Favourite band?

Out of these bands, which one is your favourite?

• Sodom

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Exumer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Razor

• Tankard

• Whiplash

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Demolition Hammer

• Dark Angel

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Toxik

• Vio-Lence

• Heathen

• Total voters

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
Explain your votes!

I'm going for Sodom. They might be the best band to ever come out of Germany. Just listen to their 1989 release, Agent Orange to hear what I mean. Dark Angel is a close second, Razor a close third. Funnily enough, Whiplash (who are also grand) are the only ones I've seen live so far, though Heathen will be coming up this month.

I don't know them well. I think it's due to the type of vocals I often stay away from such bands.

In which band do you find the singer the best? I might try that one out, more seriously.

I don't think you'd like any of the singers. My favourite would be Sodom, but, well. It's all the same style.

Playing City of God on Youtube.

The voice is indeed not my cup of tea, but there's a lot of nice riffs to make up for it!
And the solo is better than anything Slayer has ever done.  :shred:

Ausgebombt by Sodom is one of the best thrash metal songs ever.

I have never head a single song by any of those bands. Maybe one by Exodus, but only because I can recall the name.

Listening to Agent Orange now. I -so- regret going to wikipedia with this, the page it leads to is fucking horrifying.

WAT

Oh, you're right. You know how the brain sees the first two letters of a word and just does what it wants with it? That's what happened.

Good thing I didn't add Exciter and Ex Deo to the list, then. ;)

Guess so.

Well, Sodom is nice. A bit too all over the place for me, but It's ok for classic thrash. I'll vote for it.

This is way to difficult. I can't decide between Demolition Hammer, Heathen, Vio-lence, Razor and Dark Angel. I think I can eliminate Razor who, eventhough they have been very consistent and released more albums than the others combined probably, have always felt a little comically to me with their album titles and lyrics. Big shout out to Shotgun Justice, what a killer album. Demolition Hammer, they made one very amazing album in Epidemic of Violence, a good blend of death and thrash and one of the most aggressive albums by all of the bands. But on the other hand they are also the most inconsistent, with one amazing album inbetween the bore that is "Time Bomb" and "Tourtured Existence".  So it is down to three bands. Vio-lence I really really dig, some amaazing thrash, unfortunately, I don't dig the vocals all that much and the production is also really thin in places. Dark Angel well, three spectacular albums and I'm a big fan of Gene Hoglan, Drum god! Also played for Death and Strapping Young Lad. Dark Angel are riff meisters of the highest caliber..f you think Slayer is the only band to do the demented thrash riffing you obviously haven't heard of this band. BUT I really have to give the vote to HEATHEN, and it comes down to one album, that for me, is above the rest...and that is the Victims of Deception album. This album really should have been classic. Released in 1991, it is better material and production wise than what most of the big (Metallica, Megadeth), and any other thrash bands did at the time. It also counts to the vote that Heathen is still active and recently put out another great album in 2009 called The Evolution of Chaos that I urge everyone to check out.

I do like Sodom, and especially Agent Orange. But for me, they have too much Motorhead inspiration in their music and too much punk in the vocals.

So, the winner: HEATHEN!

Damn, that's a long post.

I read a bit about Heathen, and I'm impressed! Their second album gets alot of credit, and their newest effort got some kickass reviews.

Prog thrash, a few albums, and they still exist? I'm in!

Sixes, 2nd or 3rd?

I noticed an omission in the poll options, where is Forbidden?! One of my favourite thrash songs is Step By Step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyZHXzChfU

Mega said:
I read a bit about Heathen, and I'm impressed! Their second album gets alot of credit, and their newest effort got some kickass reviews.

Prog thrash, a few albums, and they still exist? I'm in!

Sixes, 2nd or 3rd?

You can't really go wrong. Victims of Deception is the classic album from way back when, easily comparable to what Metallica and Megadeth were doing at the time. Hard hitting thrash metal songs, that takes twists and turns and brings you technical melody and good song writing while having top notch production. The new album does more of the same, but it has a more modern production, think of most of the new thrash metal bands production...So both are recommendable.

I'll go with the defult selection then: the classic.

I listened to some Vio-lence, and when I looked them up I saw that the guitarists from Machine Head started there. Thanks to that, I'm now listening to The Blackening, and it's awesome.

Per, this thread made me get three new albums and appreciate an older one, so have a praise!

Sodom. Not the best German band (that's Kreator), but the music is good. And Code Red rocks.

That said, despite me actually loving that genre, I don't listen to a lot of the above. Forbidden, Nuclear Assault and Exodus is a different matter.

Haven't heard any of them. Who do you suggest I start with?

Back