Candlemass

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Guys and girls!
The new Candlemass album "King Of The Grey Islands" is truly excellent!

Album of the month (by far!) in Dutch metal magazine "Aardschok" and probably in other mags as well.

candlemass_kinfofthe.jpg

Check it out! :)  :ok:

tracklist:

"Prologue" - 0:56
"Emperor of the Void" - 4:29
"Devil Seed" - 5:44
"Of Stars and Smoke" - 5:50
"Demonia 6" - 6:23
"Destroyer" - 7:52
"Man of Shadows" - 6:17
"Clearsight" - 6:52
"The Opal City" - 1:13
"Embracing the Styx" - 8:19

More info on this legendary doom band: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlemass

It's not really a review - it's more just a bit of info about their new CD. ;)

I may well have a listen to this as they have done some good stuff in the past.

I could have done that indeed, Onhell (but then what's the point of these "Metalfans Forums"? ;) )

For now the main message is:

It's out (at least where I live), and I hope people will give it a listen, even if they're not so familiar with doom metal. This album is heavy as f**k and contains some good singing and solos !

Live they're really strong as well, so if they ever come near, do not hesitate! :)

Not really a doom connoisseur, but I checked out the samples on the e-card as soon as it was up, and it is good, indeed.  They're playing the Day of Darkness festival in Co. Laois this weekend, unfortunately, I'm doing work experience, so I have to miss out on them and Sabbat, another awesome live band. :(

Too bad you have to miss them but I'm sure you'll get more chances! The band is fired up after such a long break and I think they will tour more often the upcoming years.

I remember seeing Candlemass live around 17/18 years ago at the Marquee. Although the Marquee was one of the (if not the) most prestigious of small venues to do in London, the stage was not that big - and Marcolin almost filled it on his own. :D

Whilst on the subject of Candlemass, enjoy this classic.

Those were the days Albie! :)
Thanks for that link, didn't know this clip yet! I saw Candlemass in 2002 and the band was very energetic!

I'll tell you something that might interest you. The limited edition (digipack) of the new album contains live in the studio sessions of "Solitude" and "At The Gallows End"! These are the vocal sessions with new singer Robert Lowe.

Forostar said:
I could have done that indeed, Onhell (but then what's the point of these "Metalfans Forums"? ;) )

True true... I guess... ok fine, I SAID FINE!!! Why are you still baggering me? QUIT IT! I'm gonna tell on you! WTFF? ok I'm done :D

Albie said:
I remember seeing Candlemass live around 17/18 years ago at the Marquee. Although the Marquee was one of the (if not the) most prestigious of small venues to do in London, the stage was not that big - and Marcolin almost filled it on his own. :D

He is a big fella isn't he? Massive is more like it :D

Fan-filmed video footage of CANDLEMASS performing the song "Black Dwarf" at the Metaltown festival on Saturday, June 30 in Gothenburg, Sweden has been posted at YouTube.  -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249-XLWkHKU

CANDLEMASS' new album, "King of the Grey Islands", was released on June 22 via Nuclear Blast Records.

A brand new audio interview with CANDLEMASS bassist/songwriter Leif Edling has been posted online in two parts: Part#1, Part#2.
For links go to http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=75934

The interview was broadcast on "Whiplash", the only metal show on national radio in Belgium, on Studio Brussels.

Legendary Swedish doomsters CANDLEMASS have scheduled two exclusive gigs in the U.K. in September:

Sep. 11 – Leeds, UK @ Rio's
Sep. 12 – London, UK @ Dingwalls

Forostar said:
Fan-filmed video footage of CANDLEMASS performing the song "Black Dwarf" at the Metaltown festival on Saturday, June 30 in Gothenburg, Sweden has been posted at YouTube.  -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249-XLWkHKU
I have to admit that Candlemass without the Messiah is not quite the same (although he was only around for half of it). This new guy (if I can judge him by the above YouTube vid) does not have the same operatic range that Marcolin has, or indeed the passion. He barely moves.

Having said that, I will still be interested in what this album sounds like.

And, it may be worth pointing out that when been a Sabbath influenced doom band was extremely untrendy, both Trouble and Candlemass broke this rule and so inspired many an act to follow on. Doom metal may not of existed as it does today had it nor been for these two acts.

Forgive my ramblings, but I have had a liquid lunch. :D

Albie said:
I have to admit that Candlemass without the Messiah is not quite the same (although he was only around for half of it). This new guy (if I can judge him by the above YouTube vid) does not have the same operatic range that Marcolin has, or indeed the passion. He barely moves.

From what I gather, that video was from one of his first pro gigs with Candlemass...also, you can see him reading some of the lyrics halfway through the song, presumably from an autocue.  Whenever you don't even know the lyrics you have to sing, you're going to be a little too nervous to have a stage presence.  I think he'll break in to the band quite nicely...

Hmm that Youtube vid might not have been the best idea. Just in case: the song is from the previous album (the last album with Messiah).

Better check the new album! :)

And here is a video of the same singer, playing with his other band "Solitude Aeturnus"

Enjoy: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=n9n68bp_wj4

I bought tickets for the Candlemass gig !!  :yey:

Anyone else going?

Friday 17 August: Metal Heart Festival - Notodden, Norway
Saturday 18 August: Jalometalli Festival - Oulu, Finland
Friday 31. Aug Malmoe, Sweden. K.B.

Saturday 1. Sept Copenhagen,Denmark. The Rock
Sunday 2. Hamburg,Germany. Markthalle
Monday 3. Berlin,Germany. Kato
Tuesday 4. Nurenberg,Germany. Hirsch
Thursday 6. Essen,Germany. Turock
Friday 7. Eindhoven, Holland. Dynamo
Saturday 8. Würzburg,Germany. Soundpark Ost *)
Sunday 9. Rijssen, Holland. Lucky **)
Tuesday 11. Leeds,UK. Rio's
Wednesday 12. London,UK. Dingwalls
Thursday 13 Antwerp, Belgium. Trix
Saturday 15. Pratteln, Switzerland. Z 7.
Sunday 16. Milano,Italy. Transilvania
Tuesday 19. Budapest,Hungary. A 38
Thursday 20. Krakow, Poland. Studio
Saturday 22. Flensburg,Germany Roxy
Sunday 23. Göteborg, Sweden. Sticky FIngers
Monday 24. Linköping, Sweden. Atmosfär
Wednesday 26. Stockholm, Sweden. Klubben
Saturday 29. Thessaloniki,Greece. Idrogios
Sunday 30. Athens,Greece. Gagarin 205

*08. September 2007
Würzburg Germany “Soundpark-Ost” (ehemals Rockpalast)
POWER OF DOOM FESTIVAL
Candlemass with Warning (UK)[exclusive German Show], Powerwolf (GER)
The Lamp of Thoth (UK) [Exclusive German Show] Officium Triste

**09. September 2007 Rijssen, Holland. “Lucky”
METAL MELT DOWN
with Agent Steel and Vicious Rumours + others.

YES!!!

CANDLEMASS: 20th Anniversary Concert To Be Released On DVD - Aug. 22, 2007 

Legendary Swedish doomsters CANDLEMASS filmed their 20th anniversary concert on March 31, 2007 at Stockholm's Kolingsborg for an upcoming DVD, tentatively due in October/November via Snapper/Peaceville. CANDLEMASS performed with no less than seven (!) different vocalists — including the band's former singers Johan Langquist and Tomas Vikström, plus the group's latest addition, Robert Lowe of SOLITUDE AETURNUS.

The complete list of vocalists that performed with the band is as follows:

Johan Langquist (ex-CANDLEMASS)
Tomas Vikström (ex-CANDLEMASS)
Mikael Åkerfeldt (OPETH)
Mats Levén (KRUX, THERION, ex-YNGWIE MALMSTEEN)
Robert Lowe (CANDLEMASS, SOLITUDE AETURNUS)
Tony Martin (ex-BLACK SABBATH)
Janne Christoffersson (GRAND MAGUS, SPIRITUAL BEGGARS)

The group's setlist was as follows:

01. The Dying Illusion (Tomas Vikström)
02. Bewitched (Tomas Vikström)
03. Dark are the Veils of Death (Tomas Vikström)
04. Where the Runes Still Speak (Tomas Vikström)
05. Ebony Throne (Tomas Vikström)
06. Well of Souls (Janne Christoffersson)
07. Black Dwarf (Mats Levén)
08. At the Gallows End (Mikael Åkerfeldt)
09. [New Song] (Robert Lowe)
10. Samarithan (Robert Lowe)
11. Mirror Mirror (Robert Lowe)
12. Crystal Ball (Johan Langquist)
12. Demon's Gate (Johan Langquist)
13. Under the Oak (Johan Langquist)
14. A Sorcerer's Pledge (Johan Langquist)
Encore:
15. Witches (Tony Martin)
16. Bullfest (Tomas Vikström)
17. Solitude (Langquist/Vikström/Lowe)

In addition to the concert footage, the DVD will include interviews with all the vocalists from that evening as extra material.

:yey:

Back