Deleting threads - an illustration of a problem

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
Imagine you just got up, had your first coffee and you find 20 spam threads. You can delete them by clicking checkmarks to the left and then hitting "delete". Now imagine it's not 2 but 20, with one somewhere in the middle that is not like the others.

threads_zpsdh7kixw4.png

We're using much scrutiny, folks, and check and re-check the lists every time, but sometimes a mistake slips through. If you are putting much effort into a thread, the best way to protect it is to get an avatar.

Ouch, well, these lists were not correct anyway, since Caught Somewhere in Time was not in them. Let's tag @matic22 so he can start a new thread.
Matic: Can you call it "Harris' 7 minutes and longer epics?" Afraid to Shoot Strangers is also an epic, and only 8 seconds shorter than 7 minutes.

Wrong thread?
What thread did you delete? Hopefully it was one of the really annoying "list" threads...:innocent:
Ouch, well, these lists were not correct anyway, since Caught Somewhere in Time was not in them. Let's tag @matic22 so he can start a new thread.
Matic: Can you call it "Harris' 7 minutes and longer epics?" Afraid to Shoot Strangers is also an epic, and only 8 seconds shorter than 7 minutes.
Should have been called 'Arry Epics anyway! ;)

Perun didn't accidentally delete anyone, as far as we can tell. He is trying to show why new people should get fucking avatars.

I thought Perun had deleted Harris's Epics. The third thread in the pic he posted:
threads_zpsdh7kixw4.png

edit:
I was wrong. It is on another board, and not deleted.

That was just a screenshot of my "new posts" screen before any action. I was just pointing out that this thread could easily be confused with a spam thread to a quick eye.

I know I've had at least one occasion where I nearly mistook a long thread title for spam.

Getting an avatar, even if a member does nothing else, means a bit of safety from accidents. I check the new members every day and delete spammers. This includes all accounts that sign up, but then have no further activity. If someone signs up, never posts and never gets an avatar, they're usually gone within a day. I make exceptions for nicknames that may be Maiden related, but watch them... I'm still waiting for @Iron Groover to post. He signed up 8 days ago and hasn't done a thing since. I'll give him another day or two, but he looks like a spammer with a coincidential "Iron" in the name.

It would just take a daemon on the server running twice a day to clean accounts that show a signup but no other activity. That's basically what I do by hand. I'd bet the first run of such a daemon would kill hundreds of spammers.

It would just take a daemon on the server running twice a day to clean accounts that show a signup but no other activity. That's basically what I do by hand. I'd bet the first run of such a daemon would kill hundreds of spammers.
You're our daemon.

Back