GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Oh shit! Looking forward to it!
Yeah, part of the challenge is in deciding formats. A World Cup-style format was brought up as a concept, but I think we'd see the same spread even if we just went by Maidenfans nominations.

And then we have to decide "do we allow Iron Maiden in the game or not".

It's a lot to think about, but I won't really have time to dedicate to the hows and whys until much later on in the year. Gotta get GMAC off my plate and recover from running it, first.

And then we have to decide "do we allow Iron Maiden in the game or not".
I'd vote we keep them in, sort of in the same spirit as this game did - first time doing it, let's see what happens with them in there - but I wouldn't be opposed to excluding them. I'd argue if that happens the members' solo material should still be allowed though, as I don't think Bruce is that much more popular than bands like Metallica and Judas Priest on here (could be wrong though). Blaze certainly isn't.

I said it once and I still think it's a legit proposition - do a qualification round for IM - pick 3-4 songs and let those compete. That way even with Maiden bias you won't get the top 10 cluttered with just Maiden songs.

If I were to do it, I'd do the same with Priest and Rush, just in case.

EDIT: after Diesel 11 wrote that - oh yes, and pick just one song for Dickinson, that should be more than enough. :ninja:

Also, if Iron Maiden [the song] or TNOTB were to win, I'd find a way to break my account over a knee. Somehow. Definitely.

I said it once and I still think it's a legit proposition - do a qualification round for IM - pick 3-4 songs and let those compete. That way even with Maiden bias you won't get the top 10 cluttered with just Maiden songs.

I like this idea, but I would do it slightly differently: in the first round, pair up bands with more than a certain number of songs, and then you're already taking out some of the chafe and letting the good stuff progress. But maybe only for the songs submitted only once, that way the ones submitted multiple times still get to wait in the wings a la the GMAC.

I think thats a decent idea. If for no other reason than to see LC lose his shit when Pascendale misses out on the Maiden nomination right at the end

the Maiden nomination
This makes me want to see it set up as a US presidential election, where we have primary elections before the bigger ones, and hold little debates where each song gets a champion speaker for them, and all the champion speakers stand in a circle and debate whether or not people deserve the right to exist or if we should save that for another fifty years down the line and instead spend all the money entrusted to us by our taxpayers in bombing another fucking country that looked at us the wrong way- i mean what

debate whether or not people deserve the right to exist or if we should save that for another fifty years down the line

Didn't think someone your age would be pro-life, but you certainly made my day.

:ninja:

Also, that's enough of the digression, methinks.

@JudasMyGuide, what do you like about Anthrax?

To me they symbolize not just the "fun" part of the thrash scene, but the slightly punk-y, mosh-y approach that is driven by this particuarly endearing (to me) rhythm section. It's just a really fat-bottomed girl shimmying her way through the crowd wonderfully, beautifully.
I do find the riffs to be memorable and fun (already the title track is great in that regard). It all is also very catchy, both the choruses and the lead guitar lines (again, IMHO). Although I admit they might sound like your stereotypical obnoxious frat boys to some.

I agree that Joey Belladonna can be a bit too much for some, but within this specific type of vocals I find him to be actually one of the more aurally pleasant guys.

ATL probably isn't better than SIT, but my enjoyment as a listener is more consistent throughout. In fact, that's it - I find them to be really consistent, both in the Belladonna and the Bush era (though each is rather different in its approach). Possibly the most consistent of the Big 4 in my book.

Also, I just love how they re-did Jackson's Got the Time and ended up sounding pretty much like the Ramones who could play (wrong album, I know, but still). And yes, that album (Persistence of Time) is quite possibly my favourite Big 4 record, or at least, fighting for the first place with AJFA and Rust in Peace.

EDIT: a fun simile that just came to mind - you remember that "ultra tr000 mosh section" in Tullica's Battery that first appears at 3:48 after the solo and then near the end? Well, Anthrax often sound to me as a band that took that one as an inspiration.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden defeats Metallica firmly to advance.
Queensrÿche wins a strong victory over Judas Priest.
Metallica snuffs out this Iron Maiden album for revenge.
Iron Maiden advances to eliminate Anthrax.

Round of 32 Matchups Set:
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death vs. Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Metallica - Ride the Lightning vs. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

Keeper_of_the_Seven_Keys_Part_1.jpg

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1 (1987)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 43, Metal Rules 44, DigitalDreamDoor 51, Metal Kingdom 30
Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar, @KidInTheDark666
League 1 - Match 21vs.
Metallica_-_Metallica_cover.jpg

Metallica - Metallica (1991)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 25, Loudwire 36, DigitalDreamDoor 61
Maidenfans Nominators: @Mr Knickerbocker
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Annihilator - Alice in Hell 20-11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judas_Priest_SforV.jpg

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance (1982)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 12, Loudwire 7, Metal Rules 10, Metalstorm 29, DigitalDreamDoor 18, Metal Kingdom 43
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @FTB, @Jer, @mckindog, @Mosh
League 1 - Match 22vs.
Waspcrimsonidol.jpg

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 98, Metalstorm 15
Maidenfans Nominators: @Niall Kielt, @srfc, @The Dissident
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Skid Row - Slave to the Grind 17-15.

Last edited:
Dream_Theater_-_Images_and_Words.jpg

Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 95, Loudwire 25, DigitalDreamDoor 31, Metal Kingdom 4
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @KidInTheDark666, @MrKnickerbocker, @Shmoolikipod, @The Dissident, @The Flash, @Travis The Dragon, @Yax
League 1 - Match 23vs.
TheDarkSaga.jpg

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga (1996)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 85
Maidenfans Nominators: @LooseCannon, @Night Prowler, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 4: Defeated Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World 17-12.
League 3: Defeated Overkill - The Years of Decay 17-12.
League 2: Defeated Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil 18-12.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judaspainkiller.JPG

Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 12, Metalstorm 1, DigitalDreamDoor 40, Metal Kingdom 1
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dityn DJ James, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Kalata, @karljant, @KidInTheDark666, @LooseCannon, @mckindog, @Midnight, @Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Night Prowler, @Poto, @Saapanael, @Shmoolikipod, @The Flash, @Yax
League 1 - Match 24vs.
Individual_Thought_patterns.jpg

Death - Individual Thought Patterns (1993)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 100, DigitalDreamDoor 80
Maidenfans Nominators: @karljant
Previous Rounds:
League 3: Defeated Pearl Jam - Ten 17-10.
League 2: Defeated Mercyful Fate - Melissa 17-15.

Painkiller, the most nominated album by Maidenfans in the GMAC, has entered the game.

The two critic-run lists that qualify skipped Painkiller. The four fan-run lists all included Painkiller, two at #1. Whether or not the critics notice, this is a juggernaut, a massive album that maybe came during the rise of grunge but stands all the more monolithic as a result.

A monster album in a monster league.

Probably easier to say who didn't nominate Painkiller.

*slowly raises hand awkwardly looking into the round*

Back