Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Chains Of Misery

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Judas Be My Guide

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Hear! hear! Gaze and be amazed! Behold.., treasure....
....and value this broadly respected quality collection of (co-)written Bruce Dickinson songs !!  :)

Do not be a wasting Judas! Do not let fear be your guide!
Your choice is the key! Vote holy, vote deep! Be quick for the number one!

I went with Running Silent Running Deep.  It's a pretty good song both lyrically and musically.  The rest lacked in one of the two (or if they didn't,  I just thought they weren't as good).

Judas be my guide. Supreme intro riff, great chorus, great lyrics, a bit short, but still best from FOTD.

Hmm, a steaming pile of shit, a lot of mediocrities, and not one excellent song.  I can see why Bruce left the band then, he just didn't have inspiration it seems.

I went with Be Quick or Be Dead.  It's a good, quick song, and while I don't like Bruce's singing, I like the intro and his scream, and the song is otherwise very listenable.

wow... that list sure puts things into perspective, most of the songs are below average. Bring Your Daugter..., Wasting Love and Be Quick Or Be Dead are all memorable tunes, but I would have to go with Judas, be My Guide. That's simply because I love the intro solo and it's a very well written song.

Forostar said:
Do not be a wasting Judas! Do not let fear be your guide!
Your choice is the key! Vote holy, vote deep! Be quick for the number one!

Wow Forostar. Great one.

I vote for Judas be my guide, altough Run Silent, Run Deep is really close.

Dead Boss said:
Wow Forostar. Great one.

Glad you liked it, sometimes I have those weird eruptions. ;)

About the voting, I think I will play all those tracks before I decide what to do.
I only find the B-side and Chains of Misery weaker tracks, and I have several contestants for the winner.

Judas Be My Guide. One of the most underrated Maiden songs ever, in my opinion.

Not on this forum. :)

I played the tracks and it seemed that (at least currently) Judas Be My Guide is my favourite FOTD-song of all these tracks. Nice intro indeed. There's a particular warm feeling in this song.

But it didn't win. Both Run Silent Run Deep & Public Enema Number One I find better. I can find more in these tracks. Also Tailgunner (a very dynamic track) came close.

The bass playing is extremely cool in Run Silent Run Deep, so is the instrumental intersection. I like both solos and that following harmony is one the best ones from that period. In comparison, I dislike the end a little bit, tho.

After giving these songs a couple of spins, I decided to choose for Public Enema Number One.
There's hardly anything wrong with this track. Very strong couplets! The different rhythm guitar parts (rather rare for Maiden) Dave and Janick play I find energizing. People who dislike Bruce's rough vocals in this period should seriously listen to this track and try to imagine how it would sound with clean vocals. Opinions differ but when I listen to the music (rough as f**k), his voice fits perfect. He spits the words, you can really feel it. Great timing. 

..fast approaching, guns and riots!

Musically RSRD might have more to offer but the powerful inyour-face-feel of Enema..  has something I can't really describe.

In my opinion, there is only four dodgy songs:

Hooks In You
Fear Is The Key
Chains Of Misery
Judas Be My Guide (sorry all, I don't like this track)

The rest are quite good - even Bring Your Daughter..... (I have no opinion, however, on Nodding Donkey Blues as I really don't listen to b'sides that are not covers or different takes on an already released track).

But Tailgunner is quite possibly one of the best Maiden album openers (only Moonchild and Where Eagles Dare are better) and that is where my vote goes.

Albie said:
(I have no opinion, however, on Nodding Donkey Blues as I really don't listen to b'sides that are not covers or different takes on an already released track).

Do I misunderstand this?
You do not listen to b'sides that are not covers? So you rather listen to a cover instead of a newly written track?   :eek:

Absolutely. I have no interest, really, in the More Tea Vicars, the Pass The Jams, etc. They may well be newly written tracks, but they are just a mess about and I don't care much for them. Sorry. :D

I would much rather Maiden did a cover on a b'side than the above.

But I asked the question in general (not only looking at this poll) and now I am doubting if you are aware that Maiden did do b'sides which are neither covers, neither messes about, neither live tracks.

They did serious newly written b'sides and it's strange to never wanting to hear them. Like this you have a wrong idea about it, don't you agree?

Forostar said:
They did serious newly written b'sides and it's strange to never wanting to hear them.
They did indeed and the last decent newly written track to appear on a b'side was Total Eclipse. And they had some decent b'sides prior to that as well (Twilight Zone - although technically a double a'side, Burning Ambition, Invaders, etc). Most of the other stuff that was not a live track, a cover or a different version of an album track was just not that good, in my opinion, and as such, I don't listen to them. Don't get me wrong, I have on CD just about every single very b'side they have ever done and I have given each a fair crack of the whip, but they have not appealed to me that much.

Perhaps I should not have said I have no opinion of Nodding Donkey Blues - I just don't care for these tracks. Black Bart Blues was quite good though.

Albie said:
They did indeed and the last decent newly written track to appear on a b'side was Total Eclipse.

Earlier you named it mess about, which is a less subjective term than decent. Maybe we have a language miscommunication but to me "mess about" means silly, not serious tracks. Like e.g. More Tea Vicar or Sheriff of Huddersfield.

I think you make a mistake by overlooking Judgement Day (Bayley, Gers) and Justice of the Peace (Murray, Harris). From 1995, ever heard (of) them?

These tracks are serious new tracks written for the album The X-Factor and Maiden put as much effort in them as in the album tracks. Impossible to call them mess abouts, no matter if you like them or not.

Forostar said:
I think you make a mistake by overlooking Judgement Day (Bayley, Gers) and Justice of the Peace (Murray, Harris). From 1995, ever heard (of) them?

Two of my 3 favorite Maiden B-sides. Great songs, both of them.

The 3rd is Sheriff of Huddersfield, but that one I like more for the humor.

Meh, after the Steve Harris list, this was mediocre against mediocre at best. Anyway, chose Bring your daughter because its catchy at least and there's this one section with the chorus thats creepy and I like alot.

Forostar said:
Yes, when I said messing about, it as you thought - the not so serious stuff. But I have not overlooked the two tracks above - I have them, I have listened to them and I don't really like them that much.

Perhaps if I was to say that I have each and every single apart from Wasted Love and Futureal and I have actually listened to each and every one (b'side an' all) - but that is not to say I like them all.

It's not my ignorance of their existence, it's just my opinion.

Back