UK Politics

I would say that fascism has caused this; the migrant crisis is just an excuse some people use to express their abhorrent views.

I would say this is a clear (worrying) example of the trend across Europe:

But why are people supporting fascism? I mean, it's a chicken and egg thing. I think I've firmly established my progressive, pro-integration, anti-fascist credentials here, but I do believe that the migrant crisis is part of the reasons pushing people into the right-wing. People are more likely to support extreme views in times of rapid change, and there is a lot of change going on. Quite frankly much of Europe (though certainly not all) has been extremely protected from rapid immigration in the last few decades, and racial change exposes deep-seeded feelings that many people probably are uncomfortable having.

And of course, the fascists are using the migrant crisis as a way to amplify their reach and voices. And then you have to ask why so many people want to get to the EU...

But yes. These are times for alliances, and European Union is doing several trade agreements with China, Canada and Japan and also they're doing fine with Mexico and South American countries. China is introducing very strong in Africa By the other hand USA is closing the doors to UE and Mexico. Maybe the real purpose of the visit to UK would be make stronger their relationships in trade agreements. Or just to say them: don't worry fo the europeans, come with us. Blair is just saying: Stay with the group that is going to be stronger or you are going to be alone for many years.

Tony Blair is a war criminal.
Pretty much every major world leader is, by definition. One can be a war criminal on one hand, and also have an interesting opinion on Brexit on the other. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Blair is just saying: Stay with the group that is going to be stronger or you are going to be alone for many years.
Well, he's right on this front. The USA is not a useful trading partner to the UK, their economies are too similar.

So the British Trump, Boris Johnson just became PM and the headlines have not been kind. Just read one from The Guardian, "The Clown has been Crowned..."

Please, please, please, everyone stop gracing Johnson with titles like 'The British Trump'. He would love to be thought of as Britain's Trump.

But apart from ridiculous hair and what looks like suspiciously racist leanings, he's a third rate end-of-the-pier music hall act, posing as a quaint posh oaf. He's not a brash and loud multi million dollar media whore who's into massive (if usually incorrect) statements. He's just cheesy as fuck. Unfortunately, someone obviously thought that it would be fun to have him represent the country.

Unfortunately, someone obviously thought that it would be fun to have him represent the country.

Less than 100000 members of the Conservative Party, to be more precise.

I give him a year and hope we do not see another Conservative government in this country for at least a generation.

Sadly, I think he might last longer. They wanted a gimmicky figurehead and they've got one. He'll make lots of Daily Mail reader-pleasing gestures and throw a few scraps of privilege-friendly intent to the far right. He's getting shared all over social media for acting like a novelty goon, and as we all know, no publicity is altogether bad publicity. Wish they'd just gone for Mr Bean. At least I like Rowan Atkinson.

I don't see it being easy to topple the Conservatives, unless they tear themselves apart, which isn't completely unlikely. In which case we'll be in for some very strange combinations in coalitions. Even stranger ones.

Sadly, I think he might last longer. They wanted a gimmicky figurehead and they've got one. He'll make lots of Daily Mail reader-pleasing gestures and throw a few scraps of privilege-friendly intent to the far right. He's getting shared all over social media for acting like a novelty goon, and as we all know, no publicity is altogether bad publicity. Wish they'd just gone for Mr Bean. At least I like Rowan Atkinson.

I don't see it being easy to topple the Conservatives, unless they tear themselves apart, which isn't completely unlikely. In which case we'll be in for some very strange combinations in coalitions. Even stranger ones.

I remain optimistic in these strange times and believe the Tories would tear themselves apart. The clown is not going to be able to deliver the Brexit that his supporting loonies want, so he would either get an extension from the EU, as parliament would block a no deal Brexit, or would not get one and we end up crashing out of the EU by accident against the will of parliament. Either way, a general election would soon come and there is no way many of the Tory MPs would get re-elected when voters are faced with the realities.

My money is on a compromise Labour-Lib Dem coalition, regardless of what Jo Swinson might be saying now. My hope is my daughter (now 5 years old) would not see a Conservative government for many years.

EDIT: Yes, Mr Bean would be a much better PM and, at least, would be funny and he has done some charity work with Bruce.

I would like a sensible coalition too. TBH, given that Brexit is going to have such an impact, and raise all kinds of constitutional questions, it would be fair to have a proper main party coalition including the Conservatives. Although that's pretty unlikely!

Boris doesn't have to deliver the Brexit that anyone wants. He just has to make it look like someone else's fault if something goes wrong, ideally someone foreign, and to pose as plucky and British like an Enid Blyton schoolboy stereotype. If anyone's going to give him a kicking, it'll probably be Russia. He was a total laughing stock last time. Boris is just not a good image for a figurehead.

I would like a sensible coalition too. TBH, given that Brexit is going to have such an impact, and raise all kinds of constitutional questions, it would be fair to have a proper main party coalition including the Conservatives. Although that's pretty unlikely!

That is what should have happened back in 2016!

Boris doesn't have to deliver the Brexit that anyone wants. He just has to make it look like someone else's fault if something goes wrong, ideally someone foreign, and to pose as plucky and British like an Enid Blyton schoolboy stereotype.

He can always blame his Turkish ancestors...

It never ceases to amaze me how the most racist people are sometimes just 2nd or 3rd generation migrants (German Trump being the perfect example of this). :mad:

I can't help feeling there's some very irresponsible stuff being said and done in the name of scoring cheap and short lived populist publicity wins alone. They know the EU isn't going to cave in to petty demands, so the demands they make are for the sake of posturing.

Back