Dream Theater's Octavarium

Before I go on my spill about Dream Theater's latest album let it be known that, for some unknown reason, I have all DT's studio albums, but Scenes From A Memory and the proceeding album of SFAM. I've just nevewr picked them up!

I bought this cd the day it was released with high hopes that this album would be awsome. When I pick up the cd and look at it and noticed it had only 8 tracks. A bit dissappointed, I then relized that track 8 was a wopping 24 minutes long. I got excited. That is a half a min longer than A Change of Seasons! I was dissapointed when I bought ACOS because it was basically a single with bonus live tracks for 15 bucks. After I paid for it (can't forget to do that) I started to speed walk to my car. Then I poped it in and started listening to it.

The first track, Roots of Evil, is the 3 rd part of the Story started by The Glass Prison on SFUMT. Better Than This Dying Soul. Good intro. Good heavy song. The 2nd track is like something you would here at a graduation. It's hard to explain. The song I Walk Beside You reminds me of Lifting Shadows of a Dream on Awake. My fav of the album. Panic Attack is probably the most fast paced DT song ever. Sacreficed Sons is kind of like a follow up of In The Name of God. It has to do with the 911 attack in the US.

The 8th track, Octavarium, is the why I would of bought the album if I heard it before. It is, in my opinion, better than ACOS (being 24 min long). I honestly think it is the best thing DT has ever done. PERIOD.

This album almost tops as my fav DT album over Images and Words. There is so much different elemnts of DT on this album. And it is way better thatn their last 2 put together! If you like Dt's stuff for their earlier stuff or if you just tuned in to them recently with Train of Thought, their is something on this album for you! (Geesh! I feel like I writing a advertizment!)

Dream Theater foreva! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

yeah Octovarium is definitely on my shopping list as soon as I get me some $$$

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Jul 2 2005, 11:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Jul 2 2005, 11:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]DT have never done it for me... Not sure why. Everyone seems to love them.
[snapback]110857[/snapback]​
[/quote]
what he said. I did enjoy SFAM though.

isn't the glass prison off of Six Degrees of inner Tension? Anywho, can't wait to pick that up.
Madness: you HAVE TO pick up Scences from a memory, I still think it's their best and it is certainly my favorite (awake is a close second)

7th son: A friend had the same problem until I played "home" for him from Scences from a memory and later lent him Train of Thought, now he loves them... you should try the same thing.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 3 2005, 10:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 3 2005, 10:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]isn't the glass prison off of Six Degrees of inner Tension? Anywho, can't wait to pick that up.
Madness: you HAVE TO pick up Scences from a memory, I still think it's their best and it is certainly my favorite (awake is a close second)

7th son: A friend had the same problem until I played "home" for him from Scences from a memory and later lent him Train of Thought, now he loves them... you should try the same thing.
[snapback]110917[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Typo! Sorry! I'''m niot goold wityh thre keybnoasrd..... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I let my friend borrow Images and Words a while back. He said he didn't like them [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . Then when SDOIT came out, I let him borrow it. He loved it [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--] . Then I let him borrow Awake. He eventually liked it. Then he worked his way back to their first album. Now DT is all he ever talks about! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Jul 2 2005, 07:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Jul 2 2005, 07:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]DT have never done it for me... Not sure why. Everyone seems to love them.
[snapback]110857[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The first DT album I heard was Images and Words. I didn't really like it at first. I then put it in my "cd case of cds that i only listen to when i have nothing else to listen to case". Then a few months later I listened to it... and loved it! I don't what the hell happened [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] , but It got 100 more likable for me. Now it is my favorite album of all time. Weird, huh?

Octavarium is good cd, but it isn't best that DT have made... Song-Octavarium is excellent! It actually made me stand still and I had to listen it once more! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I can't wait to see DT live!

[!--QuoteBegin-7thEdDie+Jul 4 2005, 01:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(7thEdDie @ Jul 4 2005, 01:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Octavarium is good cd, but it isn't best that DT have made... Song-Octavarium is excellent! It actually made me stand still and I had to listen it once more! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I can't wait to see DT live!
[snapback]110987[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I never said it is their best...

Yeah, when I first heard Octavarium I was doing somthing (can't remember what). Then when the keyboard solo flys out of nowhere 12 minutes in, I stopped what was doing (i wasn't driving [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), and got goose bumps. It was great!

Back