Could someone recommend a good online music store

Invader

Ancient Mariner
I've been searching for the Alive in Athens CD for some time now in shops, with no success.  So I thought I'd just buy it from the internet.  However, I've never bought CDs online, so I'm not exactly familiar with any good online stores.  I tried cdon.com which didn't have the CD (DVD only), and I don't really know any others.  So, could someone recommend a store to me?  It should be European (so I don't get huge delivery fees), and being scandinavian would be a bonus.  By the way, I don't want to buy the album as MP3s, I want the actual CD. :)

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, mods.  I couldn't really think of a better place to put this.

Amazon, definitely. It's particularly rewarding for Europeans (at least for those in the Euro-zone) to order stuff from the US, because it is almost always much cheaper, even when including shipping and handling.

I would recommend Amazon to anybody.  It's a little bit more expensive than some other online stores, but items are generally dispatched the day after you deliver them, and, with first class post, they usually arrive on the second day.  I remember one time, I ordered Primordial's 'Spirit The Earth Aflame' (and others) at around 7 o'clock (PM).  Aside from costing less than £8 for one CD, it was dispatched at 11PM the same day, and arrived with next day's post.

So, yeah, Amazon are the way to go.  They usually stock just about everything, even relatively obscure and underground bands, and buying from the official marketplace is a safe bet.  Just don't go near their electronics section...their mp3 players are a tad overpriced, to say the least.

You don't really seem to have understood the concept of Amazon. Amazon is like a huge online market place. Amazon itself offers many, many products, but the bulk of it is made up of independent stores who use Amazon as a platform to offer their products.
Amazon itself often has quite steep prices on their products, but they offer a very reliable service, and as you said, you can often buy things that are either delivered the very same day (unless you're living somewhere in Lower Bumblefuck where nobody delivers anything) or in the mail the next morning.
However, you can also buy other offers, the prices of which can be dramatically cheaper than the Amazon.com offer. These products are often on the other side of the world, so you will have to wait a couple of days for your delivery.

To see what I mean, click this link. You will see Amazon's offer for The Number Of The Beast, which is priced at $9.97. However, you can also click on the link called "used & new", which displays a good number of offers from other sellers. The number one offer is from a guy in California who sells it for $7.73 (plus shipping), so you are best advised to buy this product instead of the one Amazon is offering (you will only save a few cents here, but hey, a penny saved...). 
To give you a more dramatic example, I just ordered a DVD which, on Amazon, cost €20. However, I bought it from a seller in Scotland, who offered it for €6,31 (plus €3 shipping).
Since currently, the Dollar is so weak compared to the Euro, you will usually find the cheapest offers in the US (again, talking to Euro-zoners here), even with shipping. It takes a couple of days to deliver (usually around three or four), but it's well worth the money saved.

I'll stop my shameless Amazon advertising now.  -_-

Perun said:
You don't really seem to have understood the concept of Amazon. Amazon is like a huge online market place. Amazon itself offers many, many products, but the bulk of it is made up of independent stores who use Amazon as a platform to offer their products.
Amazon itself often has quite steep prices on their products, but they offer a very reliable service, and as you said, you can often buy things that are either delivered the very same day (unless you're living somewhere in Lower Bumblefuck where nobody delivers anything) or in the mail the next morning.
However, you can also buy other offers, the prices of which can be dramatically cheaper than the Amazon.com offer. These products are often on the other side of the world, so you will have to wait a couple of days for your delivery.

To see what I mean, click this link. You will see Amazon's offer for The Number Of The Beast, which is priced at $9.97. However, you can also click on the link called "used & new", which displays a good number of offers from other sellers. The number one offer is from a guy in California who sells it for $7.73 (plus shipping), so you are best advised to buy this product instead of the one Amazon is offering (you will only save a few cents here, but hey, a penny saved...). 
To give you a more dramatic example, I just ordered a DVD which, on Amazon, cost €20. However, I bought it from a seller in Scotland, who offered it for €6,31 (plus €3 shipping).
Since currently, the Dollar is so weak compared to the Euro, you will usually find the cheapest offers in the US (again, talking to Euro-zoners here), even with shipping. It takes a couple of days to deliver (usually around three or four), but it's well worth the money saved.

I'll stop my shameless Amazon advertising now.  -_-

I'm well aware of the workings of Amazon.  I choose to use the official Amazon marketplace as opposed to the private sellers 9 times out of 10, because you frequently save only a few pounds, and the penalty is a large delay in the arrival of your goods (for the record, I don't buy things from the US, despite the savings).  Additionally, the official Amazon marketplace is, as I said, a safe bet...sometimes, private vendors can be a little less reliable in ensuring your products are dispatched on time, or arrive in the best condition.  Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

I thought of Amazon, but didn't really consider it as an option as, if I remember correctly, they have quite large shipping fees.  I ordered a lot of school books from amazon.co.uk this summer, and I think the shipping was fairly expensive (though the overall price was still cheaper than if I had bought them from Finland).  And I did check amazon.co.uk for the CD, but the CD itself was already so expensive that I excluded it as an option.

But, I never thought of the US site, and it's about 9 euros cheaper.  But, I would assume that shipping is pretty expensive from the US.  I tried looking around the site for the shipping fees, but I didn't find any.  Anyone know how expensive it is or where I can find the information? :)

Shipping fees are usually given next to the prices of the individual products..

Perun said:
I'd rather save the two pounds, but hey, each to his own.

Cheapskate :p

I'm just impatient.  That's why I use First Class as opposed to the Free delivery.

I would have suggested Amazon, but was well beaten to that. However, I have used 101CD.com quite a few times and had no issues.

Perun said:
However, you can also click on the link called "used & new", which displays a good number of offers from other sellers.

These "used & new" sellers are also great for extremely rare material, which Amazon might not stock but the other sellers often do. I don't know about music in this regard, but I've often found out-of-print books this way.

SinisterMinisterX said:
These "used & new" sellers are also great for extremely rare material, which Amazon might not stock but the other sellers often do. I don't know about music in this regard, but I've often found out-of-print books this way.

Amazon is indeed your best bet for out-of-print books. As for second-hand music, I'd rather recommend Ebay.

Back