Bruce to produce film on Aleister Crowley

A

Anonymous

Rock star, pilot and expert swordsman — now IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson has even becomes a movie producer.

This week, Swedish newspaper Expressen reported that Dickinson is working on a film about the satanist Aleister Crowley.

"They are hoping for the Cannes festival," a source told Expressen.

Crowley has been Bruce Dickinson's idol for many years. The IRON MAIDEN song "Revelations" is said to refer to Crowley's classic claim that he was the "anti-christ 666" reincarnated. In other words, the Devil himself.

Bruce Dickinson is now involved in the pre-production of a movie inspired by Crowley, who lived between 1875 and 1947.

"The project has been going on for a while, and is still at an early pre-production stage," said Dave Pattenden from IRON MAIDEN's management. "At the moment, Bruce cannot comment on the movie."

The financing is ready and the movie is reportedly about a professor in an English university, who, after a failed experiment, becomes obsessed with Crowley's soul. Crowley himself was very much into red-haired women, and the professor becomes enchanted by a very beautiful, red-haired student.

"Bruce talked to me about this during the whole dinner," said Expressen's source. "He is producing and is probably participating creatively as well. I even think Bruce will be doing the soundtrack for the movie. I know nothing about dates yet, but I think it will be released near the Cannes festival. That's what Bruce is hoping for."
This sounds promising :)

Re: Bruce to direct film on Aleister Crowley

"Are Iron Maiden satanists?  No, we're not."
      - Bruce Dickinson, introduction to Revelations, Live After Death (VHS), 1985

Hmmm.

cornfedhick said:
"Are Iron Maiden satanists?  No, we're not."
      - Bruce Dickinson, introduction to Revelations, Live After Death (VHS), 1985
There is a bit of difference to saying they are not satanists and producing a film about the life and times of one A. Crowley. By making this film, does not make Bruce from (or follow) the dark side.

A film about Aleister Crowley involving Bruce has been in the works for years - Man of Sorrows was originally recorded in 1992 as the theme of a film on Crowley that was going to be called The Chemical Wedding, had they been able to scrape up the money to make it.

I recall a fairly recent interview where Bruce said his next solo album would probably be the soundtrack of the film he was working on. I'll see if I can find the story.

Albie said:
There is a bit of difference to saying they are not satanists and producing a film about the life and times of one A. Crowley. By making this film, does not make Bruce from (or follow) the dark side.

Bruce once stated in an interview that (I think) he felt that Crowley was a bit of a misunderstood character, in that many people only remembered his evil side, and forget the fact that he had a pretty bad life (particularly childhood)[Or something similar].  I suppose Bruce sympathises with him, a bit...he certainly based most of 'Revelations' and 'Moonchild' on Crowley's works, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Bruce 'idolises' Crowley in any way.  Bruce could just as easily have written a song on scapegoating, and used quotations from Mein Kampf (although that would quite probably send the audience to sleep).

The original title of this thread ("Bruce to direct film...") was incorrect. The news report clearly indicates that Bruce will be producing the film. The thread title has therefore been modified to "Bruce to produce film...".

Shadow said:
Man of Sorrows was originally recorded in 1992 as the theme of a film on Crowley that was going to be called The Chemical Wedding

Yeah, I'd suggest renaming the film into "Chinese Democracy".

All right, I'll be the one to ask the obvious: isn't Christopher Walken an obvious casting choice for any movie produced by Bruce?  "My name is Bruce Dickinson.  Yes, THE Bruce Dickinson."

Back