EU Army - yes, no, why or why not

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7164

There are multiple facets to this endeavour. A one of a waning alliance, a one of a growing adversary, individual states' military economics and cooperation programs, and further changes in inter-EU power balance.

As an example, Croat might be somewhat invested in fluctuations from U.S. politics regarding U.S. involvement and position on the Balkans, he might be less interested about direct conflicts with Russia, he might look brightly on the topic of our army getting better capabilities for less $ in newly formed tighter alliance, and he might not care at all about who gets to be a powerhouse economy behind the new army.

As we move from region to region and from country to country these things change.

Italians/Spanish and other big but not biggest economies might be worried that this will further elevate France and Germany as 'leaders' of the EU.

Some countries are simply neutral by definition and some countries have a significant Russian population.

In order for this to work, it needs to have a clear goal for a decade to come. Or else we would be talking about yet another military cooperation program which are frequent even in between various NATO members. Whether EU army has its own barracks or it's comprised out of parts from sovereign armies, it will have its own chain of command.

Personally I'm on the reserved 'yes' side, with the sovereign armies model. I do believe that even without NATO if EU member gets attacked everyone else would help. This would just make the organization easier. But we do need checks. In future if some Trump/Brexit/Bojo thing happens to a big EU army constituent, the others need a safeguard from a potentialy braindead move by some 'democratically elected leader'.

There is another variable that's being left out of the discussions and that's the power projection status of France. Out of all EU countries France is the only one with nuclear triad, zones of influence accross another continent, etc. I don't know enough about what they do, and if it's compatible with co-leader position of new EU army. The foreign policy of both entities should match 100% in that case.

What's your opinion?

I felt this topic should at least deserve one reply. So here it is.

Yes. It is important to be more powerful vs other blocks, we need to organize ourselves better. But the EU is divided, so it will not happen soon.

The EU is incapable of being an equal geo political power to the US or China. Too much squandering and compromise. The attempts to be a big dog has fallen short. This might be a step on the way. I am in favor.

album_bigbattleofegos2.jpg

EU Army? do you think it could be fixed with a football match? :lol:
Seriously EU needs to work as one in a lot of aspects better than form an army.

I think a lot of the "national" questions facing the EU could be answered by forming a shared military, even if, at first, the shared military is not necessarily replacing some of the larger national forces. It would involved subjugating some national will to the whole, and that seems unlikely in the current climate.

From an operations, financial, and effectiveness point of view, a EU military is the only logical choice.

The US wasn’t built in a day, it took 150 years and a civil war for it to be a viable global superpower. I think Europe has the same potential given time and could even make it work without the UK. A shared military is a good and necessary step in that direction.

Back