UK Politics

tenor.gif

Happy Golden Age, Britain!

There will now be jobs for everyone, slums will disappear, money will fall from the sky, politicians will start caring for the people, health plans will become affordable, traffic jams will vanish, trains will run on time, passports will be blue.

Enjoy it. Enjoy every little bit of it.

Just how realistic is that?

A few of my US friends are all like, "Scotland should tots secede!" And I'm like, um.... did you guys see the mess Brexit was? What currency will they use, what trade partners will they have, what international bodies will they be a part of? etc.

...and maybe Northern Ireland will get so annoyed with the customs situation that they’ll decide to reunify with the Catholics. And then you’d only have England and Wales left, and you couldn’t even call that Great Britain anymore. (Though I must say the name “Wangland” has some perverse appeal...)

Just how realistic is that?

A few of my US friends are all like, "Scotland should tots secede!" And I'm like, um.... did you guys see the mess Brexit was? What currency will they use, what trade partners will they have, what international bodies will they be a part of? etc.

Any proposal for Scottish independence is a package deal with membership to the EU. Remaining in the EU was the main reason the previous Scottish independence referendum returned a "No" result.

Any proposal for Scottish independence is a package deal with membership to the EU. Remaining in the EU was the main reason the previous Scottish independence referendum returned a "No" result.
You definitely get the sense the EU would love to have Scotland. It's doubtful they'll get a referendum anytime soon, though.

Trying to use Ireland/NI as a bargaining chip again, seeing as they don't have a whole lot to bargain with.

It seems we are getting closer to the final chapter of this soap opera and the possibility of ending up with a deal depends on a dinner between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyden.

Boris, were you not the one who campaigned in 2019 selling the British public that you had secured an oven-ready deal with the EU??? :mad::mad:

I think I have the appropriate clothing for this festive season.

boris-johnson-tory-scum-t-shirt-800x800.png

I'll be really surprised if any kind of deal is struck. Brexit is almost entirely about sentiment and momentum, there was never any kind of plan or practical strategy. They're just going through the motions so they can say they tried. It still comes back to emphasis being on the 'don't wants' - don't want any EU influence or say in any aspect of UK policy, don't want to have to pay into anything, and the EU is not likely to offer any kind of partnership without.

Obviously they'll still have to come to mutual agreements about so many issues, or stick or existing agreements, either with the EU or with member states individually, so all this will drag on for ages.

Back