Can I Play With Madness single

Hi guys,

So it's been around 27 years since I bought my first maiden record, and somethings been bugging me all this time - can anyone tell me who that is pictured with the band on the back cover???thYRISW93D.jpg

Ive never seen this asked anywhere so apologise if its obvious, but hope somebody can help!?

Never seen that before. The Commentary doesn't mention it. It names Martin Birch beneath, but it's hard to tell.

Here's what vintage Birch looked like:
martinbirchsteveharris.jpg

How vintage is that? Steve is drinking Tab.

Pretty sure it's Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame. He appeared in the promo video, which also was his last performance before his death in 1989.

Weren't there several pics of footie kit and straitjackets? I'm sure I've seen other pics from the shoot before.

George Bodnar, a photographer, friend of Ross Halfin:
I'd known George since 1976 when we both used to shoot photos for the NME, Melody Maker and Sounds. I named him "Crazy" George because he was so normal - he loved the name and would call me up and say 'Hello, Crazy calling'. There is a photo of him as a crazy doctor on the Iron Maiden single Can I Play With Madness with the band in straight jackets. I thought it was a great idea, a bit silly now.
(source: http://www.rosshalfin.com/diary/november-2011/diary-november-2011.php on November, 22)

I've always thought it was Rik Mayall of the young ones fame. He was in the comedy spoof band Bad News as well who did a charity gig with Maiden in Hammersmith on the Somewhere On Tour

Back