UK Politics

I'm never one to take the popular choice, so at the moment my vote is swaying towards scrawling "FREEDOM" across my ballot paper.

Thank you for helping me with this, forum...

UPDATE: Farage is getting the excuses in early. Not sure if I'm particularly buoyed by this information, as it still sounds like it's going to be scarily close.

UPDATE: Newcastle, first big city result, has declared: Remain 50.7% Leave 49.3%. Remain only won by ~1800 votes. Fuck that's close; far closer than predicted. The markets have reacted already, after rallying earlier today; the pound is tanking...

UPDATE: Sunderland is in: Remain 38.6% Leave 61.3%. Expected, apparently; but not by quite so much...

UPDATE: Two Scottish results have already been declared (of five declarations): Remain 63% Leave 37% (Orkney); Remain 58% Leave 42% (Clackmannanshire).

UPDATE: First NI vote, in a strongly nationalist area: Remain 78% Leave 22% (Foyle).

Remain is leading by ~20,000 votes nationally after six declarations.
It's 00:50 GMT here; national result should be known in the next four or five hours.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Swindon result just came in: Remain 45% Leave 55%. England! What the fuck are you doing here?

NATIONALLY: Leave leads by ~7000 votes after eight declarations.
I'm going to my bed...

Looks like Wales and England vote leave, Scotland and N Ireland stay .. leave wins according to the BBC

Focusing on immigration has worked for the out camp. Telling Trumpy lies has been the deciding factor. The populist lies worked. How sad. Less than half of the immigration is EU immigration. Less than half of it, damn it. All that bullshit about taking back their country and independence day.

The EU can be changed... from within that is. Why should even the Brits still care?

I do not agree with European politicians who say: This is just a British problem. I'd love to say that as well, and I think I even did say it but I've come to realize that the stability of Europe is important and if more nations will leave we won't stand strong on issues that need unity. God let this not be the start of a domino effect resulting in extreme nationalism.

Economically this must become a disaster for the islanders. All these out voters were blinded by idotic lies. Well, I wish the out voters will be punished the hardest because they are responsible, but sadly, also the remain voters have to suffer under this stupid choice.

Farage has *already* backtracked on the £350m a week extra he said would be spent on NHS. What a farce. A barefaced liar. Video:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...edge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

This is why I am not in favor of direct democracy...
Author Simon Bestwick:
Every time we have a choice in the UK, we vote for the stupidest and most destructive option. We elect the Tories time and again, and now this. We've turned into the biggest argument against democracy on the planet.

English author Michael Marshall Smith made a brilliant statement:
The regional Brexit votes are actually a handy guide to tourists as to the areas of Britain to avoid like the fucking plague. Sunderland's problem isn't Europe. It's being Sunderland.

Smith quoted someone called Jana Carpenter (American actress, singer and guitarist based in the UK), who is more serious:
I feel so sad for the younger generation. They're Europeans. They *want* to be Europeans. And now that's been taken away from them by backward thinking and small mindedness. All the youngsters I know have been so engaged and positive and now they wake up to a day where their future has been irreparably changed. Where their country loves its neighbours a little less and is more transparent about its suspicion of outsiders. And harks back to halcyon days that they have no connection with and is entirely outdated. Sorry kids. You have to start all over again.

Well done leave voters!!!
13501983_260813360962846_2152318452058651661_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RTC
This is why I am not in favor of direct democracy...
Even if the outcome might seem pretty grim, i envy Britain for this.

They give their population a direct choice , a choice which is very thin in other european countries.

Not really, given the anti-European rhetoric started immediately after the Maastricht Treaty, it was going to happen some time.

Farage has *already* backtracked on the £350m a week extra he said would be spent on NHS. What a farce. A barefaced liar. Video:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...edge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html
Farage doesn't have any power, it's not his decision. It's up to the Conservative government how money will be redistributed, what new international agreements and trade tariffs will be introduced, and if it will give Government money to previously EU-funded services in Britain.

English author Michael Marshall Smith made a brilliant statement:
A bit harsh. Sunderland's problem is it's a former industrial area with a fucking load of relative poverty and disillusioned, disenfranchised voters. Apparently there was a huge turnout on a lot of council estates in the North East. They evidently believe the economic collapse has been caused by the EU or influx of migrant workers, or that Westminster will now spend a fortune on these areas.

So, uh, is Scotland gonna file for independence soon to join / remain in the EU?

Goodness knows. The vote is markedly different in Scotland, but whether people would push for independence again so soon on that one issue is another matter.

Farage doesn't have any power, it's not his decision. It's up to the Conservative government how money will be redistributed, what new international agreements and trade tariffs will be introduced, and if it will give Government money to previously EU-funded services in Britain.
He made a big deal out of it in his propaganda. He lured people with this.
A bit harsh. Sunderland's problem is it's a former industrial area with a fucking load of relative poverty and disillusioned, disenfranchised voters. Apparently there was a huge turnout on a lot of council estates in the North East. They evidently believe the economic collapse has been caused by the EU or influx of migrant workers, or that Westminster will now spend a fortune on these areas.
That's their stance, and they are the unfriendly anti-Europe people.

I can't change their stance but I have the choice (and a clear map) to avoid them. I don't think I'd seriously do this, but it is possible.

I think there needs to be some serious recognition from our Government how bad feeling is in these former industrial areas. It's not inherent unfriendliness to anyone, it's desperation and the feeling that modern society has marginalised and written off entire social strata. That's a breeding ground for fascism. Sunderland in particular also feels crapped on by the slightly wealthier Newcastle area, and people get pretty sick of the endless banter about all 'Mackems' being inhuman dirt. But this isn't known for being a Conservative-supporting area or one that could be won over with a little bit of work, so the Government is disinterested.

Indeed, it has to do with Britain's own actions regarding places such as Sunderland, not Europe's. Came across this quote (you might find it harsh as well?):

While it feels ironic that 'Great' Britain which has won its prosperity over the backs of colonies, slaves and foreigners will be destroyed economically by its own xenophobia and racism, it's a shame it might well drag the rest of Europe down with it. If Trump also gets elected, we'll probably be celebrating our first annual Hunger Games in a few years. I wonder if this is how some Europeans felt in the 30s during the rise of Hitler. It kind of feels like a post-apocalyptic dystopia is not that far away.

I do think we have to keep an eye on both what the Government will now try to sneak in, and where an increasingly marginalised section of the population will go. Britain's not unique in this respect, far-right sentiment is resurfacing all over Europe amid ongoing austerity, economic stagnation and acceleration globalisation. Nationalism is appealing to people who feel crapped on and stripped of their identity and importance. Isn't a far-right politician in the Netherlands now campaigning for a referendum?

Back