goodnight from Iron Maiden..

srfc

Ancient Mariner
Good night from Iron Maiden, from eddie and from the boys

What does this mean exactly?

Is it good night from Iron Maiden who are Eddie and the Boys i.e. the band or does it mean good night from Iron Maiden the band, from Eddie and from some other unknown group, the boys?

:dorky:

I always thought it would be a reference to something obscurely British that I didn't know about.

Maybe it should be written as "g'night from Iron Maiden; from ed and from the boys" where it's clear that IM = ed + boys.

Is it something that Bruce started or was Paul saying it at the end of 'Iron Maiden' too?

I think Bruce, had a quick look on youtube for a Paul bootleg and there's no mention. Bruce does a proto version "good night from eddie and the boys" on Beast over Hammermsith.

Blaze didn't say it either on one bootleg i checked

At the end of the Raising Hell concert (marking Bruce's departure from the band in 1993) , there was a slight twist: "Good night from Iron Maiden... from myself: Bruce Dickinson, from Eddie and the boys".
I think this underlines the fact that this traditional final address involves Iron Maiden both as a group (whoever is in it) as well as a set of individuals. A bit like the distinction between body politic and body natural in the Shakespeare plays about kings.

Last edited:
Back