General Sports Appreciation Topic

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Excited about some sport event or result that doesn't have its own topic yet (and you feel it doesn't deserve an own topic)? Post here!

Right now I am chuffed about this historical development:

Event: World Women's Handball Championship in Denmark
Quarter final: Netherlands - France: 28-25!
864x486.jpg

31-20For the first time ever, a place in the semi finals of the World Cup! Next opponent: Poland, already beaten in the group stage with 31-20.

Wingman, how do you root Norway's chances in the QF vs Montenegro? Piece of Cake?

Last edited:
Definitely not piece of cake. Montenegro won against Norway in the 2012 European Championship and were a worthy adversary in the London Olympics the same year. They are a very good team. Also, they are not afraid to play dirty.

EDIT: Tough game, very tough, but hard work from some and a couple of standouot performances saw Norway through to the semis. Why can't we be this good in other team sports ...?

Last edited:
Norway > Montenegro!
Romania > Denmark

But close calls!

Norway 26 - Montenegro 25
Romania 31 - Denmark 30 (Romania wins after extra time)

As far as college football goes, Michigan State (my favorite team) is playing Alabama in the college football semi-finals on New Year's Eve. So, it should be a very good game.

That should be a good game indeed. I really hope they expand the playoffs to at least 6 teams in the near future.

That'd be awesome, there are so many good teams out there that deserve a shot at the national title.

Also, three first spots in the men's Super G race at Val Gardena yesterday to Norwegian skiers. The first two were the usual suspects (Svindal and Jansrud) but #3 was the up-and-coming Alexander Aamodt Kilde. What a day! Can't recall such a team performance by Norwegian alpine skiers in my lifetime, except the alpine combination (downhill/slalom) in the 1994 Winter Olympics.

Thanks! I was surprised by the difference between the teams in the first half, it seems like the Dutch players suffered from nervousity and weren't up to their best.. Norway switched off too early for my liking though.

The Dutch had their worst game of the tournament. And they had the shakes in the first half. But Norway was so strong. Well deserved!

And reaching the final is so unique, still... I think they instantly made the sport more popular out here.

Norway are now doing well in men's handball again. At least through from the first group stage in the European Championships, which is an improvement over the last few tournaments (knocked out in said group stage in the 2012 and 2014 Euros, didn't qualify for the last two World Championships). Still remains to be seen whether the 6th place from 2008 can be bettered, but after they beat Croatia on Sunday, nothing should be ruled out.

Back