Great songs with rubbish music videos

SirRobbins

Ancient Mariner
Ok, let's face it. The 80s had the best music but arguably some of the worst video productions as well. I'll kick things off with one of my favorite Yngwie Malmsteen tunes....

Are there any decent Maiden videos?

CIPWM is nicely done and 2MTM is 80s in a nutshell (the not corny part). For a metal band that actually released videos in the 1980s, Maiden is nowhere near as bad as say, Holy Diver.

Manowar - gloves of metal
Savatage - hall of the mountain king
Immortal - call of the wintermoon
And pretty much any Judas priest video fron the 80's. My favorites are Hot rockin', Breaking the law and heading out the highway

The video for Dancing in the Street cracks me up. Its horrendous. I like to watch the subtle interplay between Jagger and Bowie. Here, Bowie is playing the relatively understated genius, confident in his musical prowess and legacy. Jagger, on the other hand, is all tits and teeth, gettin up in Bowies grill both physically and emotionally. Bowie, however, is not to be goaded, he maintains his calm and lets Jagger get his Alpha rocks off. Sensational stuff.
The costume person for this vid needs flogged in a very public place.

And pretty much any Judas priest video fron the 80's. My favorites are Hot rockin', Breaking the law and heading out the highway

I don't know how you can't like those. They are beautiful 80's cheese. I'm still wondering if they ever fooled anyone with the backdrop in Heading out the Highway.

Holy Smoke is an example of a rubbish song with a great video.

It's actually the other way around for me with Holy Smoke. I love the song and the Eddie cover, but the video is really bad. I also never thought that Stranger in a Strange Land video was all that great. It's just studio sound and live on stage.

It's actually the other way around for me with Holy Smoke. I love the song and the Eddie cover, but the video is really bad. I also never thought that Stranger in a Strange Land video was all that great. It's just studio sound and live on stage.

The Holy Smoke video is definitely rubbish aka amateurish...but they did that on purpose. The cool thing about the video is that we get to see the band outside their stage persona and more relaxed for a change...

"Holy Smoke" is quite simply the most fun music video ever made by anyone, ever. And sometimes fun is all you need. It doesn't need to be a great work of art.

Back