GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Easy win for Somewhere In Time

...And Justice For All is my least favorite Metallica album from the 80's, while A Matter Of Life And Death is a masterpiece.

Queensrÿche's album has the better songs (Revolution Calling, The Needle Lies, Breaking The Silence, I Don't Believe In Love, Eyes Of A Stranger), but as a whole album I like Killing Machine a little bit more.

I like more or less every song on Ride The Lightning (without the opener) - the three top classics are Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls and the best Metallica song for me, Creeping Death. The Book Of Souls is such a strong album filled with great songs (IESF, SOL, TRATB, the title track, DOG, SOTV, EOTC) and again I like it more as a whole album. Impressive work so late in the band's career.

Listened to Mindcrime again last night. Still don’t get it.

And by “it” I mean the music and melodies and concept are great, but there’s not a single second of singing where I am not overwhelmed by an insatiable thirst for punching Geoff Tate in the throat.
I got it more the other night than I have previously. Some crackers towards the end. I have yet to gain the thirst you speak of as anytime I have listened to it I have not gave it my full attention. Hence I have no fucking clue what the concept it.

It would have to be very sub genre specific, too. Theres literally no Metal album as bad as the best grindcore album, for example.
While I agree with you, there's surely forum members who don't. Anyway if someone wants to run it, they can, but I think the GMAC is going to use my game quota for awhile ;)

but there’s not a single second of singing where I am not overwhelmed by an insatiable thirst for punching Geoff Tate in the throat.
He hits the highs with ease but I agree I don’t really like his singing nearly as much as I used to. But Mindcrime is an album where it doesn’t matter to me. He puts his all into executing those songs and I think it’s his best performance — more well-oiled than their early albums but not before he started becoming The Blob.

Actually a serious suggestion for a GMAC follow-up that I’ve been thinking would be cool would be a metal songs competition. I wouldn’t wanna run it myself but I figured I’d throw it out there, it could be pretty fun.
This would be awesome. I’d be very excited to see what that Top 10 would look like.
He hits the highs with ease but I agree I don’t really like his singing nearly as much as I used to. But Mindcrime is an album where it doesn’t matter to me. He puts his all into executing those songs and I think it’s his best performance — more well-oiled than their early albums but not before he started becoming The Blob.
Yeah, he’s just an acquired taste. I completely admire his talent and ability, but the tone and delivery just make me cringe.

Back