Crackpot Theory

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
At the request of LooseCannon, I present to you.....
drumroll
Crackpot Theory!

Imagine an object moving between two points. The normal view is that the object occupies each and every position on its path until it reaches its destination. But the number of possible positions between any two points is infinite. Does it make sense that an object could occupy infinite positions in space in a finite period of time?

Let's say no, or else my crackpot theory falls apart.

Under my crackpot theory, objects actually disappear and then reappear along their path. They only seem to move because it happens so quickly. Slow objects pop into existence slightly ahead of their last position. Fast objects pop into existence far ahead of where they were last; that's what makes them seem fast. So for any given distance, the fast-moving objects pop into existence fewer times along the path, like a long-legged runner who needs fewer strides.

A fast-traveling clock, for example, would have less time in existence to tick. If you could see it whizzing past you, it would appear slow.

Obviously all of this popping in and out of existence would have to be happening so fast we can't notice or measure it.

It might seem impossible that objects pop in and out of existence. But physicists know that's exactly what happens in the super-tiny quantum world. Matter jumps in and out of existence continually. Although large objects don't play by the same rules as the quantum world, the squirrelliness of the tiny world makes you question what you really know about anything.

As with most of my theories, this one doesn't hold up to close scrutiny, but it's surprisingly resilient to casual criticism.

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Mar 18 2004, 12:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 18 2004, 12:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Does it make sense that an object could occupy infinite positions in space in a finite period of time? Let's say no, or else my crackpot theory falls apart. [/quote]
The actual answer is yes, which is why your theory isn't right.

Every moving object moves at a given speed. Let's use the speed of one meter per second as an example. Sure, there are infinite positions available within the meter that the object will move through in one second. But each position is occupied for only a single instantaneous moment. The second that the movement takes can be likewise divided into an infinite number of moments. Infinite moments available to occupy infinite positions: the infinities cancel each other out.
In other words, your initial question was based on an incorrect premise. Time is not finite any more than position.

But it's not a bad attempt at a tough question. After all, Leibniz and Newton had to invent calculus before questions like this could be answered.

hmmm that should be your first clue in abandoning such theories lol [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Mar 18 2004, 01:43 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 18 2004, 01:43 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The actual answer is yes, which is why your theory isn't right.

Every moving object moves at a given speed. Let's use the speed of one meter per second as an example. Sure, there are infinite positions available within the meter that the object will move through in one second. But each position is occupied for only a single instantaneous moment. The second that the movement takes can be likewise divided into an infinite number of moments. Infinite moments available to occupy infinite positions: the infinities cancel each other out.
In other words, your initial question was based on an incorrect premise. Time is not finite any more than position.

But it's not a bad attempt at a tough question. After all, Leibniz and Newton had to invent calculus before questions like this could be answered. [/quote]
[!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Wow, nice explanation!

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Mar 18 2004, 06:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 18 2004, 06:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Under my crackpot theory, objects actually disappear and then reappear along their path. They only seem to move because it happens so quickly. Slow objects pop into existence slightly ahead of their last position. Fast objects pop into existence far ahead of where they were last; that's what makes them seem fast. [/quote]
Where do these objects go? Nonexistance? What if this object is a human? Would that mean we're constantly Existing and unexisting? How often do these things go ''Pop?" I know Maverick just explained this, but I wanna hear a little more.

What if, in theory, you're both correct? Couldn't time and existence stop and re-generate itself, starting exactly where it left off? How could one ever tell the difference if time started exactly wehre it left off, and at the same time, existence regenerated?

[!--QuoteBegin-GodBeWithYou+Mar 30 2004, 07:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(GodBeWithYou @ Mar 30 2004, 07:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Couldn't time and existence stop and re-generate itself, starting exactly where it left off? How could one ever tell the difference if time started exactly wehre it left off, and at the same time, existence regenerated? [/quote]
You're right, no one would be able to tell the difference. So it doesn't matter anyway. As far as we're concerned, that doesn't happen, even if you could imagine another point of view where maybe it was possible to witness such an event happening to our universe.

Occam's Razor must be used on ideas like this. It's the scientific principle that all extraneous material from a theory should be cut out. If you have 2 or more theories to explain some physical phenomena, and they both work equally well, the simplest theory is the correct one to use. Because a universe with constant passage of time is simpler than a universe where time stops and starts, the constant-time universe is a better theory.

Besides, no one really knows how the universe came to exist in the first place, so imagining a universe that re-creates itself* out of nothing from time to time is the kind of thing that make scientists brains short-circuit. Please don't do that to us. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']* or gets re-created by some outside agency, for you religious types[/span]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Mar 31 2004, 04:36 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 31 2004, 04:36 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']* or gets re-created by some outside agency, for you religious types[/span] [/quote]
you're are too kind to us religous types hahahaha. Though I prefer to keep religion and science seperate thank you (the beauties of being a post inquisition and reformation catholic hahahahaha)

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Mar 31 2004, 04:36 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 31 2004, 04:36 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] ..Besides, no one really knows how the universe came to exist in the first place.. [/quote]
I wanna get into THAT subject. It's something I've always wondered about (On a scientific level) and never got around to discussing with educated people.

Back