Dance of Death Cover

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
Did you know that osearching for mistakes on the DOD cover is almost as fun as searching for references on the SIT cover?

This is what I've found:

1) The character on the far right has a broken neck
2) The white dog is standing on the snake underneath it
3) The baby's foot is cutting into the dog
4) The character just on the left of Eddie; look at her right arm. It seems like someone ripped off a big piece just under her elbow
5) The character doing a backflip has a dislocated right shoulder
6) Its left shoulder is also terribly wrong
7) Its left hand is on its right arm instead of the ground
8) The small character on the far left is standing on the bigger one's foot

Yeah, that's kinda funny... And, have you paid attention that the name of the guy who did this artwork is not mentioned in the sleeve! Most likely, he was really afraid that angry Maiden fans would beat him to death! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] BTW, I also had some thoughts about WHY Maiden agreed to put such an awful picture to the cover? Is that a reply to Derek Riggs? Kinda "Maybe Riggs is a good painter, but we don't need him, so we'd better have a horrible cover artwork than his artwork"? Or they just wanted to give a reply to people who said that their album sleeves were better than their music? I don't know. What did they want to say with this cover? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Maybe a CGI lover on EMI saw this and put it on the album sleeve just before the release... [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] this was kinda funny, now i dislike it even more! someone should post this to EMI!! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Of course, EMI knows how lame DOD cover is and I bet they don't like it (they need to sell as many CD's as possible, and cover art is an important fact too). Most likely, it was Maiden's management's decision. It seems that they wanted this album to be taken as a "made-on-the street" album. Raw and a bit "dirty" sound, sloppy cover artwork... but why? What did they want to say with it? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
BTW, I wonder what their next album cover art will be. Will they continue to scare us with computer graphics or they will prefer to hire a good painter?

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Are you saying those mistakes were intencional?? [/quote] I don't know. Maybe the painter was that unskilled, or maybe he did all those miskakes intentionally. But IMO the decision to place this horrible picture on the cover was intentional. They do want so say something with this cover. But what do they want to say?

BTW, I don't like the new cover either. IMO, it's difficult to find a pervert who likes it! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Pervert, here I am ! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] And yes I think that the cover is very interesting. If you ever speak french, I already wrote something about it on the french part of this forum.
I don't (honest !) think this cover is so awful, I even like it. It is different from everything we saw, and I think it's a way of saying " beware of what you see, it may be not real". What would have been the point of doing a nice and perfect image, Maiden images are made to disturb or chock. This is done... but the real fun is that it was the fans who were disturbed and chocked [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I don't think that fans need to be shocked. Were they shocked in early 80s with the covers? Probably not. But their grandmothers obiously were! So IMO they'd better scare the grandmothers than the fans! And it's beyond me how you can like such a badly-drawn picture... [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The CGI things is just like the Ed Hunter covers; computer-made shit! But the Rainmaker cover is pretty good, so I think they're heading the right direction again!

I like Rainmaker cover artwork too (Eddie's smile is cute!) though the cover and the video remind me of The Wicker Man. If they continue to head this direction, I absolutely don't mind. But my favourite cover is still Killers' cover...

Yeah... And i don't like cgi-drawn Eddie! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] In 'The Angel And The Gambler' video he looked awfully bad! [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] The best Eddie is in 'The Wicker Man' video and on the 'Killers' album cover! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Killers artwork rule but I love the more sophisticated one of Powerslave more... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Dark Mind+Dec 23 2003, 03:01 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Dark Mind @ Dec 23 2003, 03:01 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I don't think that fans need to be shocked. Were they shocked in early 80s with the covers? Probably not. But their grandmothers obiously were! So IMO they'd better scare the grandmothers than the fans! And it's beyond me how you can like such a badly-drawn picture...  [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Sorry, a bug kept me out for a while... Hope everybody enjoyed christmast time [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Well, here is some explanations about that :
"I don't think that fans need to be shocked. "
The point of this cover and all the old ones was to shock and disturb the non metal listeners, and rallied the metal listeners. The fun with this one is, precisely, that it shocked and disturbed the ones who shouldn't have been : the fans. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I don't think either the fans need to be shocked but it keeps me laughing that it did for most of you.
And yes, I like it : colors, figures, meaning.
Come on, instead of crying out loud and complaining about it, take it for what it is, something visible on terms of marketing, something meaningful (manipulation of images and hence opinions) and last but not least a joke, something we should all find funny. Some of the characters are so silly and grostesque [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Laugh boys and take it as a new year resolution : laugh and don't complain so much, please.

Somewhere In Time cover has a lot of details and concept, I like it very much. But I like Killers cover more because it has some charming atmosphere... it just mesmerises me!

And I still can't accept DOD cover, It doesn't make me even laugh. I just look at it and imagine how beautiful it could be if it were drawn by a professional painter! And this discord of the imagination and reality makes me really sad... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think the idea for the DoD cover was good. The execution is the problem. Had it been a Riggs-quality painting, it would have been great.

Back