Do you think man has EVER landed on the moon?

A

Anonymous

the other day, i saw that video which gives like a thousand reasons to belive that we never landed on moon. but whenever i raise it between my friends, there's always someone who thinks that this is just too big to be a hoax. but none of those people seem to have an explaination as to why in the video, we can see people under shadows, why there are multiple shadows of an object supposedly lit only by the sun, and lots of such things. ( a strong point supporting the negative argument would be that 20% of the americans themselves don't belive in it) and mind you, some suspect that as many as 10 NASA people were killed to keep the secret. now that goes too far. so what do you guys say?

We saw that video in my Astronomy class and there is a reasonable explanation for everything. The producers simply use suspenseful music and good editing to create a good "conspiracy" video, but I'm afraid THAT video is a hoax. Man did land on the moon.

Nothing personal, abhi, but significantly more than 20% of Americans are plebs. 41% of them still think attacking Iraq was a good idea. I don't loan much weight to what they think.

There was a moon landing. So many people were a part of it, someone would have talked by now. Anyone can make a conspiracy. But every single thing they bring up can be explained. If someone has facts....then we have a situation. But this? Naah.

I don't have the links right now, but there are some pages on the web which debunk that video. Furthermore, my father once met Neil Armstrong and talked with him briefly about the moon landing (this was in 1972, when it was still fairly recent). I know my father isn't a liar, and I don't see any reason to suspect Neil Armstrong lied.

What would be the point of a conspiracy? Who would possibly benefit? I think if it were faked, then those involved would be milking it for all the money they could get. After all, let's pretend it was faked for a minute. Eventually, people will land on the moon and figure out that Apollo was a hoax. So the hoaxers have a limited window to take advantage of the hoax. Do you see them doing that? Most of the men who went to the moon don't talk about it much - Neil Armstrong in particular is almost a recluse. Why perpetrate a hoax and then refuse to perpetuate it?

As a funny aside, the reason that my father met Neil Armstrong is that my family lived in the same town in Ohio as he did. My last name is also Armstrong, though I am not related to Neil. When my father called for reservations at local restaurants and gave the name "Armstrong" he always got the best table in the house because the restauranteurs were expecting Neil Armstrong, not Bruce Armstrong. Eventually they got wise and started asking "Which Armstrong are you?" when my father called for reservations.

Great points, SMX...and cool to know that your dad's met Neil Armstrong! I wish I could, he is one of the people whom I spent a lot of childhood looking up to.

Isn't China trying to land on the moon this year?
I guess, if it is a hoax, which I don't believe, they will tell the world....

There should be enough useless material up on the moon..
Landing modules, moonrovers, flags [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] and much more....

[!--QuoteBegin-abhi+May 19 2004, 12:58 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(abhi @ May 19 2004, 12:58 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]a strong point supporting the negative argument would be that 20% of the americans themselves don't belive in it[/quote]
I really don't think the fact that many people don't believe in one fact is a good reason to think this fact is false.
What about so many people who don't believe in Darwin's theory...
Come on ! Let's fight the dummies ! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Wow! Almost everyone is convinced otherwise. well, as I said, there are a lots of people supporting either side. but personally, I am still inclined to the negative argument as I am yet to encounter it's counter-arguments. SMX, it'd be great if you could give us some link, while i'll look on the web myself.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I really don't think the fact that many people don't believe in one fact is a good reason to think this fact is false.[/quote]

Le hibou, I think Darwin's theory has much stronger grounds than the moon (hoax?), plus that is a scientific theory, while this is a historical event, still a matter of debate.
Answering SMX's question as to who might benifit from the conspiracy, well, the reasons can be many, from astronomical superiority, to gain respect of the outer world, but what can most probably be the reason is you know how sometimes, you think that you can pull-off some hoax, but when you start getting into trouble, you keep piling up your load of sh*t ( a lie to cover another lie, in other words), well it could have been like that, but like I said, nothing is certain yet.
In any case, Maidenaustria is right in saying that China's expedition might bring some long-awaited answers, and some conclusive proofs, so people no longer go making conjectures.

I think it could very possibly have been a hoax. Since Russia and the US were competing in almost everything including space exploration back then, the moon landing could've been a hoax to get Russia to believe that the US had finally done something before them. One thing I find interesting is that George W. Bush announced that the US will be trying to land on the moon "again" in the next 10 years.

The Moon Race between the US and Russia was 100% politically driven. Scientific interest didn't kick in until later missions (apollo 15 on). The reason it was so important was because they couldn't nuke each other, so they had to show their might in other ways. Russia sent up the first satellite and man to space, the US reached and orbited the Moon and then finally, Landed before the Russians. If it would've been a hoax the Russians would have found out (through spies or other means, they had ALL eyes on the US). A lot of people were at the launch and even the people who cry "conspiracy" admit the launch was real. So if the launch was real where did they go if not the moon? The conspirators say they orbited the earth...riiiight, Russia would have seen the spacecraft and called them on it. One of the reasons they claim it was a hoax was because Russia never went. They give reasons like solar winds, radiation and the magnetic field would all affect not only the spacecraft but the astronauts themselves in leathal ways. Now radiation does occur but it is only for a couple of seconds and both the craft and the astronaut's suits were capable of handling all other "space effects". The real reason Russia didn't go was because once the US made it, thre was no point in going. It was a political race and the US won.
Bush wants to go back to the moon again for political reasons. China anounced their desire to go up and place a moon base (or something like that) and Bush said it's time the US went again.

It is interesting to note that a great documentary was made almost two years ago where they were trying to prove that Kubrick did actually film the landing on the moon in a studio.

They involved many original members of the project and they all give their doubts (even Donald Rumsfeld !).

And actually... the whole thing was done to prove that conspiracy theories could easily be made ! Everybody knew that the documentary was itself mocking conspiracy theories and they all agreed to play a part in confirming this old legend that man never landed on the moon !

Great stuff.

Cheers

I really could'nt care.. what did the landing of the moon had to do with anything of mankind.. Waste of Money waste of lives, its all futile..

LEt it be a hoax even though there are alot of pionts that sway towards.

Let the Chinese go up and prove it too the world that the landing was not made in a "hollywood basement" (RHCP).

I have my views about im still on the fence.

Tabor, I hope you hate your computer, because here's a list of things that the space race have brought you:

1. Miniature computers. In 1960, computers didn't fit into rooms. Or they fit into big rooms. By 1975 we had the very first home computers. Miniaturization was important for the practicality of hauling multiple computers to the moon. Both the Apollo Command and Service Module (CSM) and the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) had a highly complex for the time onboard computer, which was made small for fuel efficiency.

2. The Internet. Computer networking became fashionable at Mission Control in Houston, to allow quick transfer of data between technicians. Obviously, this wasn't the start of the internet, but the theory remains on this wonderful World Wide Web we all use.

3. Satellite...everything! TV, Weather, Telephone...without the space race, everything would still be ground based. You wouldn't have very many channels, because cable companies just use big-arsed satellite dishes to get their signals. Your telephone would be a lot more expensive as well, remember. And weather reports would be less accurate and more dangerous to people in riskier lines of work (say oil rigging).

4. Energy. The space race brought to the front two alternate sources of energy: solar and hydrogen. They both of course existed beforehand, but solar energy wasn't famous until Skylab used it for power during its three manned missions; similarly Apollo missions to the moon ran off a fuel cell in which hydrogen and oxygen were mixed to form both water and energy. Fuel cell technology is becoming important today - imagine being able to drive into a station and order "one part oxygen, two parts hydrogen", freshly split from the ocean? Not very inefficient, environmentally safe, and no gas companies to lord it over you.

There, tabor. Be happy we went to the moon - else you'd be a lot more bored.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned yet the Alpha Draconians and the landings on Mars... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

thanks LC i see what it does i hate my computer before you posted the facts actually i have 2 on my desk here at work.

Well i guess i have never been into Science and the space race and mars and everything else i'll leave that to spaceheads.

I understand what it did, but eventually these things would have come thru..

As for Boredom, an insomniac is its best friend, even though i do not turn my PC at home as I work with these damn things for about 9 hours per day.

But thanks for the Info Champ and ill be more warry in the future.... [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-abhi+May 19 2004, 09:13 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(abhi @ May 19 2004, 09:13 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] SMX, it'd be great if you could give us some link [/quote]
[a href=\'http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html\' target=\'_blank\']Bad Astronomy: Fox TV and the Apollo Moon Hoax[/a]

[a href=\'http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/02/19/nasa.moon/\' target=\'_blank\']NASA's rebuttal to the TV show, reported by CNN[/a]

[a href=\'http://www.clavius.org/\' target=\'_blank\']Moon Base Clavius - scroll down a bit and look for the "Conspiracy" section[/a]

[a href=\'http://www.lunaranomalies.com/fake-moon.htm\' target=\'_blank\']Who Mourns For Apollo?[/a]

Thanx, SMX! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
By the weay, I found LC's post very informative and meaningful. He really is a smart bastard. [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I guess there are a lot more reasons to belive that we in fact did land on moon that to do otherwise. Some of the rock samples brought back from moon are so un-earthly, that the scientists who inspected them said that rather than faking such a stone, it'd be easier to go get one from the moon! But you've gotta admit, the conspiracy theorists have done a good job, almost had me convinced. This does say one thing about human perception, we only belive what we hear and see, and the deeper you look, the more you realize how little you actually know. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Conspiracy theorists are, in my opinion, like con artists. They take something that's a bit outrageous to be true, and they find little things, easily explainable things, that can be twisted or put together to make what seems like a big deal. And then they sell it.

Doesn't that sound like a con to anyone else?

Moon landings aren't the only ones, either. A few more that I can think of include that Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbour and that Churchill knew about the attack on Coventry. Both are false, but go look at the sheer quantity of books on the subjects. A lot of con artists have made a lot of money from it.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'll end this on one more bit the HBs don't talk about. When Jim Lovell, two time Apollo astronaut and commander of the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission, was told about Kaysing's claims, Lovell called him a kook. Kaysing, ever the rational thinker, sued Lovell for slander. Imagine: Kaysing, who says that NASA murdered three men outright and arranged for the murders of others, sued Commander James Lovell for slander! After some time, a judge wisely threw the case out of court. [/quote]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back