Favourite NWOBHM band besides Maiden?

I have always loved Praying Mantis and Tank. White Spirit had one great album. Remus Down Bouleward (featuring Dennis Stratton) is another great one!

Probably Diamond Head. Angelwitch the song is really good but the rest of the album lacks. Never got love for Saxon.

Saxon and early Leppard, for sure.
Motorhead's often put in the category, but I've always thought of them as more of just a regular rock and roll band on steroids.

Saxon by far. Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, and Denim and Leather are classic albums.

There were many great bands though, some of them (like White Spirit) really underrated too.

Weapon, Raven, Sweet Savage, Tygers, Angel Witch, Tokyo Blade, Samson. Amazing times!

There are a few!
Indeed.
I like Diamond Head a lot, The White Album and Borrowed Time are great albums, even Canterbury has some excellent songs.
Also Hollow Ground and their Warlord EP is good stuff.
Elixir and their “second wave” fom 1986 Son of Odin. Clive Burr joined this band in 1988 and performs on the second record.
Holocaust’s The Nightcomers is an awesome album.
Tygers of Pan Tang made Spellbound with John Sykes of Thin Lizzy. Very good album too.
My favorite is Savage’s debut Loose N Lethal. They are only known because Metallica covered Let it Loose on a demo, but this album is raunchy good.

Def Leppard (first 4 albums), although, I consider the limit of DL is the Hysteria album !
Saxon - almost all of the 80's albums (Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law and Denim and Leather are all classics), but they also continued to release quality new music.

But there are also other great NWOBHM bands that don't have much success like Maiden, Def Leppard and Saxon:

- Angel Witch, White Spirit, Praying Mantis, Raven, Samson, Tygers of Pan Tang, Urchin and so on....

Last edited:
Diamond head first album
Motörhead - Overkill
Samson - Shock tactics
Def leppard EP
Venom - Welcome to hell, Black metal
Angel witch - s/t

Saxon would far and away be my favourite if the NWOBHM after Maiden. From wheels of steel to crusader they released some outstanding classic albums. Even their attempt to crack America rock period had some good stuff but then from unleash the beast they really have been on a superb run.

Praying mantis and angel witch are among my faves after that diamond head had some decent stuff then I’m struggling. Lots of half decent ok ish bands popped up during the NWOBHM boom but listening to their stuff now you can see why they never made it.

Never considered Def leopard part of that scenes that all. They got lumped in due to the fact they were British and around during the time but even on the first 2 albums they were never metal in my opinion.

Back