Corrupted Blood Incident

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Don't know if you guys have read about this or not, but who knew WOW would actually do something useful and by that I mean nearly die. That's right, WOW was overrun by a virtual Black Plague that peaked the interest of several government agencies to better understand the spread of disease and actions to take to quarantine it and help survivors. Because some douche bag members spread the disease on purpose, thus also peaking the interest of anti-terrorism agencies. All in all it is a very interesting event that any field of study can benefit from. Members did things like leave infected towns, help heal the sick and those who couldn't help healing, but wanted to help set up check points of sorts to warn approaching travelers... fascinating.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

This game is one of the creepiest things I know. I've known three people who played it, including my best mate, and all three descended into a state of social isolation and "real life" failure, including important exams. I haven't known a person who played it and did not descend into such a state. I'm not touching that game with a pitchfork, and think it should be banned.

I played it for awhile and enjoyed it while I played.
It can be highly addictive but for me it was nothing like what you saw Perun.
Never got in the way of my social life or responsibilies. Job, friends and family still intact.
Maybe the difference was I was a solo player mostly - I never got into the social aspect of it.

So, Perun, it seems WoW worked as a substitute for alcohol or drugs for those mates of yours. It's quite scary that games can do that to people. Some people are simply more susceptible to addictive behaviour, but some things are also more suited for trigging such behaviour. It seems WoW is one of those things that are good at trigging it.

Those who are not susceptible to addictive behaviour in the first place, will probably not become addicted to WoW either. But of course, as McKindog points out - there is a social pressure in WoW as well. A peer pressure to stay. Like gang behaviour.

Back