Covers that are better than the originals... or just covers

Most German singers have this terrible accent. This one suffers a bit less from it, plus he has a good range which might be more important.

Well, I commented on his voice, not his accent. I don't like the way the voice sounds. And as you know, that makes range and technique worthless to me.

It's personal indeed. I guess I added some things I don't like in singers myself. I really thought the Paradox singer sang pretty off-key in the higher, longer notes as Blaze did live in the nineties. So I don't think I want to know how this dude sounds live.

You do? Hm, I thought it was pretty well covered up, even on the earler albums.

I hear it in e.g. the phrase ...we are running wild in Prisoner of our Time. But indeed, some others like e.g. the dudes from Grave Digger or Blind Guardian are kind of heavier on the accent. :)

I did not mean to offend you Perun and actually, the accent is one of the lesser important aspects to me as well.
I guess I just wanted to emphasize a difference. Sound and tone are more important.

Oh, I see what you mean. I only consider it a heavy accent if they sound like Herr Flick. :)

Oh, I see what you mean. I only consider it a heavy accent if they sound like Herr Flick. :)
Hehe. Compared to him no one has an accent!

Who knows I hear it a bit better since my language is closer to German than yours but I am not sure if that makes me more sensible to it.

Meine also has an accent I think, but I don't play Scorpions enough to judge him well enough.

Meine's accent is quite strong, yes.
The similarities between Dutch and German should actually prevent you from hearing their accent. At least in theory.

Udo? Yes, his is quite noticeable.
The strongest accent I can think of is that of Tom Angelripper of Sodom.

The German with the smallest accent that I can think of is Kai Hansen. But I am sure there are others.

Meine's accent is quite strong, yes.
The similarities between Dutch and German should actually prevent you from hearing their accent. At least in theory.
Interesting. I'm quite aware of accents and the German language is very hard for me to filter. Even though the languages are close together, I still find that they sound pretty different. I find German a quite sharp, hard edged language. Especially the "sch" and the "ei" sound kind of cold and hard. These come together in the not too pleasant sounding nouns Scheiße! and Schweinehund! :)

Germans (and others) could say the same about Dutch. E.g. we have a very hard "g" or "ch" -as in Scheveningen- and a large vowel inventory, which could be confusing. Our version of God damn it (Godverdomme!) is quite aggressive I guess.

Also the German "r" in e.g. raus! and the "l" (mostly at the end of words) which is more pronounced in front of the mouth are quite different. When a metal singer sings fall or hell you might tell (s)he's a German.

Still, some of our dialects in the east are closer to German and we also have some that are impossible to understand in the rest of the Netherlands even.

To me Dutch sounds "edgier" and harder than German. Mostly because of the guttural "h" and "g", which sound very unusual to my ear.

I'm assuming you mean The Beatles' versions. I really love their version of You Really Got a Hold On Me too.

Out in the cold was awesome. I still prefer the Priest version though, and in particular the Priest... Live! version.

Back