CHEESEVIVÖR: The Book of Metal: ALL HAIL VICTORIUS!

THE LAST BATTLE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voting's closed, but anyway:

Fuck Metal Law. I hate this band with a passion. That song has gotta be one of the worst I've ever heard. The riffs are okay, but the lyrics are the goddamn worst. I'm glad this band got nowhere. They don't deserve to get anywhere. Fuck them. UGH. Dreamtale is far better. They've been one of my favorites throughout this entire thing and they still haven't disappointed me.

Goddamn, Final Chapter was fantastic. Better than the previous songs they had on here. Really, really incredible. Reminds me of the "Feed the Birds" song in Mary Poppins, funnily enough. But jeez, Stormwitch was great too. This is a pair that are about matched, both songs were awesome. I think I'll go with Final Chapter, but on another day I might choose Stormwitch.

VOLUME I, Chapter 39: MIGHTY BATTALION BATTLE 5: Silent Knight vs Skull Fist

Silent Knight - Conquer & Command
The Australian renewers of Power Metal manage to avoid a lawsuit about their song title by switching words around. Maybe our favourite East Enders should have done the same? Anyway, we can continue to enjoy their totally fresh and original brand of cheese metal this way. \,,/

Skull Fist - You're Gonna Pay
I could ramble on about how Canadian this band is, but the video really does all the talking. If you need me, I'll be having moose jerky with maple syrup while watching the Habs vs. Leafs game.

draco4.jpg

VOLUME I, Chapter 40: MIGHTY BATTALION BATTLE 6: Braveride vs Icy Steel

Braveride - Ruins of Disaster
i.e. the Greek economy.

Icy Steel - Fire and Flames
If only these guys had called the song "Fire and Fury", at least they could have provoked a direct comparison to Agent Orange himself and prided themselves with having lyrics that are still more coherent than a typical Trump rant. Alas...

Last edited:
Icy Steel - Fire and Flames
If only these guys had called the song "Fire and Fury", at least they could have provoked a direct comparison to Agent Orange himself and prided themselves with having lyrics that are still more coherent than a typical Trump rant. Alas...

@Perun - you linked to a ballad called "The Weight of Signs." Are you trying to make us work for our cheese?! :eek:

Silent Knight hits a lot of the traditional power metal cheese icons that one might expect. Delightful, truly, and I really did enjoy it. Skull Fist hits more of that thrash vein, but the lyrical content are a wee bit more ridiculous - and that video is dumb, straight up dumb. I'm going to give it to Skull Fist.

Braveride starts out with a delightfully terrible opening, but I'm not a big fan of the lyrics. It goes from "delightfully bad" to just "bad", and that's not a good thing. The instrumental is similarly blah. Icy Steel swings back towards the thrash end of stuff, which, normally, I lean towards Power Cheese compared to Thrash Cheese, but here I think it's superior. Neither band really seems to get what this is about, though. Icy Steel.

Skull Fist's video was silly low budget fun, but Silent Knight's song was more listenable on the whole.

Steely Steel are playing it quite straight compared to Braveride here, but By the Power of Cheese, I feel compelled to vote for Braveride for overall cheapness.

I, somehow, actually like Skull Fist. They're also better musicians, cheesier, and more fun than Silent Knight.

In match two, Icy Steel gets my vote for their supremely lame "Flame. Fire and flames." chorus delivered like a guy taking a fast food order.

VOLUME I, Chapter 41: AUGUST BATTALION BATTLE 5: Wolf vs Masterplan

Wolf - Out of Still Midnight
Welcome to the battle of the losers! Neither Wolf nor Masterplan can make it to the next round anymore, because Virgin Steele and Yuri Fulone have been full cheese metal juggernaughts.

Masterplan - Headbanger's Ballroom
Masterplan have not been able to score a single vote this far. My hopes aren't particularly high for this one either, but I am somewhat fond of this song. It was written as a tribute to the eponymous Hamburg metal club I used to frequent aeons ago when I was still a little headbanger who was happy to hear some place somewhere playing some Maiden.

iu

VOLUME I, Chapter 42: AUGUST BATTALION BATTLE 6: Virgin Steele vs Yuri Fulone

Virgin Steele - Guardians of the Flame
And here is the battle of the irresistible force vs the immovable object. Virgin Steele are the only ones who have so far not received a single vote against them, and thus are the anti-Masterplan.

Yuri Fulone - By Odin's Side
Yuri is one of the breakout acts, of this crusade. A wholly obscure discovery of mine during the run-up who has so far shredded his entire opposition and only gotten one vote against him. But can he prevail against Virgin Steele? Either way, the Round of 16 is secure for him.

Yuri immediately gets my vote in the second match up. Virgin Steele are kings of cheese, but Yuri is a behemoth. That first "I am a warrior!" stole the show.

As for the first match, I have to go with Wolf solely for their recycled riffing and over-earnestness. Something I've noticed throughout this whole game is that I'm not usually voting for artists that actually make good music. Masterplan aren't a favorite band of mine, but the musicianship, creativity, and performances are generally of a higher caliber than most competitors in the Wars of Cheese. Jørn's bluesy, Dio-esque voice somehow makes them less cheesy because he can actually sing and deliver cheesy lyrics with believability.

Back