First rock and first metal album you heard

A friend of mine's brother had Guns 'N' Roses' Use Your Illusion II lying around (he stole it from some other guy) so we'd play it over and over and start acting like idiots LOL. Eventually I bought it. It was my first rock album, one I still like. I was 7 back then. In 1995 (when I was 9) my cousin woke me up late at night with ...And Justice For All. I was already in love with English so I started reading the booklet and then looking up words in the dictionary. Then I went back home at the end of my holiday and bought that one as well. That was my first metal album. Memories  :wub:

First rock album had to be one by the beatles when I was like 4. My parents were rock 'n' roll and Mexican/latin music fans so it was back and forth between 50's/60's rock (mainly beatles... EARLY beatles I might add, they both hated anything from Pepper on lol) and Ranchera. When I was a tad older I remember my brother playing Billy Joel's Greatest hits vol I & II. I didn't listen to my first Metal album until highschool and a friend of mine lent me Metallica's Black Album shortly followed by IM's Killers.

I guess Deep Purple -- Machine Head, my Dad loved that album and played it all the time.  Supposedly, I saw them in an outdoor concert when I was 2, but do not seem to recall it :)

The first one I heard was probably something by The Kinks or Deep Purple which were both played a lot to me as a young child. I didn't hear them again for years, but when I did all these faint memories came flooding back.

KISS double platinum. But I didn't like it much. Later NOTB by Iron Maiden and here I am now.

As a youngster, I was fed a diet of Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and UFO - so it could be something from one of those. But I can say the first studio and live album I bought myself was Genesis - "And Then There Were 3" and Thin Lizzy - "Live and Dangerous" respectively.

First heard hard rock albums, by free will, of my own choice ;):

These three Bon Jovi albums are probably my first hard rock albums I ever heard (I guess around 1989, age 14).
I remember I borrowed these from the library around the same time:

Slippery When Wet (because of "You Give Love a Bad Name" which I loved immensely)
Bon Jovi
New Jersey

In 1990, my first bought hard rock album (LP) became:
Appetite for Destruction

A year later, Kiss and Maiden albums followed. I don't think I heard a full hard rock or metal album before all this. My parents were into lighter stuff, nor did I have an older brother or sister who were into heavier music.

edit: wait a minute, not true perhaps. My mother was into the Stones and my father into the Doors. I could ask which one they played.

Wasted CLV said:
I think mine was RUSH: All The World's A Stage (in vinyl)

It may have been this.
Other contenders were Rush, Moving Pictures and AC/DC, Back in Black.
I'm going by the first albums I bought that I still own.
My parents were country fans.

I heard a lot of Queen when I was growing up, but Limp Bizkit's 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water' was the first album I owned.

The first rock album I listened to would have been A Hard Day's Night by the Beatles. My Aunt would play it when I was a little kid, and apparently I loved it. I remember that first weird chord of the title song always sent a little lightning bolt through me. Still does. The first metal album I heard would have been Machine Head by Deep Purple. The Smoke on the Water riff was actually used in T.V. advertising, and as a ten year old violinist, I'd scratch out that riff on my fiddle over and over and over... it really made an impression on me. When I eventually picked up a guitar a couple of years later, it was the first thing I taught myself to play. I've owned Machine Head on 8-track, album, cassette, and CD...

First album I owned (a gift): Hall & Oates, Voices
First album I bought: J. Geils Band, Freeze Frame

First hard rock album I heard: probably Pyromania

First metal songs I heard that I still distinctly recall: "Run To The Hills" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'"
First metal album I heard: "The Number Of The Beast" (thought it was just OK at the time)

First metal album I bought: Live After Death.
First non-Maiden metal: probably Kill 'Em All

Forgot to mention my first rock album. Elvis Number 1's.

I honestly couldn't tell you the first rock album I owned or listened to. I was raised on the good stuff - Boston, Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, and Deep Purple are my parents' favourite bands (mom's seen Alice Cooper 18 times in concert!). The first metal album I owned?

Compilation? The Best of the Beast.
Album? Powerslave/BNW.

AC/DC Back in Black. A friend played Hells Bells to me, it was the first time I'd ever heard heavy music, it was probably about 1983. I've been a headbanger ever since, only I'm too old to bang my head anymore.

Think it was Megadeth's Peace Sells. I wasn't impressed though I do like it now. Soon after that it was Bon Jovi. Wasn't mad about them either (still don't like them) but I liked the guitar solos.

Back