UK Politics

I am just giving the Boris Johnson framed version. ;)

Ah, that bullshit. Claiming this is a success when the trade deal is worse than what we previously enjoyed says a lot about the Leave mob. :lol:

This article hits the nail right on the head:

I am still puzzled about nationalistic views and the unduly obsession with sovereignty in this day and age. If there is anything I learnt from the financial 2007-2008 European debt crisis is that nations do not pull the strings and are at the mercy of the financial sector.

Also across Australia (and other parts of the non-EU world). They do not wish to go through all the paperwork.

I am still puzzled about nationalistic views and the unduly obsession with sovereignty in this day and age. If there is anything I learnt from the financial 2007-2008 European debt crisis is that nations do not pull the strings and are at the mercy of the financial sector.
This x1000.

I can only guess that people attempt to withdraw into the familiar and build boundaries when faced with rapid change and increased exposure to things increasingly outside of their control. Still so much of the sentiment behind the popular appeal of Brexit was intolerance of any form of control by others.

Now the ring leaders who moved leaving the EU to the forefront of political debate have got their way by harnessing that sentiment, they're floundering, trying to work out how to handle the 'nobody's the boss of me' crowd and keep the momentum on their side. A pandemic isn't really a good time to be having that debate.

I do find the Independent is getting too sensationalist these days (marginally-left-of-centre sensationalism is an underexploited niche in the British press), but this is exactly why some quarters of the Conservative party were so anti-EU. I'd contest that this guy is a leading light in his party, but there are plenty more just like him.

"A leading Tory credited with inspiring Brexit has urged Boris Johnson to cull a raft of EU consumer and worker protections, now the UK has the freedom to act."
"Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said."

I do find the Independent is getting too sensationalist these days (marginally-left-of-centre sensationalism is an underexploited niche in the British press), but this is exactly why some quarters of the Conservative party were so anti-EU. I'd contest that this guy is a leading light in his party, but there are plenty more just like him.

"A leading Tory credited with inspiring Brexit has urged Boris Johnson to cull a raft of EU consumer and worker protections, now the UK has the freedom to act."
"Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said."

I am not surprising they want to get rid of workers’ rights. Many of their families became wealthy thanks to slavery. :mad:

You do not have to look far to find them:

Last edited:
I thought doing what Hannan is saying there was the entire point of Brexit all along?

EDIT: also privatizing the NHS, but he's obviously smart enough to not say that one out loud during a pandemic.

I thought doing what Hannan is saying there was the entire point of Brexit all along?
It was among some, but mainly the more dodgy sort of business owner and those actually in the Tory party. For the rest was a wider assortment of wanting to put an end to migrant workers/non EU migrants/refugees, being told what do by 'them', disagreeing with the way farming subsidies were distributed, blaming the EU for generic political-correctness-gone-mad and litigious culture, wanting localism, stuff about losing traditions, hating bureaucracy in general, anger at the direction of the economy, and more recently because 'independence' sounds like a cool thing to have. Unless it applies to Scotland, obviously.

I ordered a package from the UK last week, I got an email on Saturday saying it was shipped and due to be delivered to me on Tuesday, it's only today that the tracking is saying that it has now left the UK.

Also, a lot of the UK supermarkets over here Tesco, M+S have fuck all stock in them, not quite as bad as the first lockdown but pretty bad.
I couldn't find garlic in any supermarket, for instance.

I ordered a package from the UK last week, I got an email on Saturday saying it was shipped and due to be delivered to me on Tuesday, it's only today that the tracking is saying that it has now left the UK.

Also, a lot of the UK supermarkets over here Tesco, M+S have fuck all stock in them, not quite as bad as the first lockdown but pretty bad.
I couldn't find garlic in any supermarket, for instance.

That's because it is probably seen as too French.

My local Waitrose had plenty of everything yesterday evening.

Last edited:
There's some OTT new red tape involved in shipping stuff to Ireland and NI. It sounds it's actually more fiddly than transporting goods between the UK and the rest of the EU, which isn't how it was meant to work.

Meanwhile:
This just gets better and better.

There's some OTT new red tape involved in shipping stuff to Ireland and NI. It sounds it's actually more fiddly than transporting goods between the UK and the rest of the EU, which isn't how it was meant to work.

Meanwhile:
This just gets better and better.

Don’t forget this:

The one about the musicians is particularly sad/pathetic, especially considering how much British musicians have inspired generations of people since the arrival of The Beatles.

Some people might finally learn one should never trust a Tory!

And not base their vote on a dislike of things including red tape when it was obvious that there'd be a lot more of that if Britain was going 'take (back) control' of something that ran fairly smoothly, and stick barriers up.

Scottish fishermen have resorted to sailing to Denmark to land their catch as Brexit red tape continues to delay exports, an industry body has said.
The Scottish Fishermen's Federation, which campaigned to leave the EU, also said the Brexit trade deal was the worst of both worlds for the industry.
Many fishermen "now fear for their future", it said.

Oh, the irony!

Guess I won't be applying for a job in the UK anytime soon, and I'll also make sure to recommend other EU citizens not to do so.

Back