Future History of Iron Maiden Releases

stallan

Trooper
Obviously with The Book of Souls era kicking into high gear any History of Iron Maiden releases will be a few years away, but what does everyone think the band will do in the future with this exciting and excellent series of DVDs?

Donington 1992 is the logical next choice as they can put that show on DVD for the first time and then in the documentary talk about Adrian leaving, Janick coming in and then Bruce leaving. Since the Blaze era never produced a live video, I wonder if they would collect the tv footage from those years as bonus features and then include Blaze in the documentary?

As for the reunion era, it will be interesting to see what they do. Since Brave New World and on everything has been well documented and most of the albums have had their own DVDs. Maybe this is the opportunity to put out the A Matter of the Beast show from Donington 2007 and collect any random concert footage from different shows (ie- Rock Am Ring 2003, Ullevi 2005, etc).

It's a good question....

Both previous releases had a tour to accompany them and many fans think Maiden will not go on the road with a set celebrating the 90s.....I somewhat agree, but they can't just stop the history of Iron Maiden series halfway through....

As you said, Donington 1992 would be the centerpiece. Raising Hell could be included too...and as you said plenty of TV footage from the Blaze years. Maiden did a lot of MTV related things in the 90s. Lots of cool stuff to include if they wanted too....

AMOLAD, arguably the album they were "most" proud of (after all it was the only one they did live, in complete form), strangely enough did not generate a single live release (OK, they did Brighter than a Thousand Suns at Abbey Road). Can't imagine it will never surface. Apart from this, I am not really looking forward to any accentuation of this era soon. After all, the albums and tours did not happen long ago and they did have DVD releases.

Hopefully, we'll have focus on the nineties, after The Tour of Souls has ended.

Last edited:
It's a good question....

Both previous releases had a tour to accompany them and many fans think Maiden will not go on the road with a set celebrating the 90s.....I somewhat agree, but they can't just stop the history of Iron Maiden series halfway through....

As you said, Donington 1992 would be the centerpiece. Raising Hell could be included too...and as you said plenty of TV footage from the Blaze years. Maiden did a lot of MTV related things in the 90s. Lots of cool stuff to include if they wanted too....
I can't see Raising Hell resurfacing officially again, this is the kind of release that would be "forgotten" by the revisionist merchandising employees under Rod's orders. And although I hope for the contrary, I don't count on seeing any official release featuring Blaze (even if the Curitiba show was a logical choice).

Well that's the problem...it's difficult to make a History of series and then avoid the "bad times" in the band ..Maiden should just make a third DVD and treat the DVD and the era just like the past two DVDs...and tell the story like it is without shame .I don't see why Raising Hell shouldn't be included.

Just like they had Extras on The Early Days DVD from Top of the Pops and old documentaries etc...Maiden's Top of the Pops performance of Man On The Edge could be included or the MTV 1995 Most Wanted performance...etc etc :)

Also MTV did a hell of a lot of Maiden coverage in the 90s...Making of From Here To Etenity...Several Headbangers Ball specials on Maiden, From No Prayer documentaries, 1993 tour reports, Fear of The Dark album making special...X-Factor release party....so much stuff there!

I would like to see a release that covers the 90's era. I do believe if I'm not mistaken that Rod said a few years ago that Live at Donnington DVD was ready. I'd be surprised if we see Raising Hell again as that one hasn't aged well and it's just kind of awkward. No clue if anything would be represented from the Blaze era or not, perhaps a 'highlight' reel of sorts of multiple different shows.

I just hope that the documentary (assuming of course that there will be one) is put together better than the History part 3. That one was just weird compared to the others and could have been so much better.

I'd put money on them not doing a retrospective tour for this era and I don't blame them. While I dig some of those records, I really don't want the final years of touring for Maiden to be covering such an unappreciated/unsuccessful (for the most part) era. It doesn't make economic sense really - and economics is a lot of what drives Maiden releases and tours these days.

Well a proper third DVD would be very interesting. The last two DVD's have pretty much been "Look at us, we're on top of the world" This third installment is where those interviews for the DVD might start getting a bit personal...But because of that also has the potential to be the best DVD in the series. Things get real now and emotions are in play - so many questions could be answered in this series - Adrian leaving, what led up to that and why...Bruce leaving, same thing......Blaze getting fired. It's by far the most vulnerable they'll be talking about these events...but again, that is what could make this piece in the series great and many of the questions that fans have been begging for and Maiden have tip-toed around for years could finally be answered.

strangely enough did not generate a single live release

Not entirely correct- the Different World single had two live tracks from the tour. Moreover, they seemed to have the plan to release the Donington 2007 show from early on, it was mixed by Shirley, but they decided against it. Allegedly because of the amount of flags in the audience, but there may be other reasons we don't know.

Not entirely correct- the Different World single had two live tracks from the tour. Moreover, they seemed to have the plan to release the Donington 2007 show from early on, it was mixed by Shirley, but they decided against it. Allegedly because of the amount of flags in the audience, but there may be other reasons we don't know.

I was gonna say this but then thought "Oh, Foro means video footage for the DVD"

But yes...add to the flags thing that Bruce trips over his own feet during Wrathchild and that the intro tape to Number of The Beast didn't work so Bruce had to do it :facepalm:

I really hope they continue the DVD series and the history clips. As long as they don't edit the history ones like part 4, with the band members faces shoved into a tiny corner over a picture of themselves. We get it, they're older, but put 'em in the entire screen already.

I saw the thread title and thought this would be about predicting the "future history" of Iron Maiden. So, that's what I'm gonna do anyway...

2017: 17th studio album "Heroes and Fools" contains no song over eight minutes long, and people will still complain about repetitive epics.
2018: Live album "Maiden Argentina" features a live "Space Truckin", even though that B-side is still unreleased.
2020: 18th studio album "Sands of Time" creates trouble in the studio, as Bruce comes in with nine songs about flying planes and Steve finally flips out.
2021: Live album "Maiden Iceland" shows that Maiden is the only band who remembers Reykjavic exists.
2023: 19th studio album "In the Fires of Hell" is criticized by US President Huckabee for being satanic, and Maiden refuses to tour in US.
2024: Cover of live album "Maiden the Fires of Hell" has Eddie chasing Huckabee across Gehenna while the Beast and Steve Harris place bets on the winner.
2025: Maiden finally retires when someone breaks a hip trying to climb onstage.

I completely forgot about those live tracks. Still, it is minimal in the light of Rock in Rio, Death on the Road and El Vivo.

Pretty sure there will be one covering 1990-1999 in a couple of years, and maybe also one from 2000-> when its time for re-releasing Rock in Rio, Death on the road etc.

Back