UK Politics

This isn't a joke: Boris Johnson led his nation out of the EU. Today he made a giant speech and says at the end that he won't(!) be a candidate to lead his party. Left many in shock and tears. Complete mayhem!

I'm not too convinced he was a serious contender anyway. He's just a personality who makes his mouth go and pretends to be an oaf. My money is on Hunt or May. Gove seems almost universally detested. Osborne is best sticking to the Chancellor's job. Not that I'd personally support any of them, though.

A Labour member has has accused a Jewish MP of being part of a right-wing media plot...at the launch of their antisemitism enquiry. Then Israel was compared to ISIS.

This is beyond parody at this point. The Momentum portion of Labour are almost as bad as the right-wing populists that they claim to fight against.

I'm not too convinced he was a serious contender anyway. He's just a personality who makes his mouth go and pretends to be an oaf. My money is on Hunt or May. Gove seems almost universally detested. Osborne is best sticking to the Chancellor's job. Not that I'd personally support any of them, though.

From afar, May seems most likely.

From afar, May seems most likely.
May is the single most authoritative person we could ever have. She is the person responsible, for example, the Snoopers Charter. If I could swallow my pride for a few days, I'd join the Tories just to vote against her.

And Boris is not PM material. Good for a laugh, and stuff, but that's it.

Personally, I don't care who they get as long as it's not May but I'm afraid I'll be on the wrong side here.

As for Labour, Corbyn is going nowhere. The Unions will make sure of that.

As for Labour, Corbyn is going nowhere. The Unions will make sure of that.
In Canada, if a party leader lost a confidence vote, he or she would have to step down. It literally just happened with our NDP. The fact that Corbyn isn't is very indicative of what kind of person he happens to be.

The issue is it's not the MPs who picked him as leader, it's the wider party and supporters.

Yip, the party members decide who the leader is, not MPs LC. Although, as you say, it still does say something about "what kind of person" Corbyn is; not sure what though.

The issue is it's not the MPs who picked him as leader, it's the wider party and supporters.
There is debate about that; a lot of so-called Non-Labour folk joined the party for no other reason to vote for him to see it end in ruin. It is just £3 to join and then you get a vote. Ed Miliband set that as a clause - one member, one vote.

I know people who joined, but it was because they had Labour sympathies anyway, just not with the Blairite camp.
I know people that joined to see it end in tears. And they were definitely not. labour sympathisers.

Farage is gone, so....
...this may well start the end of the road for UKIP. Another loss I will not mourn. To be honest, I don't really have much time for any of them.

Last edited:
Gotta love this: doing something that was asked but not meant:

From the comment section on fb where this vid was shared:

I can almost hear the utter disgust from some corners of society as they reacted to this:

"Dear BBC Newsnight,

After sending the servants home for the day once they had completed their hard labour for little wages I settled in to watch the news of the day with your programme on BBC2.

I was very happy to hear that the honourable gentlemen of the Conservative Party was calling for a return of the National Anthem at the end of the day on the BBC, after all I pay my license fee, avoid paying taxes as much as humanly possible and have a healthy affection for the Royal Family having purchased every Royal Wedding Tea Set that has been produced in the past century, and it's only right that they should receive some honour for their tireless efforts to uphold all that is good and fair about our pleasant land of Great Britian. The playing of the National Anthem reminds us of how rich and prosperous we truly are and I was tearful as I took my spoon of malt and drank the last drops of the 100 year old Scotch and rose to my feet when Kirsty Wark said they would oblige by playing God Save the Queen.

Can you imagine the absolute horror of standing in a onesie at 11pm on a cold November night thinking you are about to salute our Queen with the much loved anthem and half expecting the wonderful Katherine Jenkins to lead the nation as she has done so previously at Wembley Stadium for the Football Association Cup Final but instead you unleash upon us four spotty oiks of whom I was certain we go rid of in the year of our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Seven!

Bring back National Service for these tiresome troublemakers and as for your staff including Ms Wark I suggest a public flogging with Simon McCoy and Jane Hill from BBC News 24 providing the commentary and Nicholas Witchell, the Royal Correspondant bringing news of the Royal Blessing upon such action!

Yours No More

Disgruntled of Dunstable"

+

A common fault with Brexiteers.

They make general requests without specific details, then seem shocked and surprised with what happens...
;)

Last edited:
Funny, but probably more ammo for populist/nationalist backlash against the BBC. We've already got newspapers calling high court judges enemies of the people for ruling that Article 50 needs to be evoked by Parliament, not the PM.

People get angry with the BBC. And media get angry about high court judges.

I do not see the immediate relation, but I sure encourage everyone to keep criticizing/challenging/making ridiculous the upcoming Brexit. If that angers people and media, so be it. The Brexit itself, the consequences (and the responsible people) have asked for reactions.

Back