Bruce Undergoes Cancer Treatment (ALL CLEAR AS OF 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet: the normal procedure (correct me if I'm wrong) when finding a localized tumor is surgery. Chemo only if one needs to make sure the cancer doesn't spread, or if it is systemic (e.g. leukemia). Maybe they opted for chemo here (instead of surgery) in order to increase the chances of Bruce keeping his ability to sing?
I haven't really had much to add here, that others haven't already said; but this is the most worrying aspect of the, otherwise, quite upbeat/chirpy reporting of the prognosis. The website report does not, understandably, go into specifics ("tests and biopsies which revealed a small cancerous tumour at the back of his tongue"); that aside, surgery is the first option in Oral/Mouth cancer (the obvious diagnosis, interpreting what is being reported). It is highly unlikely that someone with a tumour, however small, did not have surgery, then chemo./radiotherapy. I don't think they would have listened to any patient (& I don't think Bruce sounds like the sort of guy who would ignore medical advice in any case) who presented with the argument: I'm a singer, I think I'll pass on the surgery bit & just go with chemo./radiotherapy.

My guess is, that they just didn't want to mention this, because of the understandable questions that would arise in regard to Bruce's vocation as a singer. It's hard not to be really, really concerned. I don't think there's any chance of Maiden (with Bruce) touring any time soon, certainly not this year; and there's a high likelihood that Bruce will never sing (comparable to his current standards) again. I really hope Bruce & his family are given the time & privacy they need. I don't see any positives in this news.

Last edited:
I think you summed up my thoughts through this, in a more reasonable tone and wording (I may have reacted in a too dramatic way a few pages back, but it's my way of coping, trying to look at it from the worst angle while hoping to come out on top). The press release seems like a standard optimistic form of breaking the news, which is commonplace no matter what is actually believed. I don't blame anyone for wanting people to stay optimistic, but it's harder and harder the more I learn about the condition and compare it to what has been said. Only doing chemo and radiology seems to be reserved for the inoperable, already too far gone. That leaves a tiny hope for what has been said to be the truth, or either option that's left.

Of course there's ethical issues with speculation this way on the internet for anyone to read, but I hope everyone understands the need for coping with feelings and fears in groups rather than keeping everything to yourself.

Only doing chemo and radiology seems to be reserved for the inoperable, already too far gone. That leaves a tiny hope for what has been said to be the truth, or either option that's left.
There are other (slightly less worrying) possibilities, from a medical/clinical perspective; but the press release doesn't really give enough detail.
Of course there's ethical issues with speculation this way on the internet for anyone to read, but I hope everyone understands the need for coping with feelings and fears in groups rather than keeping everything to yourself.
Indeed; I have no idea what exactly they found on Bruce's tongue, I'm just talking generally. The press release is what it is; I didn't expect it (& don't expect any future "updates") to say much else. Still, it's dreadful news.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it as this, as I don't think my speculation is particularly helpful here. Let's just wait and see what news we get over the next few months.

Eh I typed a long post but then just said fuck it. That thing they wrote is masterfully written and can be interpreted in a number of ways. IMO odds about him going back to Maiden like nothing ever happened are about 70% based on the article alone. 30% that he'll have to stop singing. I just don't think they'd say "return to full fitness" if it meant he wouldn't be able to sing.

I read it exactly as Wingman did when I first saw it. I don't see the Maiden camp being over-optimistic to the point of being misleading. They acknowledge that there are still many uncertainties, but it looks like they also waited to see how Bruce's treatment went, and now feel a lot more confident about his health, and indeed the likelihood of him performing in future. Chemo and radiology can have health complications of their own, it will take him some time to recover from the treatment itself.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to be back here for some time. I have a friend who has an advanced stage of cancer, and it's quite upsetting all round.

I've read this thing maybe 50 times. Asked everyone around me to read it, to see if they can shed light. I've done internet research. And of course, have been religiously reading all of your angles and thoughts, insights etc. a couple of things: The optimism is indeed sounding authentic, and it is very possible this thing was tiny, isolated, and will never cause further harm. Although the piece is respectfully brief and geared towards the privacy of our hero and his family, it is quite full of information. A routine checkup; insinuates Bruce may not have even been aware of the the tumors' presence. It may have been QUITE tiny.
And in extreme early stage. The treatments may have been a necessary precaution perhaps at worst.
Also the giving times/ dates as to when the "all clear" is envisioned, and furthermore, "full fitness" predicted in the following months. These are very, very optimistic gestures. ...we should all be optimistic, albeit cautiously, that Bruce will be healthy and live long. Even be back at the front! I believe, after further dissection of the piece. If this sounds like wishful thinking?of course it's my wish. But it's how I read it , thus far .And brigantium, good luck and wishes for your friend,,,,

I'm so sorry to hear that Brigs as well as all of the losses I have read about on here. I lost an uncle to cancer as well as an aunt to Lou Gehrig's who were both very wonderful and amazing people.

Hello,
New poster here and a relatively new Iron Maiden fan. I've been reading this forum for the past week and finally set up an account.
I just have one thing to say. "Where has this band been my entire life?". I own only two albums so far, NOTB (a classic after listening to a couple of times over a few years) and the self-titled debut album (also a solid album and I did not realize at first that the vocalist was a different person).

On the news of Bruce's cancer treatment, it is sad news and I wish him the best recovery. It is correct that they should be focusing on his health and rehabilitation before any matters related to the band. It will be magnificent if they continue to tour and release albums after this.
My wife is a speech therapist and when I told her this news, she wasn't too optimistic about his ability to talk or sing the same again, if any part of his tongue was surgically removed. We do not know the details of his condition and are far from medical experts, so I will trust the band's positive press release means good news.

I look forward to embarking on what I think is going to be one epic musical journey. If the other albums are as magnificent as the two I've heard are, my ears are in for a treat.

Hello,

My wife is a speech therapist and when I told her this news, she wasn't too optimistic about his ability to talk or sing the same again, if any part of his tongue was surgically removed..

Likely the reason he chose chemo over the more common surgery.

And welcome to the board and to Maiden.
Enjoy the journey. It will be epic.

Welcome aboard, 22. Don't hesitate to ask for guidance in your discoveries.

I dunno if it was the same type, but Rod Stewart had oral cancer in 2000 and he's still singing today... dunno how normally since I don't listen to Rod Stewart :p

Great to see you here 22! And for checking out other stuff by Maiden, always remember that you can stream almost every song out there on youtube and Spotify. :)

Well, us FCers have just gotten the message from Laz that magazine 100 is now delayed until May. It looks as though we probably will not get an album announcement before Bruce's situation is sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back