad to have emphasized it. People can take note of it. They can agree with it, disagree with it or ignore it.

The point of the game is to vote for your favorite, on the basis of the reasons you see fit in the particular matchup. The end. What's more is, I time and again said I think Puppets is the better album, yet you manage to somehow read past that fact. Its popularity is not why I voted for it. I don't particularly care for being likened with "sheepish". I said I might have preferred to listen to AoB on a desert island out of Maiden bias - Because I love Maiden and Bruce does some of his best singing on AoB.

But honestly, beforehand I thought any Dickinson album will stomp pretty much anything around here, especially MoP that sometimes gets contested in metal circles (yep, because it is ridiculously famous, popular and beloved, so from my experience I tend to come across quite a bit of backlash in the "tr000" circles, how Ride for example is better)

Nice to see the Brucie Bias has its limits.

Also, aren't these rounds a tad too long? I want an update already!

from my experience I tend to come across quite a bit of backlash in the "tr000" circles, how Ride for example is better

There's a huge element of that alright, and I think some of Maiden's more popular stuff suffers from that on here, i.e. Run to the Hills being ranked the 80 something-th best Maiden song. A lot of Metal fandom is about being an outsider and being part of a clique, and sometimes you get people lashing out against popularity within Metal itself and wanting to be in an even smaller clique, like that episode of South Park where the goth kid showed that he was the most non-conformist by non-conforming with the other goths:lol:

I don't really care about the reasons why people vote for any particular album, but for me the best = my favorite. The best album is the one that has the most enjoyable content in it. I don't care how influential something is if it sounds like an ass to me.

Also, I think Bruce’s solo stuff is significantly overrated by this forum. Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are quite good, but not top-tier, genius-level classics.
I kind of agree with this. I'm probably going to vote for AOB, but it's so close that it is very painful to consider.

To be fair, if AOB beat Puppets I would have banned Bruce from the 2024-5 GMAC.

Purely? Well, I remain of the opinion that such intentions do not fit the purpose of this game. Imagine more people would have outside factors to erase (that is what purely does) their own preferences. That's like drinking coffee because one likes it the most and then say they rather drink tea (rate tea over coffee) because it had more cultural impact. This is not a "what had the biggest cultural impact on mankind" poll. We have own minds, own tastes!

I am glad to have emphasized it. People can take note of it. They can agree with it, disagree with it or ignore it.
I remain of the opinion that such intentions fit the purpose of the game. Someone can vote on any criteria they see fit.

And since I created the game, I believe that is a fact.

From page 1 of this contest, first post:

Rules
  • You may choose who to vote for on any qualification. You can love the band, hate the singer, hate the video, love the vocalist, hate the vocalist, hate the hairstyle, love the drummer's dog. All votes are valid. Please explain your reasoning.

From page 1 of this contest, first post:

You may choose who to vote for on any qualification. You can ... hate the singer,

Yeah! GET GONE, DICKINSON!

How does it feel to... LOSE? LOSE to a STUPID, UNEDUCATED, YOUNG bunch of people on a STUPID FUCKING FORUM? To people who NEVER EVEN READ CROWLEY? How does it feel? Being HUMILIATED like this? They can't FLY like you do. They can't JUMP like you do! And the people who voted like this DEFINITELY PLAYED with their MOBILE PHONES during YOUR CONCERT! Didn't PAY ATTENTION! Do you FEEL ABUSED? Cold and lonely and neglected? As a LOSER? Small, pathetic LOSER?

(* sorry, I'm (mostly) kidding, I just wrote it in jest and I couldn't not share it. Sorry)

Iron Maiden thumps Megadave, to advance.
Metallica wins strongly over Bruce.

Round of 16 Matchup Set:
Iron Maiden - Powerslave vs. Metallica - Master of Puppets

Defenders_of_the_Faith.jpg

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 15, Metalstorm 37, DigitalDreamDoor 97, Metal Kingdom 14
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dityn DJ James, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Forostar, @Kalata, @mckindog, @Poto, @Saapanael
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Alice in Chains - Dirt 27-14.
Round of 32 - Match 3vs.
Megadeth-RustInPeace.jpg

Megadeth - Rust in Peace (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 19, Loudwire 33, Metal Rules 16, DigitalDreamDoor 8, Metal Kingdom 2
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Black Wizard, @Collin, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @karljant, @Midnight, @Mosh, @Saapanael, @The Flash, @Whooten, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Pantera - Cowboys From Hell 35-6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bsmor.jpg

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (1971)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 34, Loudwire 10, Metal Rules 55, Metalstorm 14, DigitalDreamDoor 7, Metal Kingdom 81
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @Midnight, @Poto, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Helloween - Walls of Jericho 25-15.
Round of 32 - Match 4vs.
Judas_Priest_British_Steel.jpg

Judas Priest - British Steel (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 3, Loudwire 31, Metal Rules 21, DigitalDreamDoor 49
Maidenfans Nominators: @matic22, @mckindog, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Scorpions - Love at First Sting 28-12.

Back