Cloverfield

Raven

Ancient Mariner
Okay, so I'm using StumbleUpon, since I'm trying to kill time before I leave for Austria (yay!), and I come across this website, which is obviously a trailer for a film.  For reasons I've never been able to discover, Mozilla (mine, at least) really doesn't like Apple, so I can't play the trailer.  So, being the ingenious dude I am, and seeing no other information on title etc., I google the date shown, and eventually, using YouTube, find this trailer.  Apparently, this was shown in advance screenings of Transformers, so at least some of you may have seen it.

If you haven't, watch it before going on.

Done that?

Good.

Okay, so nothing else appears to be forthcoming about this movie, except for what we see in the trailer, and some viral marketing websites (which I haven't gone to).  However, the two things that get me interested in this movie:

1. It's a monster...in New York, which is a cliche, but it's a monster nonetheless.

2. It RIPS OFF THE HEAD OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING.

Read that again.  Whatever this thing is, it's FUCKING HUGE.  Even bigger than Godzilla (argh...bad memories..sucky movie).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about what this movie could be.  Some have speculated that it could be Voltron (?) or Chtulu, and others have said a Lost spin-off.  The film producers have denied that it is a remake, sequel or update of any existing film or filmed franchise, which means its either something new, or something really big that never made it onto the big screens.

Of the list above, that leaves Chtulu...however, I'm not too keen on the idea of everyone's favourite mind-fucking, soul-sucking Old One being reduced to the status of wandering around New York throwing statues at people; the appeal of the H.P. Lovecraft novels is what he leaves unsaid, for your imagination to fill in.

Even so, this could be interesting.

I know what Cloverfield is.

It's EDDIE!

HAHAHA.

Seriously, no.  It's a brilliant ad campaign, being run by the super-genius JJ Abrams.  That guy has just exploded on the movie/TV scene being run.  And it's probably completely "new" (as in, as new as anything from Hollywood can ever be)...

Perun said:
Which one?  :huh:

The 1997 one, also set in New York.  Of course I'm not talking about the original, which I would have referred to as Gojira, anyway... :p

Raven said:
The 1997 one, also set in New York.  Of course I'm not talking about the original, which I would have referred to as Gojira, anyway... :p

Actually, the original was from the US, and it was really called Godzilla (I think it was produced i 1952). ;)

You know what? The source that misinformed me seems to have somehow mixed this film together with the US re-release of the Japanese original.
Bleh.

How could you ever want any other Godzilla anyway?

Godzillavs_biollante01.gif

Perun said:
You know what? The source that misinformed me seems to have somehow mixed this film together with the US re-release of the Japanese original.
Bleh.

How could you ever want any other Godzilla anyway?

Godzillavs_biollante01.gif

Hehe :)
Still an American creation, this "beast"(?)

Back