For Monopoly Fans

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
Monopoly gets a global face lift.  Apparently, the next addition will feature global cities voted by Monopoly fans world wide.  Three largest Canadian CMAs could be a part of the package: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. 

Ever since I played the now defunct Dutch based Monopoly clone called Jumbo Jet as a kid, I've always wanted to see something like this.  Presumably, this does garner some prestige to the cities/nations being represented in what I believe is the largest selling game in the world.  Montreal will be the luxurious Boardwalk. 

Most recently I've played the beer version of this famous game, but this edition coming out on the 26th of August will be better.

Three Canadian cities to be featured on latest global Monopoly game

The Canadian Press

August 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM EDT

TORONTO — Monopoly's boardwalk stroll is now a hike up Mount Royal, and getting from jail to free parking means a trip through Canada's financial capital and Stanley Park.

Hasbro Inc., announced Wednesday that Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto would be among the 22 cities included in Monopoly Here and Now: The World Edition.

Hasbro said the cities were chosen through an international vote that saw more than five million Monopoly fans cast ballots for the global cities they wanted to see on the first ever global edition of the popular board game.

Montreal will occupy the place of honour previously held by Boardwalk and will be paired with the Latvian capital of Riga to represent the most expensive property group on the board.

Vancouver will become the flagship piece of real estate in the orange group, while Toronto will join Kyiv and Istanbul to comprise the Magenta properties. Canada and China are the only countries to feature three cities on the board.

Events were held in all three Canadian cities Wednesday, with life-sized game boards for fans and dignitaries to get acquainted with.

In Toronto, Mayor David Miller was given the city's title deed by a man dressed as Mr. Monopoly. He shrugged off the fact both Montreal, at $4-million, and Vancouver at $2-million, were valued higher in the new game than Toronto, priced at $1.4-million.

“There's a part of all of us that wants to be Boardwalk,” Mr. Miller chuckled. “But if you want to win Monopoly, you buy the affordable places and you build hotels, that's what going to happen with Toronto.”

Mr. Miller did his best, however, to get in one dig at his city's long-time rival.

“Congratulations to Montreal, but when we play, we're still going to win.”

Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay told a ceremony in the Old Port that the city's place on the board gives it visibility and would attract more tourists eventually.

He says he played Monopoly as a child.

“I learned a lot and I took the necessary steps to use my youth to be more successful in the business sector.”

Melissa Martin of Toronto just started playing the game again with her children, and gave the new version rave reviews.

“I love the new board, I love the fact Canada's on there three times ....,” said Ms. Martin.

The Toronto and Vancouver squares feature the waterfront cityscape of each, with the Rogers Centre and the Rocky Mountains providing the respective backdrops. Montreal's square features St. Joseph's Oratory, which sits atop Mount Royal.

Monopoly's global makeover goes beyond the switch from streets to cities as prime real estate.

Hasbro said the old utilities of Electric Company and Water Works are being replaced with Wind Energy and Solar Energy to reflect the growing emphasis on worldwide environmental concerns.

The four railroads prominent on the traditional monopoly board have been cut back to one with air, cruise and space travel now available as transportation options.

The international theme is also featured in the refurbished Community Chest and Chance cards which now allow players to organize global music festivals, or attend iconic cultural events such as Carnival in Rio De Janeiro or St. Patrick's Day in Dublin.

The global edition of Monopoly, originally released in 1935, is the latest in a series of modernizations meant to bring the game up to date.

Multimedia versions of the game also figure into Hasbro's modernization strategy.

In addition to the global edition board game, which will be available on Aug. 26, an online and mobile version will be available for download the next day with a version for most popular gaming consoles set for release in October.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080820.wmonopoly20/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

"Montreal will occupy the place of honour previously held by Boardwalk and will be paired with the Latvian capital of Riga to represent the most expensive property group on the board."

Congratulations Montreal...but how can they possibly put Riga for the most expensive property group on the board??? I mean, I've been to the place. And it really looks (and feels) like it's been occupied by the countries that have occupied Latvia for as long as it has been. There is quite an abundance of Art Nouveau facades, but they are hidden behind layers of dirt and buildings that look like they're going to fall apart any second. Oh well, it's just a game. *shrugs*

Natalie said:
And it really looks (and feels) like it's been occupied by the countries that have occupied Latvia for as long as it has been.

You mean, Russia and Germany?

What I find a bit abnormal is that in Canada there was a huge media campaign, even supported by politicians!

Perun said:
You mean, Russia and Germany?

And the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.

And Sweden.

"So, do you come to Riga often?"
"Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Riga has certainly had its share of visitors. The German traders and crusaders began visiting here in the late 12th century."
"Hey, isn't "Riga" a Latvian name?"
"Yes, Pete, it is. In fact, it's pronounced "Ree-gah" which is the name of a river"
"I was not aware of that."
"I think one of the most interesting things about Riga is that it's the only Baltic city to have more than 700,000 people."
"Does this guy know how to party or what?"

And Sweden indeed.

Anecdote time: When I was in Riga, I went on a guided tour...the tour guide stopped at a fountain in the middle of a square and starts talking about how they used to be under the Swedes, and the Russians, but NOW they are free and very democratic. Enthusiastically he runs over to the fountain, scoops up some water in his hands and turns to us yelling: Look, democratish water!!!

I felt a bit guilty.

HAHAHAHA. That's hilarious! I can see the sheer joy in his eye as he holds it up for all to see.

Back