Bruce's solo works

Anomica

Trooper
I know I may be a late bloomer :innocent:, being almost 40 and just having discovered Bruce's solo works, but I have to ask something from all you knowledgeable people around here.
On King Crimson, one of the guitar solos sound exactly as Dave Murray would but he's not credited. I guess that means he's not actually doing it, but is Roy Z's sound so damn similar to Davey's?

On another note I really must say that Tyranny of souls and Chemical Wedding are two of the best metal albums I've heard in many years. Not consistently - there are some fillers on them - but some of the songs... I'd love to hear Maiden perform Book of Thel or Gates of Urizen, for example. Heavy, soulful, filled with great riffs and intriguing lyrics...and Bruce uses his voice like a master, conveying emotions like seldom before or after. After a few listenings, I'm lost in a magical world of alchemy, tarot and other obscure practices fitting for a fantasy buff like myself.
Some of the songs are really reminiscent of early Black Sabbath - are they one of Bruce's influences?
Surprisingly (to me at least) not many songs sound very "Maiden-esque", eventhough Bruce have written quite a few songs in the band as well. Anyone that wants to explain that to me, if you know why?

Accident of birth is a very decent album as well, but the rest of them are a bit disappointing considering the quality of the two latest. Someone somewhere in a post here on Maidenfans characterized Bruce's solo albums as "2 a bit grungy, 2 metal" etc. I suppose I agree with that and I have a feeling it's the more "metally" albums that wormed their way into my ears. Some of the songs ranks high even compared with Maiden's best works. Impressive...

Bruce's solo albums mean a lot to me. I got into them in a time when things weren't going very well for me, and I suppose they were an important factor in keeping me sane. I guess Chemical Wedding gets most credit for that, but Balls To Picasso, Accident Of Birth, Scream For Me Brazil and Tyranny Of Souls all played their part. When I listen to them today, I always get a very comfortable feeling.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend you to listen to the other three, though. Maybe Tattooed Millionaire isn't exactly top-notch, but Skunkworks and Alive At Studio A/Live At The Marquee are great listens; I only got into them much later.

I believe that Accident Of Birth, Chemical Wedding and Scream For Me Brazil are among the greatest heavy metal albums ever made. Balls To Picasso requires a lot of time to get into and understand properly (I suppose some background knowledge is necessary too), but is very rewarding when you take your time for it. Of course, it is best enjoyed with the accompanying live albums.

I personally prefer the albums Bruce did between 1993 and 1999 over most of Maiden's stuff.

Balls to Picasso, like Perun said, may take some time to get into but there are some amazing songs on it, and I'm not only talking about Tears of the Dragon which seems to be the only thing people like from it. I especially love the extra emphasis on the percussion, it gives it a whole different dimension that's not so prominent on the other albums.

Skunkworks is one of my favourite records of all time and in many ways the most remarkable album in Bruce's career, which, of course, is why opinions on it are so split. It's a love or hate thing, but a very important album for any Bruce fan no matter what you think about it.

Accident of Birth is a brilliant metal album, but is eclipsed by The Chemical Wedding, which still remains my favourite metal album of all time. Not a single weak song, and quite a few real pearls.

Tattooed Millionaire and Tyranny of Souls are alright I guess but nothing I particularly like.

Surprisingly (to me at least) not many songs sound very "Maiden-esque", eventhough Bruce have written quite a few songs in the band as well. Anyone that wants to explain that to me, if you know why?

Part of the reason Bruce left Maiden was that he wanted to do something completely different. That's why the Keith Olsen album, Balls to Picasso, Skunkworks and The Chemical Wedding all are very different from what Maiden is about (Accident of Birth is quite close to the Maiden sound if you ask me). It's all about Bruce wanting to explore new styles.

In fact, I think it would be great if he would do that again. For his next solo album, I'd be much happier to see him team up with the Skunkworks band than Roy Z...

CHEMICAL WEDDING

......an apocalypse for me

accident /wedding, as a journalist said were the albums that never Maiden did in 90s.....
I would like to see a concept Maiden album based on a poet let's say Byron, Poe, or Blake the most beloved of all romantics

Let's say........hmmmm.....a double cd, a real metal opera. But to can achieve this they have to change the way the record I think.....to spend more time some months of studing, debating, experimenting before they enter into the studio

Perun said:
Alive At Studio A/Live At The Marquee are great listens;
*sigh* Who remembers The Marquee? It is now a pub and not a very good one either. Although it has since re-opened elsewhere.

@Anomica: I too am fairly wet behind the ears when it comes to most of Bruce's solos stuff (i.e. from his split with Maiden on), but I have found an interesting discovery in The Chemical Wedding. It is an extremely good metal album and I would recommend it to anyone who likes metal in general. And judging by the responses to your initial post, others concur that it is good, very good. Not totally overwhelmed was I with Tattooed Millionaire (I have had this CD since its release), but I do have Accident of Birth and think that is another good album - but Chemical Wedding is so much better.

The other point you made about Bruce sounding very un-Maiden in his solo stuff - well, you really would not him to just simply re-hash the Maiden sound in his own music. It's good that there is a difference.
Oh and another thought - on The Chemical Wedding, Bruce's interpretation of the words of Blake and the music of Parry (Jerusalem) is sublime.

Perun said:
Bruce's solo albums mean a lot to me. I got into them in a time when things weren't going very well for me, and I suppose they were an important factor in keeping me sane. I guess Chemical Wedding gets most credit for that, but Balls To Picasso, Accident Of Birth, Scream For Me Brazil and Tyranny Of Souls all played their part. When I listen to them today, I always get a very comfortable feeling.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend you to listen to the other three, though. Maybe Tattooed Millionaire isn't exactly top-notch, but Skunkworks and Alive At Studio A/Live At The Marquee are great listens; I only got into them much later.

Sanity is all relative, my friend. :D  Perhaps you should say more sane? :innocent:

I haven't actually had the pleasure of hearing much of Bruce's solo work, but the tracks that I have heard (Silver Wings, Tears of the Dragon, Road to Hell, Inside the Machine) are all damn good, and what I would expect from someone as talented as Bruce.

Anomica said:
On King Crimson, one of the guitar solos sound exactly as Dave Murray would but he's not credited. I guess that means he's not actually doing it, but is Roy Z's sound so damn similar to Davey's?

You are referring to the first solo that indeed was played by Roy Z. Well, I think Dave wouldn't be able to play as fast as Roy, to me, it sounds more like a solo of Janick's, though.

After the first solo, Adrian comes with a stunner that I reckon to be his best guitar solo he's ever played so far. This one is simply out of this world. Both solos are really well connected and, they sound yet better on the live version of 'King in Crimson' (which is one of my absolute favourite Bruce songs) from 'Scream for me Brazil'.

Cosmiceddie said:
You are referring to the first solo that indeed was played by Roy Z. Well, I think Dave wouldn't be able to play as fast as Roy...
Indeed, the first solo. I was thinking of the sound which - in Maiden - I find to be very distinct "Dave Murray-ish". There is a special sound quality and a "bluesey" feeling to Davey's solo's and the sound of his guitar and it's very similar on King in Crimson.

Cosmiceddie said:
After the first solo, Adrian comes with a stunner that I reckon to be his best guitar solo he's ever played so far. This one is simply out of this world. Both solos are really well connected and, they sound yet better on the live version of 'King in Crimson' (which is one of my absolute favourite Bruce songs) from 'Scream for me Brazil'.

I was a wee bit disappointed with "Scream for me Brazil" - some of the songs sound  :S tame? :S which is really suprising, but maybe it's just the sound quality. Also, my mp3-player isn't exactly top-of-the-line :(
Best Bruce solo song: Book of Thel or "Gates of Urizen" - powerful, emotional and bloody brilliant :D

Back