Did Steve write the lyrics for BRITISH LION?

rickpalm

Prowler
Does any one know who did the lyrics for BL? I assumed Steve would have done them all, but I thought I noticed that the singer had writing credits on most of the songs that would suggest otherwise.

I haven't read a lyric sheet, but a lot of the lyrics aren't Steve's style and I saw an interview where he was talking about Taylor having a much more personal and open approach.

In a recent interview with the German Rock Hard magazine, Steve said that much is his work, and much is by Richard Taylor. The statements are not as direct as one would wish, but it is implied that Taylor's influence made Steve write things he would normally not write. The way he talks about These are the Hands, The Chosen Ones and especially Judas makes it sound like they were his lyrics. He also states that Taylor's lyrics are much more direct than his own.

Well... Someone should put the lyrics online already don't you think? For people that sometimes have a hard time understanding what the singer is saying at first hearing.

I have them printed in my booklet. :p

EDIT: Besides, they're all here.

From The Eyes of the Young

And as my father's words
Slowly fade away
Well those days are gone forever
Only in dreams at night

And as I'm walking late at night
With a memory that'll never die
And all the stars are shining
Like tears in my eyes
And I would give anything
To see you again
Can you hear me now... I hear you

The parallell to certain Maiden lyrics by Steve is obvious.

Every song starts with a Harris/Taylor credit and in 9 out of 10 times (an)other musician(s) follow(s), mostly people from the current line-up (guitarists Hawkins & Leslie), sometimes from an older line-up (guitarist Fitzgibbon, drummer Roberts, bass player Liederman).

Since the singer has a credit for every song, I'm not sure if Steve wrote the lyrics, but then again, I didn't have the interview information so Per could be right.

Probably some of the lyrics were by Taylor alone, and some others were co-written with Steve.

Funny, I was going to bring this up earlier today.

I would also guess that there's some combination. With Taylor having a credit on every song, he probably wrote some of the lyrics for each one. But there are some that seem very much like Steve lyrics, like, as Maturin said, the reference to a father in The Eyes of the Young seems very much like Steve's words, as he referred to his father on at least two occasions in Maiden songs (The Educated Fool, Blood Brothers). But some seem, as some have said, more personal than Steve's usual type (even on The X Factor, the most personal Maiden album, The Unbeliever and Judgement of Heaven were really the only personal lyrics by Steve, as the lyrics to Look for the Truth and 2 AM were written by Blaze), which would suggest that Taylor wrote them.

Easily the most common songwriting combination on the album is Harris/Taylor/Hawkins (Hawkins is one of the guitarists). There are only 3 songs that deviate: The Chosen Ones (Harris/Taylor), A World Without Heaven (Harris/Taylor/Roberts/Leslie/Fitzgibbon/Liederman) (that one includes current and former band members as well is someone who was never a band member but is listed in the acknowledgements of Grahame Leslie, IIRC), and Eyes of the Young (Harris/Taylor/Leslie/Roberts).

These credits also seem to suggest that since this has been an ongoing project, Richard Taylor (though you may not like him) has been with the band almost from the beginning, as has David Hawkins.

Bible black - British lion
Album The Burning

Says:
If I die before you grow
There's only one thing you need to know
You are my world, I'll never let you go
Always been a lion deep within
Bullets penetrate my skin
Try to brainwash me to the point of no return

I thnk the lyrics write steve haris. What you believe?

I think as a solo band by Steve Harris he wants to give a very direct way what is happening today! I think the lyrics are addressed as if he were talking to a "friend".

I read Steve say Richard wrote them all and vocal melodies, I made note of it at the time since it's so at odds with Maiden.

Last edited:
I read Steve says Richard wrote them all and vocal melodies, I made note of it at the time since it's so at odds with Maiden.
What do you think Steve wanted to get through the band? what do you think is the "message"?
I did it just to do it? I want to know a lot about the way Steve sees things! I want to see how you think!
Apart from Maiden who clearly see what he wants to convey to the world his songs I would like to know more about him! what did he study ?! what were his influences. And in general what motivated him as a person! Because what he made is so great that I exceeded the limits of logic! This man is a myth!

Last edited:
In the Song of British lion "Legend" says:

It's where the river's running fast
There're legends of the past
Your future written in the stars long ago
Can't be bought, can't be sold
Worth much more than diamonds and gold
You got the heart, you got the soul, a flame

Well, a storm brings the fire
The rain burns the ground
But a storm will blow over
A lost soul can be found
You say that you'll meet me
Where the blossom lies wild

This verse is so emotional and beautiful !!!

Another verse that is very beautiful is this:
song: Land of the Perfect People

Life ain't simple
Life can be tough
When your face doesn't fit in
You spend your life on the run
You're not wanted anywhere
All you want in your life is somebody to care

Other members said Harris did not have exclusive rights to the lyrics. But because he does something to me and tells me that he wrote them!

British lion - The burning

There's a place that I come from
Where the disenchanted live alone
And it rains all day and the nights are cold
Would you dare to wish for something more?

I have turned laughter to tears, punched my way to get here
Stole the fruit, bruised the skin from the heart of the innocent
Still you forgive

Where would I be without you
I couldn't live without you
You are the reason that I breathe

i think again steve harris wrote the song...

British lion - The burning

There is a riot inside, torn between truth and my pride
Will I have to learn to compromise?
Don't look back or for revenge
To the point where you descend
Stand at your post while the weak pass by
Show the world how a man should be

i think again steve harris wrote the lyrics!

Back