German magazine Rock Hard: special "History of the Beast" feature

MadMax

Invader
I don't read any rock or metal music mags because there are not that many bands I'm interested in reading about (I prefer drumming magazines), however I came across the February issue of Rock Hard today and the front cover prominently features the "Iron Maiden" cover and a big headline reading "32-page special feature: History of the Beast"! I couldn't believe my luck and grabbed the issue just to get this special, and it was well worth the money: there's a LOT of biographical text in there, not just big pictures and little headlines. The mini-mag covers the complete history of Iron Maiden starting with Steve Harris' initial attempts at making music with his friends, and detailing every step and person on Maiden's way to world domination. I know a lot about Maiden already but there is a lot of stuff in that mag that I've never heard before. It also features many old (possibly rare?) photos of many people involved with Steve, old gig ads, album covers... I know that this news is not very useful to many people here since the mag is only available in German AFAIK, but maybe I'll come up with some partial scans and translations later. I've just read five pages so far ;)

scans scans scans!!! (ant translation of any interesting, little known points)... please!!

gor said:
scans scans scans!!! (ant translation of any interesting, little known points)... please!!

::) gor....our beloved interviews maniac

I don't think that in this issue it will have something that you don't already have /know, but just in case :

scan, scan, scan, MadMax, scan please  :)

Makes me curious too. I know a shop where they used to sell that mag, but recently I haven't seen it anymore. Hope they still get it.

The special is OK. Nothing we don't know yet, and quite subjective too, but still a nice read. I'd translate it, but seriously, it's 30 pages!!! And I don't have a scanner.

That makes proud, you can even think of translating 30 pages for the community ?? Sweet !!

I could sponsorise the buying of a printer /scanner for you, if you find something with less than 100€

That's really nice of you, but since MadMax already said he's gonna do scans, that's not necessary ;)

I'll re-read it one of these days and I'll see if I can pick out some particularly interesting bits to translate.

Perun said:
That's really nice of you, but since MadMax already said he's gonna do scans, that's not necessary ;)

woops I lost that !!

Perun said:
I'll re-read it one of these days and I'll see if I can pick out some particularly interesting bits to translate.

this is more logical -really.... 30 pages! also translation is a hard thing to do

Besides, it's really mostly a condensed version of Run To The Hills spiced up with a little Early Days, some (fairly common) interview snippets and personal opinion of the author.

Relax guys, I'll scan the photos that are of interest. Of course I cannot scan every page in high-res since that would violate the copyright, but I guess especially the first ten pages (the early days) are most interesting, and you will get those in one way or another soon. I'll do my best!

Looking forward to it. I couldn't find the mag yet myself, but perhaps it will arrive later in the stores.

A picture of the front cover.
rock_hard_250_jubilaeum_72dpi.jpg

Nope, that's already the next issue. The issue with the Iron Maiden special had the original cover of the first album on the front.

Perun said:
Nope, that's already the next issue.

Ai, then I guess something has changed with RockHard's distribution, at least to the regular stores where I often saw it.

In this new edition there's also a Steve Harris contribution.

Yeah, he talks about how many bands, not one, influenced him and so on. Not very much, and nothing any of us wouldn't know.

SO sorry guys, but I'm having trouble with my scanner lately (great timing indeed <_< ) and it doesn't scan the pages the way I want it to... the photos come out oversaturated and extremely bright, something to do with the color correction, but I haven't found out yet how to correct it. As for translation... my plan is to upload a small version of every page, then if somebody says "I want this translated", I'll try it. Translating the whole text is extremely exhausting because it's written very complex, and there is a lot of stuff that we do already know. But if anyone is interested in a specific passage, let me know.

Like I said, hope to get the scanner working right soon...

MadMax said:
my plan is to upload a small version of every page, then if somebody says "I want this translated", I'll try it. Translating the whole text is extremely exhausting because it's written very complex, and there is a lot of stuff that we do already know. But if anyone is interested in a specific passage, let me know.

Say a word and I'll help you. The busy weeks are finally over for me now.

Okay guys, finally had the time to resolve the scanner problem and I also decided to scan the pages at a higher resolution because many of the photos I originally wanted to cut out are collaged on the pages and it would be a shame to destroy the layout. So you will get pages with a resolution of approx. 150 dpi in JPEG now, every page around 450 KB.

Of course you can now also read the text, but I hope that since the issue is out of print now, there won't be any legal issues. Like I said, translation requests for certain parts are welcome.

Start here: http://www.silverball-magic.com/my-stuf ... page01.jpg and go from there by changing the page number in the URL: page02, 03, ... 10, 11 etc... There are 31 pages.

Have fun!

Back