Bruce Dickinson Solovivor 2024: FINALS - Round 4

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
...cause... I still haven't given up my hopes for man, like... them having ears?

:ninja:

An inferior, more boring remake of Aquarius... and those multi-tracked strained wails in the middle must be among the most annoying moments Bruce has ever commited to tape.

Sounds like a dying geezer alright.

But that aural representation of constipation aside, I just still can't get over that "taking the obvious 'biggest' song and remake it in a slightly dumber and more simplistic way on the very next album ... et voilà tout - 'a contender for Bruce's best solo song'".

Sorry for being this offensive, you do you, like it all you can, if you're able to, from what I gather you even like Bruce's lyrics... I wish you all the best, really, I just find Thel to be particulary offensive, as an idea and as its execution. In my recent relisten it really rubbed me off the wrong way.

Yeah, I think you had a case of indigestion getting in the way of your listening experience. “Thel” is a dark, devilish song that brilliantly recreates the themes from Blake’s original poem into something completely different. And disliking the multi-tracked bridge vocalizations makes me think you don’t like singing, lol, it’s a joy to hear a voice just glide and conjure up blackened visions as the music goes nuts. “Thel” is a tour de force metal masterpiece, killer from beginning to end.

Yeah, I think you had a case of indigestion getting in the way of your listening experience. “Thel” is a dark, devilish song that brilliantly recreates the themes from Blake’s original poem into something completely different. And disliking the multi-tracked bridge vocalizations makes me think you don’t like singing, lol, it’s a joy to hear a voice just glide and conjure up blackened visions as the music goes nuts. “Thel” is a tour de force metal masterpiece, killer from beginning to end.

IRYO. Really. Just to clarify:

1. yes, I find Blake incredibly overrated as well, in fact he oft reminds me of Bruce and vice versa in what I would probably call "delusions of eloquence" and "dark, edgy stuff that actually feels like teenage fanfic, mostly". In fact, it's precisely picking out Blake instead of ... dunno, Wordsworth or Whitman or Yeats or Emerson or whomever else is a tad symbollic of my mild distaste for Brucie. Sorry.

2. I don't hate the vocalisations themselves, despite my dislike of "whoahs" in general, it's just that trilling, strained, constipated "wa-YIIIIIH-yah-yih" that starts somewhere at 4:26, it just sounds completely ridiculous and I just can't stand the sound.

3. you haven't addressed my main point of complaint, that is - how is the song better than Aquarius?

1. yes, I find Blake incredibly overrated as well, in fact he oft reminds me of Bruce and vice versa in what I would probably call "delusions of eloquence" and "dark, edgy stuff that actually feels like teenage fanfic, mostly". In fact, it's precisely picking out Blake instead of ... dunno, Wordsworth or Whitman or Yeats or Emerson or whomever else is a tad symbollic of my mild distaste for Brucie. Sorry.
I don’t have many poetry takes but I like what I’ve read from Blake. Haven’t gotten through a poem longer than Thel, but a lot of his lines have stuck with me, especially “some are born to sweet delight, some were born to endless night”. His work is an interesting reflection of the seedy English underworld he was seeing, and I find it enjoyable to engage with.

2. I don't hate the vocalisations themselves, despite my dislike of "whoahs" in general, it's just that trilling, strained, constipated "wa-YIIIIIH-yah-yih" that starts somewhere at 4:26, it just sounds completely ridiculous and I just can't stand the sound.
Yeah to me it’s a fantastic display. I also like that “Killing Floor” had a similar moment but the two songs execute them differently.

3. you haven't addressed my main point of complaint, that is - how is the song better than Aquarius?
I don’t know that I can say it’s better than “Aquarius”, the two songs (and everything on AoB and TCW) are about equal for me. “Aquarius” is more adventurous; “Thel” is darker and more well-rounded. They’re kind of similar but feel like completely different experiences. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them be the ultimate finalists just as they have been in previous survivors.

Eliminated after Round 20:
Sonata (Immortal Beloved) - 14 votes
Face in the Mirror - 13 votes
Rain on the Graves - 12 votes
Mistress of Mercy - 12 votes
Expected... - without Mistress, such a banger. Face In The Mirror is simple but memorable enough. Sonata is definitely not for that many votes.

Votes:

Chemical Wedding
Jerusalem
Resurrection Men

I don’t know that I can say it’s better than “Aquarius”, the two songs (and everything on AoB and TCW) are about equal for me. “Aquarius” is more adventurous; “Thel” is darker and more well-rounded. They’re kind of similar but feel like completely different experiences. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them be the ultimate finalists just as they have been in previous survivors.
I also can't say which one is better. Aquarius, Book and Tears are my prediction for the top songs in the ranking.

Brucevivor Update.jpg

Eliminated after Round 21:
Resurrection Men - 11 votes

Bruce Dickinson Solovivor 2024
FINALS
Round 1

Tattooed Millionaire
SON OF A GUN
TATTOOED MILLIONAIRE
BORN IN '58
BRING YOUR DAUGHTER... TO THE SLAUGHTER

Balls to Picasso
CYCLOPS
SACRED COWBOYS
TEARS OF THE DRAGON
THE BREEDING HOUSE

Skunkworks
BACK FROM THE EDGE
SOLAR CONFINEMENT
INNERSPACE
STRANGE DEATH IN PARADISE

Accident of Birth
TAKING THE QUEEN
DARKSIDE OF AQUARIUS
ACCIDENT OF BIRTH
OMEGA

The Chemical Wedding
CHEMICAL WEDDING
THE TOWER
BOOK OF THEL
JERUSALEM
THE ALCHEMIST

The Best of Bruce Dickinson
BROKEN
SILVER WINGS

Tyranny of Souls
ABDUCTION
KILL DEVIL HILL
NAVIGATE THE SEAS OF THE SUN
A TYRANNY OF SOULS

The Mandrake Project
AFTERGLOW OF RAGNAROK
MANY DOORS TO HELL
FINGERS IN THE WOUNDS
ETERNITY HAS FAILED
SHADOW OF THE GODS

32 songs have made it to the finals.
You have 4 votes.
Use them wisely.

Voting for:
  • Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
  • Solar Confinement
  • Silver Wings
  • Fingers in the Wounds

Bring Your Daughter
Sacred Cowboys
Innerspace
Strange Death

If we were allowed to vote half the songs this would be a bloodbath. I'd vote for 3 entire albums.

4 votes. With all of these songs. And those are two of your choices? Absolute madness.
“Cyclops” and “Back from the Edge”, too. This take makes me question Jer’s entire taste in music.
I’m specifically voting against songs that aren’t good enough to make the top 10, but are generally overrated by the fan base, because they’ll need more votes to get knocked out. And maybe it gives my less popular darlings more breathing room.

Great to see 5 songs promoted from TMP.

Votes:

Bring Your Daughter (sorry)
Strange Death In Paradise
Chemical Wedding
Jerusalem (lately not one of my favorites, idk why)

Really tough choices, all the songs on the list are great, amazing music. Some parts of some songs are really impactful to me.

Back