Diesel 11's Maiden Rankings

Revelations, Boots, and Tame are all 3 some of the best songs Maiden has ever done.
Well, that's your opinion of course. ;) Though DWYBO has been growing on me a lot lately. Next time I put together a Maiden list, it'll probably be in the running.

21. The Clansman
Virtual XI (1998)
This is the first Blaze song I ever heard. I think we can all agree that it's a great introduction to that period of the band. It's a great song, from the opening to the ending. Lyrics are top-notch, the chorus is a great one, and the solo is a highlight of the Blaze years. Even the live version with Bruce is good. All in all, one of the three best songs of the Blaze years. And what are the other two, you may ask?

20. Sign of the Cross
The X Factor (1995)
Paschendale, Empire of the Clouds, and Sign of the Cross are the first three songs that come to mind when someone starts talking about Maiden epics. Sign of the Cross is awesome. The gregorian choir at the beginning, the bass intro, Blaze's quiet utterances, and then builds until, with a crash, the song hits full swing. The verses are grand, the chorus is awesome. And then the words stop and we're given some instrumental, and acoustic guitars are heard as well. Then it all seems to stop as we're given more quiet bass. Then it picks up again, building and building until we hit the solo. When it makes an appearance it's already one of the best moments in Maiden's discography. And finally, a reprise of the chorus and an ending like no other. Truly an epic song.

19. Lord of the Flies
The X Factor (1995)
And finally, the best song of the Blaze years is the one that follows Sign of the Cross. As if it couldn't get any better, it does. This song is just plainly great. The beginning, the verses, the chorus - everything. I'm sorry guys, but I just don't understand how one can say the Blaze years sucked when gems like this one, and the other two songs in the post, exist. Truly great.

It's been a while since I last updated this list, and there's a reason for that... this list is very outdated. It was a while back that I compiled it, and since then, my music taste has changed drastically, even outside of Maiden. Thus, this list is an inaccurate one for me. But that said, most of the songs in the list are songs that would be there anyway, and the albums ranking is nearly spot on, with a few changes here and there because, for instance, TXF is a much better album than I first thought it was. Plus, I do want to finish this list for closure reasons, and with all of that said, I've tried to make the final 18 as accurate as possible so I can finally finish this. So here goes.

18. Judas Be My Guide
Fear of the Dark (1992)
It's commonly considered one of the band's most underrated songs, though would this mean that among die-hards it's a favorite? At any rate, this is the best song from '90s Maiden, it's short yet mystical, a decry of the deception in the world, and cuts like a knife at heart of the matters. Plus the chorus is perfect. I could have it only fuckin' repeat. Judas be my guide? Yes.

17. Alexander the Great
Somewhere In Time (1986)
Unlike most people, I actually think the lyrics on this song are perfect. Alexander doesn't need thought-invoking words to get the job done. All he needs are the facts, and the music does the rest. Plus it's an amazing feat on how one can get all that to fucking rhyme. At any rate, one of Maiden's greatest epics, and it really needs to be played live. C'mon guys, get your act together.

16. Murders In The Rue Morgue
Killers (1981)
By far my favorite Di'Anno era song. Murders In The Rue Morgue is a bit wordy, yet Di'Anno is on fire with his vocal delivery, Harris threw a challenge at him and he nailed it. The song is a true classic and... yeah. One of my faves.

ironmaidenthebookofsoulscover.jpg

#6: The Book of Souls (2015)
Ten albums in and we've finally hit the ones that I have no real issue with. The Book of Souls is a near-perfect record for a band this late in their career. Of course I have a few issues with it - namely, The Great Unknown and The Man of Sorrows, while ok, are rather meh compared to the rest of the songs, and the title track is really overrated, but other than that, every song on here is a gem. If Eternity Should Fail and The Red and the Black, especially, are favorites of mine, and Tears of a Clown is one of the band's most emotional songs ever. Plus it's got fucking Empire of the Clouds on it. I'm not much of a fan of 21st century Maiden compared to the rest of their career, but if it was all building to this, than I must congratulate them on a job well done. It'll be tough to get as close as they've come to perfection like this again, so fingers crossed for the next album.

15. Total Eclipse
The Number of the Beast (1982)
This is a surprisingly underrated song despite the fact that most people think it should be on TNOTB instead of Gangland. Huh. I know I said it was a Top 10 song in the Official Rankings thread, but I lied, it's only #15. But that's still pretty damn high, right? I love this song, second greatest B-side ever. What's the first? Wait and see. At any rate, a fine, tight, hard production.

14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Number of the Beast (1982)
Oh my god, blasphemy! Yeah, Hallowed is not Maiden's best song. I've always felt taking all those emotional lyrics and grouping them all together and then leaving the rest of the song to instrumental does not constitute "the greatest song of all time". By comparison, Empire of the Clouds and Rime of the Ancient Mariner are much more deserving of that title, given how well they're spread out and how interesting their music is. But all this being said, I love Hallowed Be Thy Name nonetheless. Yes, it's not their best song, but it's one of their Top 14 best songs. For a seven minute tune about a prisoner going to the gallows, it's as good as they come. I know this write-up sounds really weird. I agree. Fuck it.

13. Only The Good Die Young
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)
This song is the perfect way to end an album as amazing Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Only The Good Die Young might first make you think of Billy Joel, but it wipes it all away with amazing music and some of Maiden's best lyrics -
Walking on water - are miracles all you can trust?
Measure your coffin - does it measure up to your lust?

- are possibly my favorite lyrics ever. They give me chills every time. And the end of the song, where the album comes full-circle, is fine stuff as well. Only The Good Die Young is an underrated song. It really shouldn't be.

Love seeing only the good die young up so high. Rime, Hallowed, ATG etc... are better individual songs, but in terms of wrapping up an album narrative and finishing the story, OTGDY is an amazing closer.

It's one of the greatest closers, and like Somewhere in Time, it was the second album to not have the closing track played live....

Alright guys, I'm tossing out the entire list above. Instead, I give you this:

IRON MAIDEN - WORST TO BEST

Yeaaaaaahhhh... I'm nuts. I made this for another site and since I've got already I'm posting it here. Much more accurate than that list above. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy. Every album song and non-album song is on here. Yeeeeesh. Took me a long time to piece it together, so here it is, sit back, and rip your hair out because my opinions are bullshit.

N/A - Mission From 'Arry
Non-album 1/32
I don't know where the hell I should rank this, because it's not really a song, it's a recording. So it's not a part of the actual list. I love it though!!

Alright guys, I'm tossing out the entire list above. Instead, I give you this:

IRON MAIDEN - WORST TO BEST

Yeaaaaaahhhh... I'm nuts. I made this for another site and since I've got already I'm posting it here. Much more accurate than that list above. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy. Every album song and non-album song is on here. Yeeeeesh. Took me a long time to piece it together, so here it is, sit back, and rip your hair out because my opinions are bullshit.

N/A - Mission From 'Arry
Non-album 1/32
I don't know where the hell I should rank this, because it's not really a song, it's a recording. So it's not a part of the actual list. I love it though!!

Did you forget a link? :p

Did you forget a link? :p
It might just be from the fact that I've got so much Maiden in my head right now but... I don't... get this... :S

#185: More Tea Vicar

N/A 2/32
This is from a jam session I believe, and it really shows because the song sucks. Meh. Really could have left it off. Bruce's constant joking within it get old from the moment the song starts. They've had better comedic tracks than this.

#184: Purgatory
Killers 1/10
This is the second worst song in Maiden's discography and the worst from any of their albums. It's just... no. The repetition is bad, the lyrics are shit ("all my love's inside of you", "melt through the floor"... what the fuck??), and Di'Anno's vocals are at a low as well. As I said in the commentary thread, "Please take me away, take me away, so far away" describes my thoughts while listening to it. For a Maiden song, Purgatory is shit.

#183: Prodigal Son
Killers 2/10
Another Killers track. I don't dislike Prodigal Son, it's an interesting idea, but the guitar drives me nuts and it's definitely too long for its own good. Di'Anno is much better than on Purgatory though.

#182: Fates Warning
No Prayer For The Dying 1/10
Lots of people complain about NPFTD, but not as many complain about this song. Why is that? This song is completely unmemorable, the chorus sucks, and the lyrics are subpar. Any time it seems to get a little good it gets reverted back into meh. Definitely the worst song of the '90s. Complain about Blaze and The Apparition all you want, this song is actually the guilty party.

This list is already a farce.
Oh good, for a moment I was worried it wasn't. :D

#181: Invasion

N/A 3/32
This was the second song on The Soundhouse Tapes, and based on it I'm literally surprised Maiden was able to record another album. This song just sucks. It's too fast, Di'Anno can't keep up, just... no. No no no no no.

#180: Pass The Jam
N/A 4/32
Like More Tea Vicar, this one also comes from a jam session IIRC. Unlike MTV, this song is actually Maiden trying to do something interesting. It still fails though. Just not as much. Eh. At any rate, I'm glad this isn't on an album. It's as long as Paschendale and not half as good.

Last edited:
wtf is The Soundtrack Tapes
We may never know.

#179: Another Life

Killers 3/10
Another Life is the poster child of how not to use repetition in a song. If I wanted that, I'd use the replay button. Since I get it anyway, I'm just going to try to forget this song exists. I like the drum opening and the bass is good, but the rest sucks. I don't care about anyway laying on their beds. Another life? I want another song.

#178: I'm A Mover
N/A 5/32
I've never been a Free fan so maybe that's why I don't care for this track. Still, it's not exactly my thing. It'd be decent enough if Bruce was actually singing and not whinging like a... I dunno... it's just annoying. For shame!

#177: Remember Tomorrow
Iron Maiden 1/9
This is definitely the worst song on the debut. I will never understand why so many love this song. It's just... eh. Paul is laughable at best, and the melody doesn't work. Nope.

#176: Communication Breakdown
N/A 6/32
If you're gonna make a cover, at least make it interesting. The guitars are fairly good, but the vocals are utter nonsense. I'll stick with the original Zeppelin version, thank you very much.

#175: My Generation
N/A 7/32
As far as covers go, this one is really good. The band is tight, Blaze is strong, and everything is working together. However, My Generation has never been a favorite of mine and is in fact one of The Who's most overrated works. It's just... not my thing.

#174: Drifter
Killers 4/10
I don't dislike Drifter, it's a good album closer and has some decent music, and Di'Anno is fairly strong here, but the lyrics are subpar and that section I like to call "circus music" sucks. Fucking sucks. Eugh.

#173: Sanctuary
Iron Maiden 2/9
I think the album is better off without this track IMO, but whatever. Anyway, this song isn't bad, I like the rawness, but it's far from good too. The siren is probably my favorite part of it. Yeah...

#172: King of Twilight
N/A 8/32
This song sounds like it'll be good at the start, but that's quickly shot down when the verse begins. And then that "aaaaaaahhhhhhh" part only makes it worse. Gah.

#171: I Can't See My Feelings
N/A 9/32
This song is actually pretty good, it has a nice groove to it. That said, it's not really all that memorable, hence its low ranking. Ah well.

#170: Cross-Eyed Mary
N/A 10/32
The Trooper is probably Maiden's most famous single, but just because it's featured with that classic doesn't mean this B-side is actually that good. It's decent at best. There are so many better than this one, guys.

Back