Catalonia

A

Anonymous

A Spanish fan has written to me to point out the fact that I should include the flag of Catalonia in my dates/venues lists of Maiden gigs in the Commentary when Maiden played Barcelona. His argument is that Catalonia is to Spain what Scotland would be to the UK, for instance.

As I am not familiar with this particular topic, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about this particular topic. Should the flag be added or would it be as silly as adding the Bavarian flag when Maiden played in Munich?

Thanks in advance for your answers! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Don't listen to him Mav, Catalonia is officially part of Spain, it is now a province, NOT a seperate kingdom. Ever since spain was "united" nobody wants to be a part of it, Catalonia hates Andalucia, everybody hates Castilla etc. Sepratist movements exist like the vasque ETA, a terrorist group fighting for "independance" whatever, every country has a blacksheep like that. So again, it would be like somebody from The U.S south telling you to place the confederate flag... simply moronic.

Catalonia is one of Spain autonomous comnunity. They have their own government consisting in a Parliament, a President and an executive council. They hold exclusive juridiction in various matters of culture, environment, communications, transportation, commerce, public safety and local governments They share juridiction with the Spanish government in aspects of health, justice and education.
They should get more autonomy until 2008.
However Catalonia has no legal status at an international level and still depends on Spain.
So to answer your question is quite difficult. I don't think you can take off the Spanish flag as Catalonia is a part of Spain. And it's not a question of making that guy fell better. Now you could add the Catalan flag to the Spanish flag but basically what you have to know is if the Catalan flag has an official function, for example if it has replaced the Spanish flag in town halls and schools. And this I don't know.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Dec 5 2005, 04:12 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Dec 5 2005, 04:12 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Sometimes compromising in situations like these avoid further confrontations.  The matter is so petty, why don't you just let it go if it makes the Catalonian dude feel better?
[snapback]124622[/snapback]​
[/quote]
This is not a confrontation, it's an email request. Maverick is not obligated to honor it in any way. The fact that he's even considering it means he's doing more than he has to.

The purpose of Maverick's website is to provide correct information about Iron Maiden. That is why he is seeking correct information about Catalonia here. It's not about making anyone feel better. It's about being right.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Dec 5 2005, 04:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Dec 5 2005, 04:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]So again, it would be like somebody from The U.S south telling you to place the confederate flag... simply moronic.
[snapback]124620[/snapback]​
[/quote]
A perfect analogy. The confederate flag is viewed by all persons with a working brain as a symbol of racism. For all we know, the Catalonian flag has a similarly disgusting meaning to the rest of the Spanish people. I admit that's unlikely, but it's one reason not to place it on a website without investigation.

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Dec 5 2005, 10:12 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Dec 5 2005, 10:12 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Here come the PC police to make us all know what "technically" should be right.  Sometimes compromising in situations like these avoid further confrontations.  The matter is so petty, why don't you just let it go if it makes the Catalonian dude feel better?
[snapback]124622[/snapback]​
[/quote]

If you think I'm the "pc police" you haven't been paying attention all the time you've been here. this is a community that could give a flying fuck what the "pc police" thinks, we promote intelligent discussion, not to mention CORRECT information. This is not about calling somebody "african-american" instead of "black" or "nigger", this is about catalonia's autonamy or lack thereof, nothing to do with political correctness.

I may need to add that the Catalonian flag would be added next to the Spanish flag, like the Welsh, English, Scottish and Northern Irish flags feature next to the Union Jack...

If I read it and see the flag of Catalonia, I will go..."WTF?" It's been over 500 years since Spain was united. It is not a nation. Scotland is, with it's own parliament and laws.

Secondly, I just want to make a point about Confederate flags.

This is a symbol of racism:
[img src=\'http://www.archives.state.al.us/images/natflag1.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

This is not:
[img src=\'http://www2.powercom.net/~rokats/battle.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

You're wrong, LC. It does not matter what the supporters of the confederate flag think - the rest of the US (correctly) thinks the confederate flag is a racist flag.

Exactly, and the majority of spain doesn't think catalonia is separate, Like you said it is only one dude, I don't care how pasionate he is, one person doesn't get anything done, many do, if more catalonians complain then it is something to seriously consider.

I may be a bit late to this, but I would personally only add the Catalonian flag if all other flags of Spanish provinces would be added to the appropriate ones.

Catalonia is trying to become independent of Spain, and adding the Catalonian flag there would be commending that struggle. But the fact is, that the Catalonians/their government are acting very racist towards Spaniards and they are really aiming to disturb the peaceful existence of the country. The only difference Catalonia has to the Basque country is that the Basques/their government are using physical violence.

I cannot believe my luck! in my hectic traveling this season on one of the planes I was on a met a man from Catalonia, I felt it was only proper to ask a person from the region we are discussing what the reality of the situation was and this is what he told me:

The Catalonian sepratist movement began in the 1700 as a power struggle between to royal families (Asturias and... I believe castilla is what he said)

Catalonia IS NOT an independant entity no matter how much the local government and people say it is.

It CAN'T be an independant entity because it does not have a budget nor any resources, it is simply a state/province of Spain.

Catalonia can be compared to Chiapas/Yucatan in Mexico, Texas in the U.S and many other states in several countries around the world who think they can go their own way but can't.

My former flatmate in Hamburg was from the Basque country, so I just trusted in what she told.

And she was right. I didn't deny anything you said, simply reinterated that Catalonia's dreams of "independance" are a fantasy like those of Chiapas in Mexico.

Back