Frankie Banali Playing with WASP for $$$

Eddie's Lil Helper

Ancient Mariner
Former QUIET RIOT drummer Frankie Banali recently spoke to Metal-Exiles.com about working with Blackie Lawless in W.A.S.P. and the break-up of QUIET RIOT, among other topics. Several excerpts from the interview follow:

Metal-Exiles.com: You played on the new W.A.S.P. releases, "The Rise" and also "The Demise". Tell us about working on these release and what was it like working with Blackie again.

Frankie Banali: "I did those recordings for W.A.S.P. a few days a week, usually Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in-between my QUIET RIOT show dates. This continued for nearly a year and into the time period when QUIET RIOT fell apart. We worked pretty much like we had in the past, just myself, the engineer and Blackie. He would demo the song with just guitar and bass, the occasional work vocal, and I would construct the drum and percussion parts that I thought suited the song structure and mood of the song. This had been our working relationship throughout my years of recording with the band."

Metal-Exiles.com: Now, you did not tour with W.A.S.P. for these releases and there was ensuing bad press here and there. Can you tell us what happened from your perspective to put this into motion?

Frankie Banali: "I think the thought process in place was that because there was no longer a QUIET RIOT, that perhaps I would tour for less compensation than was equitable to me. Blackie may now say that he wasn't interested in having me tour or that I was just the 'session' drummer, but that is an untruth. When we could not came to a financial understanding, I passed on touring. Everything was initially fine between us. Then the interviews start circulating where it was claimed that their current drummer was the one they wanted all along. If that was the case, why have me record so may albums for the band when I was already a full-time member of QUIET RIOT? Afterwards I see that Blackie and his guitarist are being credited with having played drums here and there on the first release. If you sit down and play a kick drum at a time, then a snare drum, then a cymbal and some hi-hat, maybe a few drum fills and edited all together, that really isn't playing drums now is it? But, whatever makes your boat float. Since then there have been a lot of things said to try to ignore or whitewash over my participation on these recordings which was substantial. To each their own and good luck.

Metal-Exiles.com: Would you ever consider working under the guise of W.A.S.P. again?

Frankie Banali: "I wish them the best, but that is the extent of any future participation on my part."

Back