Colors to the Music

JudasMyGuide

The resident reactionary recalcitrant
So, anyway, me and @Midnight were talking in the Now Playing thread about how certain songs evoke certain colors. And although it was mostly in jest, I wondered if this was an interesting topic to talk about.

Like I mentioned in the aforementioned thread, there is actually a medical condition called synesthesia which in certain its incarnations can make people "see" sounds as having colors - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakoff (or those two guys Rimsky and Korsakoff as the joke goes) was one of its famous "proponents"/"sufferers", but I guess this is not the case of us here, so this is more about admittedly subjective "feels" towards certain music.

For example, to me both Piece of Mind and Powerslave are the quintessential "yellow" albums for me - I always felt the sound and the atmoshpere is this really dry, "sandy", hot one (I admit a lot of that might be also because of the guitar tones and the "theme" of PS, To Tame a Land being about Dune and the general abundance of yellow on both album covers, but I guess it still counts).

So, anyone else?

Last edited:
For me personally the color of a song is almost always the same as the color of the album it's on.

For me personally the color of a song is almost always the same as the color of the album it's on.

I wonder whether it affects me as well - I already wrote about the "yellow" albums, but honestly, both Ghost of the Navigator ('cause sailing and storms on the sea and everything feeling dark blue) and Brave New World (with the intro sounding close to the ripples on the water) feel blue to me - same as the cover of the album. And for example Paschendale - I've always felt it to be red, not only because the intro is probably supposed to signify this red flare in the darkened sky, but also it's all raw, fighting, aggressive... very red. Again, one of the prominent colors on the cover. I'll have to think on it for a moment.

The fugitive lyrics says : "
"On a cold October morning
As frost lay on the ground"

The song reflects a cold color as the first verse says, could be brown and orange aswell (the colors of autumn) to me.
But as you say some songs are influenced by the colors of album covers but there are songs that could change this perception…for example Brave New world is Blue except Blood brothers that is a green song for me (maybe because the lyrics talked about the garden of eden).

Powerslave and the warm sound of the music in the whole album evokes a warm, yellow and hot colors as the album cover.

Back