Building the Perfect Beast...with a twist.

'Arry

Educated Fool
I was struck with this idea on my way to work.

I did a search and couldn't find anything here that was the same. (but that's not saying much. I have zero search skills, so if it's been done, just kill the thread)

I'm sure we've all done the dream Maiden album, and that basically what this thread is about, but with one difference:

You can only put a song in the spot as it appears on the CD.

For track one, you can only use a song that is track one on a Maiden album.

Example:

1. Where Eagles Dare
2. Ghost of the Navigator

You get the idea.

The guidelines:

The highest track number is twelve songs, so there will be twelve tracks.

To avoid any confusion, you can only use tracks from the original release from this link:

Maiden Discography

This way, everyone is on the same page.

Because all their albums have at least 8 tracks, your first 8 MUST appear on your list as it appears on the Maiden cd.

After that, there's some flexibility. Because the selections dwindle after track eight, the last four tracks, you may substitute.

No bonus tracks

I was thinking about the cuts, and already it's become a Sophie's Choice for a couple of tracks.

Hopefully, it will be just as gut wrenching for you.

1. Aces High - could easily be Prowler, WED, Eternity.
2. Infinite Dreams - hard luck Revelations.
3. Running Free - tight with Brave New World and Murders In The Rue Morgue.
4. Phantom of the Opera - Evil and Blood Brothers are favourites of mine but zero contest, really.
5. Dance of Death - two instrumentals, 7th Son, Longest Day. Toughest call yet.
6. The Educated Fool - Strange World and The Book of Souls were the only other contenders.
7. Killers - Close one with Breeg and Powerslave.
8. Hallowed Be Thy Name.
9. Purgatory - OOTSP, Face in the Sand and Lord of Light deserve mention but no contest, really.
10. Judas Be My Guide - The urgency wins out over the soaring vocals and instrumental of Thin Line.
11. The Unbeliever - Its got 10mins advantage over its nearest competitor.
12. The Legacy - Using your switcharoo rule for this one.*

*FOTD is great live, in the flesh and on video but I never actively chose to listen to the recorded version.

I'd like to see how my list compares to the one in the other thread.

I think the last 4 being flexible is new compared to the old one. And we have a new album these days.

1. Prowler, The Ides of March, Invaders, Where Eagles Dare, Aces High, Caught Somewhere in Time, Moonchild, Tailgunner, Be Quick or Be Dead, Sign of the Cross, Futureal, The Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams, Different World, Satellite 15... The Final Frontier, If Eternity Should Fail
2. Remember Tomorrow, Wrathchild, Children of the Damned, Revelations, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Wasted Years, Infinite Dreams, Holy Smoke, From Here to Eternity, Lord of the Flies, The Angel and the Gambler, Ghost of the Navigator, Rainmaker, These Colours Don't Run, El Dorado, Speed of Light
3. Running Free, Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Prisoner, Flight of Icarus, Losfer Words (Big 'Orra), Sea of Madness, Can I Play With Madness, No Prayer For the Dying, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Man on the Edge, Lightning Strikes Twice, Brave New World, No More Lies, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Mother of Mercy, The Great Unknown
4. Phantom of the Opera, Another Life, 22 Acacia Avenue, Die With Your Boots On, Flash of the Blade, Heaven Can Wait, The Evil That Men Do, Public Enema Number One, Fear is the Key, Fortunes of War, The Clansman, Blood Brothers, Montsegur, The Pilgrim, Coming Home, The Red and the Black
5. Transylvania, Genghis Khan, The Number of the Beast, The Trooper, The Duellists, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Fates Warning, Childhood's End, Look For the Truth, When Two Worlds Collide, The Mercenary, Dance of Death, The Longest Day, The Alchemist, When the River Runs Deep
6. Strange World, Innocent Exile, Run to the Hills, Still Life, Back in the Village, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Prophecy, The Assassin, Wasting Love, The Aftermath, The Educated Fool, Dream of Mirrors, Gates of Tomorrow, Out of the Shadows, Isle of Avalon, The Book of Souls
7. Charlotte the Harlot, Killers, Gangland, Quest For Fire, Powerslave, Deja Vu, The Clairvoyant, Run Silent Run Deep, The Fugitive, Judgement of Heaven, Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, The Fallen Angel, New Frontier, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Starblind, Death or Glory
8. Iron Maiden, Prodigal Son, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Sun and Steel, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great, Only the Good Die Young, Hooks In You, Chains of Misery, Blood on the World's Hands, Como Estais Amigos, The Nomad, Paschendale, For the Greater Good of God, The Talisman, Shadows of the Valley
9+. Purgatory, Drifter, To Tame a Land, Bring Your Daughter... ...To the Slaughter, Mother Russia, The Apparition, Judas Be My Guide, Weekend Warrior, Fear of the Dark, The Edge of Darkness, 2 AM, The Unbeliever, Out of the Silent Planet, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Face in the Sand, Age of Innocence, Journeyman, Lord of Light, The Legacy, The Man Who Would Be King, When the Wild Wind Blows, Tears of a Clown, The Man of Sorrows, Empire of the Clouds

1. Aces High (Runners up: Moonchild, Sign of the Cross, The Wicker Man, If Eternity Should Fail). Absolutely crackers how good the opening tracks are over the years, with only a couple duds at this spot. But Aces High is the song that entrenched me as a Maiden fan. It can't be beat.
2. Revelations (Runners up: Wasted Years, Ghost of the Navigator) A little easier, but the choice between Revelations and Ghost of the Navigator is hard. I'm wearing my Ghost of the Navigator shirt right now, in fact. Still, Revelations barely inches past it. Can't wait for the tour.
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Runners up: Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Brave New World) Pretty easy to narrow this down, but much easier to make the final pick. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is a top 5 song for me - top 3 song some days - and Brave New World isn't quite as strong with me as it used to be.
4. Phantom of the Opera (Runners up: The Evil That Men Do, The Clansman) "If you don't like this song, you don't fuckin' like Iron Maiden." - Bruce Dickinson
5. Dance of Death (Runners up: The Number of the Beast, The Trooper) Beating out two 80s stalwarts. I hope I get a chance to see this one live someday, it's a true masterpiece, one of Janick's greatest compositions.
6. The Book of Souls (Runners up: Run to the Hills, Stranger in a Strange Land, Dream of Mirrors) beating two stalwarts of the golden era and another Janick composition. Is this song that good? You're fucking right it is.
7. Powerslave (Runners up: Killers, Starblind) Not a particularly strong number, but Killers and Starblind are great. Powerslave, though, is top 2 song for me. So no real competition.
8. Paschendale (Runners up: Hallowed Be Thy Name, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great, For the Greater Good of God) Could this be the best number? I think it might actually be. Paschendale is my favourite song of all time, and likely will be forever and ever. But man, that's a titanic lineup or runners up, don't you think?
9. The Edge of Darkness
10. Out of the Silent Planet*
11. Empire of the Clouds
12. Fear of the Dark
Runners up: To Tame a Land, Lord of Light, The Legacy

Boy, there's a lot of junk in the last few songs, I didn't feel bad at all about any of the cuts here and it was actually hard to get 3 runners up. I only had to move one song around to get the lineup as well. Very happy with this playlist actually, it might be one I make later.

01. Where Eagles Dare
02. Rainmaker
03. The Prisoner
04. Blood Brothers
05. Dance Of Death (The Longest Day)
06. The Book Of Souls
07. Powerslave
08. For The Greater Good Of God (The Nomad, Hallowed Be Thy Name)
09. Face In The Sand
10. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

1.The Wicker Man
2.Rainmaker
3.Flight Of Icarus
4.Blood Brothers
5.The Trooper
6.Wasting Love
7.Judgement Of Heaven
8.Hallowed Be Thy Name
9.Out Of The Silent Planet
10.Judas Be My Guide
11.Empire Of The Clouds
12.Fear Of The Dark

1. The Wicker Man
2. Revelations
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Dance of Death
6. The Book of Souls
7. Powerslave
8. Hallowed Be Thy Name
9. Out of the Silent Planet
10. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
11. When the Wild Wind Blows
12. Empire of the Clouds

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Phantom of the Opera
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Powerslave
Hallowed be the Name
To Tame a Land
When the Wild Wind Blows
Empire of the Clouds
Fear of the Dark

Stuck with only including tracks in their proper positions. Agree with Loose Cannon that 8 is the best position.

Back