Frank Zappa

syl

Ancient Mariner
The only Zappa record I've ever listened to was "We're Only in It for the Money ". I'd like to listen to other stuffs but I don't know which CD to start with as there are so many.

Which one would you recommend ? I might eventually download a few tracks from internet just to see if I like them or not. In this case which songs do you think I should download first ?

Of course, I intend to have an answer from Shadow but if anybody else is into Frank Zappa, I'll be glad to have your point of view.

I feel compelled to reply now, so here goes.

The thing about Zappa is that his output is extremely varied, so it's hard to know what to recommend. If you don't like a particular song or album it's easy to assume that all Zappa is like that, which is fatal because no matter what you're listening to that's not true.

There are a number of compilation albums designed to ease people into Zappa's music. Strictly Commercial, for example, is a basic sort of greatest hits album with some of his most famous songs. The variety of the material makes it a little incohorent, but even so it does include some essential Zappa material so it's a good starting point. Other compilations worth mentioning are Strictly Genteel, an introduction to Zappa's classical music, Cheap Thrills and it's follow-up, Son of Cheap Thrills. The six volumes in the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series can also be a good place to start if you want a bit of an overlook.

The early albums by the original The Mothers of Invention are generally harder to get into, but if you liked We're Only In It For the Money, they might be worth checking out. Try Freak Out! (1966), Zappa's debut album, Lumpy Gravy (1968) and maybe Uncle Meat (1969). You might want to stay away from Absolutely Free (1967) and Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970) though, if you're not adequately prepared they're hard to digest.

The album I'd recommend from the sixties though is Hot Rats (1969). It's one of Zappa's most well-known and influental albums, it contains some of his best music and it's not as weird as the earlier stuff.

Just Another Band From LA (1972) is another good example of Zappa's style, especially the way he constructed his live performances.

The mid-seventies albums are among the most popular and also among the best (IMO). Over-Nite Sensation (1973) was his first commercially successful album, and a good one for beginners. The follow-up Apostrophe (') (1974) comes from the same recording sessions and is similar in style. Roxy and Elsewhere (1974) and One Size Fits All (1975) continue in the same vein, although with a jazzier approach. A lot of memorable songs come from this era and it's probably my own favourite one. Well worth looking into.

Sheik Yerbouti (1979) is one of the heaviest Zappa albums and the best-selling one to date, so for metal fans it might be a good place to start.

I am less familiar with eighties and nineties Zappa since I haven't explored it as thoroughly yet, something I intend to do soon. By now, Zappa's classical music started to get attention so the output is more focused on orchestral recordings than previously. He also started making electronic music using the synclavier, in favour of recording with a band (although he didn't stop touring completely, the time spent on the road decreased considerably).

After his death in 1993, a lot of old and new recordings have been released. I haven't heard a lot of them myself but my impression is that they're mainly of interest to Zappa fans.

If you want to download a couple of songs, the stuff on Strictly Commercial is generally good. Peaches En Regalia and Brown Shoes Don't Make It are essential and representative of Zappa's style in their respective ways. For a taste of Zappa's guitar playing, try Muffin Man and Black Napkins. Don't Eat the Yellow Snow, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown Goes Down and Valley Girl are some of his biggest hits, so they might be worth getting. I'm the Slime, Montana, Cheepnis, Inca Roads and The Torture Never Stops are typical of his mid-seventies albums. You could go on like this forever...

I hope this was helpful in some way. If you want a different opinion, ask SMX who is the other big Zappa fan around here.

Finally, if you need any discography information or lyrics, http://www.globalia.net/donlope/fz/ is the place to go.

I'd second most of the albums Shadow mentioned. Hot Rats is the first one to get: absolute instrumental brilliance. Joe's Garage should be next: probably Zappa's most famous album, and with good reason as most of the songs are both smart and funny.

Zappa's studio albums were widely varied. I'd say the best are Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation. If you like Zappa's sense of humor, Sheik Yerbouti (pronounced "Shake Yer Booty") might be your cup of tea. But be warned: Zappa's sense of humor is crude and scatalogical, and he's known to be especially mean to women in general.

Zappa's live albums are usually a blast to listen to. These aren't normal live albums where the artist just plays his greatest hits; most of Zappa's live albums contained all-new material that can't be found in studio versions. Also, Zappa's interaction with the audience is sometimes his funniest stuff. If you're into his humor, Just Another Band From L.A. and Tinseltown Rebellion are both great. Roxy And Elsewhere is more of a "typical" live album in that it's mostly just songs, but it stands out because of amazing instrumental performances. My personal favorite is Zappa In New York, which nearly matches Roxy in instrumental brilliance but (in my opinion) has even better songs.

Of his sixties stuff, his debut album Freak Out is a classic. You've already heard We're Only In It For The Money, which I'd say is essential listening for anyone who is interested in Zappa. And here's a point where I disagree with Shadow: I'd recommend Absolutely Free to anyone and everyone, if only for his magnum opus "Brown Shoes Don't Make It."

So I've mentioned a lot of stuff - and Zappa released dozens of albums, so I've barely scratched the surface. I have 55 Zappa albums, and my collection is still incomplete! So not counting We're Only In It For The Money, here's the next 5 I would recommend:

1. Hot Rats
2. Joe's Garage
3. Over-Nite Sensation
4. Zappa In New York
5. Freak Out

And if you're not insane after all that:

6. Just Another Band From LA
7. Roxy And Elsewhere
8. Tinseltown Rebellion
9. Absolutely Free
10. Them Or Us

SinisterMinisterX said:
And here's a point where I disagree with Shadow: I'd recommend Absolutely Free to anyone and everyone, if only for his magnum opus "Brown Shoes Don't Make It."

It's not a bad album by any means but for someone who is unfamiliar with Zappa's early style it might just be a little... too much. Part of the reason I think this though might be that I only have it on a bad quality vinyl...

I personally prefer the version of Brown Shoes Don't Make It that appears on Tinseltown Rebellion anyway.

Thank you boys !

Actually I thought  We're Only In It For The Money was quite weird and I've never really got into it.
I'll give a try to Over-Nite Sensation as you both agree it's among the best and then maybe to Sheik Yerbouti . Never mind the lyrics !

Back