British Lion 2013 Tour

UpTheIrons

Ancient Mariner
From the official website:

Steve Harris will be taking his new solo/side project British Lion out on the road next month visiting fourteen countries and twenty four cities across Europe, starting in Portugal on Feb 21. For the first time ever, and as a major surprise to many, Iron Maiden’s bass player, founder member and leader will be taking temporary leave from his Maiden activities and heading out on a full European Club tour. (full schedule and details below)

Steve comments “I love touring and live shows and I’m very excited about touring with British Lion. It’s fantastic to get out there and once again experience the sheer vibrancy of small clubs with the fans right up front and in your face. I think the fans will enjoy that too. It’s exciting, going back to the roots, and it’s going to be fantastic. We are taking this to clubs all round Europe - a full club tour, with club shows at club prices, hot, sweaty and loud . We have no idea how many people will turn out to see us as it’s obviously very recent and very new, so we have kept the venues small with tickets priced accordingly as low as we reasonably could.
I’ve known all the guys in the band for ages and, besides being great musicians, they are also good friends, which is lucky because this has been an ongoing project for many years! They’ve had to be very patient with me as, of course, I’m so involved with Maiden I don’t really get a lot of free time to work on other stuff. So it’s great to finally have the opportunity to get out and do all these shows. The reaction to the album has been really good and I think it will sound great live. We’re all planning to have a lot of fun on this tour!”
British Lion is Steve’s debut CD outside Iron Maiden and was released by EMI in September 2012. Featured alongside Steve are Richard Taylor on vocals, David Hawkins on guitar and keys, Grahame Leslie on guitar, and Simon Dawson on drums. The 10 track album was mixed by Kevin Shirley [Maiden’s longstanding producer] and has been pronounced both “brilliant” and “a big hearted ferocious triumph” by the music press who also commented that although it’s stamped with Steve’s inimitable style, it’s also very different to Maiden, so fans will be in for a whole new experience seeing and hearing these new songs played live.

http://ironmaiden.com/steve-harris-to-play-a-selection-of-european-dates-in-early-2013.html

Cool. I'll try to get tickets. Weird (but also cool) idea to see 'Arry in a club with room for 1500 people!
Perun: have you been in that Berlin venue?

SUN 10 GERMANY BERLIN COLUMBIA CLUB

See you there. Although I thought that when he said "club tour", I thought he'd be playing the really small venues. And I wish they'd chosen a better one than this, too. But still, at least he's coming here.

Perun: have you been in that Berlin venue?

Dozens of times. It's the most frequent or second most frequent venue I've been to here. I've seen Iced Earth, Grave Digger and Sabaton among others there. I don't like the place, it's pretty big with terrible acoustics. I would have loved to see them hit a really down-to-earth place like SO36 or Kato with a genuine club feel. But well.

Alright! I have seen a.o. Therapy?, Bad Religion, Helloween, Epica and Blaze(!) in the Amsterdam venue.
No eastern Europe at all. Oh well.
:/

One comfort: at least the band isn't Primal Rock Rebellion (then the disappointment would be worse).

So, they're doing a headlining tour and have only one album to tour with. Anybody putting their money on UFO covers?

They'll play almost full album, + maybe one or two that didn't make it or one or two they've made since the album release. Is my guess.

Or if they play the full album that is already around an hour all in all. .. Isn't that fairly normal for shows at venues like that? Bigger "second tier" metal bands play around an hour-ish.

The Scottish venue (Glasgow Garage) is absolutely tiny; the biggest capacity I can see quoted online is 700. But, having seen a few gigs there, I can't imagine it takes more than about 400-500.

Or if they play the full album that is already around an hour all in all. .. Isn't that fairly normal for shows at venues like that? Bigger "second tier" metal bands play around an hour-ish.

That would be terribly desapointing. I think he will play the whole album and covers. Maybe we will have some good surprises, like Golden Earring' or Tull' songs. And I think he will play some Maiden songs, this is a must-do. But if he doesn't, it's a bold choice.

If he does a Maiden song, it should be a deep cut. Something that Maiden hasn't played in the past 10+ years. Otherwise it would just be disappointing.

Maiden songs? Why the....would he play Maiden songs with British Lion? I think Steve also made a big deal about keeping those bands separate and that Maiden was his"baby" etc. I see no point of touring with this band if they are ultimately playing Maiden cover tunes...That would just be like selling it in. They are in their own band.

Maybe a few cover tunes...but well, knowing Steve he'd be 100% about this so they'll play as much of British Lion as possible I think. He will expect that people are there to hear that band, not Maiden or cover tunes...They are not a bar band y'know :D

Back