GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Megadave is done and another Priest album bites the dust as we have our first Semi-Final set:

Iron Maiden - Powerslave vs. Rainbow - Rising

Ridetl.png

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 11, Loudwire 8, Metal Rules 3, DigitalDreamDoor 6, Metal Kingdom 7
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Cornfed Hick, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Jer, @LooseCannon, @Midnight, @Perun, @Poto, @The Flash, @Whooten, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls 29-9.
Round of 32: Defeated Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time 19(ET)-19.
Round of 16: Defeated Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death 17-16.
Quarter-Finals - Match 3vs.
Judaspainkiller.JPG

Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 12, Metalstorm 1, DigitalDreamDoor 40, Metal Kingdom 1
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dityn DJ James, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Kalata, @karljant, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @mckindog, @Midnight, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Night Prowler, @Poto, @Saapanael, @Shmoolikipod, @The Flash, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 1: Defeated Death - Individual Thought Patterns 29-8.
Round of 32: Defeated Dream Theater - Images and Words 23-12.
Round of 16: Defeated Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance 31-2.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The_Chemical_Wedding.jpg

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (1998)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Ariana, @Collin, @Diesel 11, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @Kalata, @karljant, @LooseCannon, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Poto, @The Flash, @Yax
League 3: Defeated Gamma Ray - Land of the Free 28-7.
League 2: Defeated Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 24-9.
League 1: Defeated King Diamond - Chemical Wedding 34-6.
Round of 32: Defeated Black Sabbath - Paranoid 20-15.
Round of 16: Defeated Iron Maiden - Brave New World 19-14.
Quarter-Finals - Match 4vs.
Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 7, DigitalDreamDoor 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Jer, @Kalata, @matic22, @MrKnickerbocker, @Niall Kielt, @Perun, @srfc, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated AC/DC - Back in Black 31-7.
League 1: Defeated Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden 27-11.
Round of 32: Defeated Slayer - Reign in Blood 31-5.
Round of 16: Defeated Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss 30-3.

Ride the Lightning and The Chemical Wedding.

If The Chemical Wedding wins this match I’ll mail each of its voters a personal thank you note.

All of these are great albums, but the choices here are still pretty straightforward.

Ride The Lightning is a more consistent and fundamentally stronger album than the somewhat overrated Painkiller. Sorry, The Potash Kidollinatarjlant Loosaapyndog DJ Jaxie’s MrMidNighterShmoosher, but Dr WhooseCornflashed Hickianaxie’s Midpotunjerman’s choice is superior. Winner: Metallica

As much as I love The Chemical Wedding, it definitely has more weaknesses than the mindblowingly great Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Congratusorrylations, Dieser Potollinashie’s Karljeratinax MrLoosherFTBockerman, but Dr Srfcollinflashie’s Jerall Kielatamatic MrWingerPeckerman’s nominee takes this one. Winner: Iron Maiden

Metallica v Judas Priest - Pretty much of a muchness standard wise. I'm going with Ride the Lightning, it tries new things more often than Painkiller does.

Metallica with the win

Bruce Dickinson v Iron Maiden - Chemical Wedding is a great album, I'm not sure if it's that much greater than AOB and Skunkworks though, nevermind Maiden's, and therefore humanity's, best album.

Iron Maiden with the win

The ride is enough for Ride The Lightning. Very few albums stand a chance against Painkiller.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is the better album as a whole piece (and with better songs).... like Painkiller, it is all killer, no filler! One of Maiden's best albums! The Chemical Wedding has some weaknesses imo.

We're on a collision course for a Powerslave vs 7th Son championship, and I'm ok with that.
If Seventh Son wins, it has to go through either Ride the Lightning or Painkiller. And whereas Painkiller was a pre-tournament favourite and Ride the Lightning is the only album in the game with three Maiden skins, it's going to be a fight to get through the semis, whereas it seems Powerslave is a lock to get through Rising on the other side.

If Seventh Son wins, it has to go through either Ride the Lightning or Painkiller. And whereas Painkiller was a pre-tournament favourite and Ride the Lightning is the only album in the game with three Maiden skins, it's going to be a fight to get through the semis, whereas it seems Powerslave is a lock to get through Rising on the other side.

1620921015559.png

Voting for Seventh Son. I knows there's a lot of fans of Bruce's solo work here but I've given about 3 or 4 of his albums a try and they're just not for me. Yes they're full of wonderful atmosphere, guitar playing and obviously great vocal work, but something in there has never clicked for me. Maybe in a few years it will click, but for now I simply don't listen to him.

Painkiller/Ride the Lightning is one of this games all time greatest matchups. Both albums are about equal to me. I mean seriously, riff for riff, ballad for ballad, atmosphere for atmosphere, vocals for vocals, everything is about equal to me. Sure Ride the Lightning has the mastery of Cliff, but Judas Priest is one of the old guards of the genre, and Painkiller just kicks ass. In the end I had to look at it as Metallica vs Judas Priest as bands. And I like Priest just a little more. Voting for Painkiller.

Where is the equivalent of Call of Ktulu and Fade to Black on Painkiller?

We're on a collision course for a Powerslave vs 7th Son championship, and I'm ok with that.
For sure I expected one Maiden album in the FINAL, but two albums won't be surprising either: the aforementioned totally deserve this (and other Maiden albums, ofc) and this is a Maiden forum, after all... :p

I thought from the beginning that the album which Maiden could face in the FINAL is going to be an album from Priest or Metallica -> still can happen.

Back